Squeeze chute and other equipment recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
I am about to start a small herd of Galloways and I am looking to acquire a squeeze chute and any other equipment I need for basic handling. I'm going to start with three or so cows and build the herd up to 8-10 cows and perhaps a bull.

A basic CattleMaster squeeze chute (D90B pictured here: http://www.agdealer.com/pages/view-...row=1&Act=EQUIPVIEW&listpage=/pages/index.cfm with a automatic head cate, priced out at $1600. The optional neck extender was ~$400.

I never asked the price of the Parallel Axis chute in the picture. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference in function?

Hi-Hog also has a Parallel Axis chute that I saw a nice video on utube on. I'm going to price that out as well. I bet it is going to be more expensive than the CattleMaster above. One of the well known equipment dealers here carries a lot of the Hi-Hog stuff. It seems very well built.

I also plan on getting a round bale feeder. The model MWR pictured on the same page above was ~$400. Hi-Hog has a similar one I think.

Other than that, I think I have seen salt/mineral feeders and I am going to need a few panels and gates to setup a sheltered area for calving and/or separting an animal from the rest of the herd.

Any thoughts you can give me on equipment - what to buy, what to avoid, what is necessary, what is not... would be very helpful. I am very new at this and I figure I am better off getting decent equipment so that I can handle my cattle safely.

Here is another couple of chutes that are locally made by JKREID: http://www.jkreid.com/cattle.html. The basic one does seem a bit basic as I don't think there is too much access to the animal other than at the neck. It is $2500 though so more than the CattleMaster.

The deluxe looks very nice. It is priced at $3500. Looks to me like the deluxe one would not require me to purchase neck extender as I would have access to the neck through removable boards.

Ok I was in this situation 2 years ago when I bought my farm. I actually bought a headgate from tractor supply for 600 bucks. I used two heavy 6 foot gates on the sides so I could get access to the cows in the chute. I mounted the headgate and gates on the side to 6x6s and used dimensions reccomended on college websites for home made chute building. To mount the gates I only used the fence bolts on the top so I could swing the botton of the gate in to make more of a v chute depending on cows or calves. I ai my cows with this chute and it works fine. I made a simple door on the side to get access from behind and used 16 foot of 2x 8 walls for the rest of the chute. Its homemade and only cost me about 1300 bucks for 24 feet of chute and a headgate. By the way I only run 20 head so if I was a big cattle guy I might reconsider a priefert for 4000. As far as mineral forget it and use a block or loose in a trough. Definetly get a good round bale feeder the cheap ones under 300 last a week with a bull. If you want pics pm me and Ill go out and take some. Im only a beginner but dont go out and spend a fortune on equipment. I learned the hard way on some stuff. Oh yeah and go to farm dispersal auctions you can find some great stuff for cheap even headgates and panels.

canoetrpr":1dbcve4y said:
I'd appreciate any recommendations on which round bale feeder (design / manufacturer) is good.

Cheapest is best. Honestly, a ATM machine is not needed when buying bale feeders. I source mine from Real Industries, Rathwell, MB. I don't think there is a dealer near you. Very simple 1 1/4" square tube circular feeders, unpainted. $175.00. There are $800.00 bale feeders out there. It doesn't mean you have to buy them. :cowboy:

dont buy a cheap one the bulls throw them around and tear them it all to pieces. Buy a heavy one with skirts

I like good stuff,and I buy most of it used.After the original buyer takes the hit I can almost always get my money back out of it.

gertguy":p58w7pch said:
dont buy a cheap one the bulls throw them around and tear them it all to pieces. Buy a heavy one with skirts

You need to get different bulls. My bulls are easier on my feeders than my cows are. Bulls that are aggressive on equipment are a bad omen. :cowboy:

Back to the original question.

I am with the guy who put up a head gate and built the rest.

for a small herd you don't need thousands of dollars of equipment.

forget the automatic head gate. They are more of a problem than a solution.

For real ease of use only one simple step is needed. Easily done for a small herd but also easy for larger herds.

Give every cow a cup of feed every time you put her in the headgate. cost is negligible. time is minimal as she will be done eating before you are done what you need to do with her in the gate.

after just a time or two cows will look for an opportunity to go down the chute because something good happened there. I have to keep the pens to my chute closed or I have cows banging on the head gate at all hours of the day or night. When I did my synchrony breeding around thanksgiving every cow was standing behind the cutoff gate ready for her turn at the feed tub. I refer to it as auto loading.

I took a plastic barrel and cut it in half and stuck a big feed pan in the top bottom half. I can kick it out of the way and turn out the cow. kick it back in front of the chute and drop in a cup of feed and open the chute for the next cow. She is there ready to eat. takes maybe twenty seconds.....rather than five minutes driving and prodding the cow up the chute. Low stress and the cows don't tear up my stuff trying to avoid the chute.

I can not tell you how many people have told me it won't work for them and they still dread working cows and have to round up a crew to gather and work. the few folks who have had the courage to try it have called me and thanked me for the best tip they ever got.

pdfangus":3ci9l8wp said:
Back to the original question.

