Star Had her Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have worried all year about getting this heifer past her first calf. Star is a simangus heifer born to a very fine Rocking P Simangus heifer I bought from Keith Phillips in 2011. Star's Dam died of bloat one morning in the early spring of 2012. 2012 was a clover year and my renovated pastures were 50 % clover. It was impossible to manage. I had several get bloat but I only lost Clara (Star's Dam). When I found Clara dead, Star would not leave her. I would get her away and she would run back to the other end of the farm where her Dam was dead. I put her up in the crowding pen and began feeding her by hand and caring for her individually. She became a special project. She has a different personality than any other cow I have. She is independent, even arrogant. She does not show any shyness not even to most strangers. No doubt I spoil her. She responds to my voice in the same manner as a dog. She is typical of some of the robust cattle the Rocking P folks breed. Easy keepers and tend to being full-framed.

I have worried about her condition being too high for easy calving. But she delivered her calf about 3 hours ago with no trouble.
Pictures taken March 22, she must be an 8 by my guess:
35k0bh1.jpg

2v3pqgp.jpg

This was taken about 11:00 AM this morning:
2ecddh1.jpg

Good on ya! I have a special heifer myself getting close...hoping Bonnie does as well as Star.

I'm surprised you made her calve on all that gravel, I figured STAR had a swanky room in the barn.

congrats

Yes she's full framed and then some. We've had one calf today and fixing to have another. You have some lucky cows Inyati.

Always good news when heifers do it right... I was expecting one last night, but it didn't happen.. hopefully today Durga (Godess of WAR) will have it

Latest posts