I am with the guy who put of a head gate and built the rest.

for a small herd you don't need thousands of dollars of equipment.

forget the automatic head gate. They are more of a problem than a solution.

For real ease of use only one simple step is needed. Easily done for a small herd but also easy for larger herds.

Give every cow a cup of feed every time you put her in the headgate. cost is negligible. time is minimal as she will be done eating before you are done what you need to do with her in the gate.

after just a time or two cows will look for an opportunity to go down the chute because something good happened there. I have to keep the pens to my chute closed or I have cows banging on the head gate at all hours of the day or night. When I did my synchrony breeding around thanksgiving every cow was standing behind the cutoff gate ready for her turn at the feed tub. I refer to it as auto loading.

I took a plastic barrel and cut it in half and stuck a big feed pan in the top bottom half. I can kick it out of the way and turn out the cow. kick it back in front of the chute and drop in a cup of feed and open the chute for the next cow. She is there ready to eat. takes maybe twenty seconds.....rather than five minutes driving and prodding the cow up the chute. Low stress and the cows don't tear up my stuff trying to avoid the chute.

I can not tell you how many people have told me it won't work for them and they still dread working cows and have to round up a crew to gather and work. the few folks who have had the courage to try it have called me and thanked me for the best tip they ever got.
If you really want to get down to it all you need is a chute and a pipe behind them. It is not that often when one needs a head gate. A head gate is also an extra luxury. A pare of nose tongs and snubbing post work just as well.

I would also like to ask why people think they need to trap the head if not working on the head?

Here's a link to a thread showing a pic for building your own mineral feeder:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49847&hilit=make+mineral+feeder
This is called "Dun's mineral feeder" - but I think maybe way back in history - I told Dun how to build them.
Anyway, they are cheap and easy to build. We have them hanging from trees in all our pastures.
There are lots of different kinds of feeders. Basic "styles" have been rated numerous times by universities.
#1 cone type
#2 ring type
#3 wagon type
The cone style is VERY expensive - supposedly save enough hay to pay for them??? We use heavy duty ring feeders with skirts. Too heavy for me to pick up (except real cheapos), so I use tractor spear to move them around, therefore they have to be made of heavy steel.
Whatever you get for a headgate/workchute - remember, you need to be able to give all shots in the neck region, you need to be able to get to their rear end for AI if you ever want to AI, you need to be able to get to their feet and/or udder. If you build your own, like explained, be sure to put some way to put a verticle bar to hold the cow in the chute when you open the gate. Our chute opens on both sides, hinge is on the back so it opens at the edge of the headgate. Hubby put a ring top & bottom so we can slide a heavy duty bar in place. That way you can work on feet and/or udder when needed with gate wide open.
There is not a lot of money in the beef business, therefore, you need to keep your expenses as low as possible. You should definately invest in a pair of OB chains & handles - cheap investment. Also an esophegeal (sp?) tuber for newborns.

novatech":2sqli3k2 said:
I would also like to ask why people think they need to trap the head if not working on the head?

Exactly.

If just starting out, a medina gate and alley would be where I'd go. I would have nose clamps just in case of an emergency and probably never use them. I would spend my nickels on a solid alley, loading chute and robust medina gate. I would build from there if need be.

Currently I have two squeeze chutes and a portable unit with a head gate. For innoculations, tagging, worming and most all other maintenance I use a medina gate. Less stress on the animals.

Some of the set ups folks put together looks as if they are going to work 200 head a day, 365 days a year but they only have a few dozen head. Makes no sense. If they can afford it and that's what they want, its their right to spend the money.

Dad and Grandad ran them into a loading alley with a blind on the end. I was the one sliding block boards in the rails behind the cows. First time I ever saw a squeeze chute it was amazing. Studied for an hour in awe.

Folks, thank you for your excellent thoughts and for allowing me to draw on your expertise. I had not thought either about an alley or a loading chute. I'm going to be pricing them out.

I guess I just never thought about how my cattle are going to be getting in and out of a trailer. I don't have a trailer either and I am going to be relying on someone to deliver my cattle to me or borrowing a trailer. Suffice it to say that I don't intended to be taking cattle anywhere once my first cows arrive - at least for a couple of years.

I think that I have figured out that I will get the ring feeder from E.S. Martin. They - the Menonites build pretty rugged but basic stuff. If I need an alley and loading chute, I imagine they will be the best price as well so I'm going to price them out.

Still not quite sure which direction I will go on a squeeze. Ideally I would like to get one piece of equipment that will allow me to do tagging, innoculation, access to neck for needles, AI, calving assistance, access to hooves etc. etc. etc. The basic chutes have solid sides and so they don't qualify as far as I can tell. Sounds like a home made design or a Medina might do it? Alternatively I will be going for one of the more deluxe chute models. Waiting on pricing for the E.S. Martin Parallel Axis squeeze. The JB Reid one is $3500 without a palp. cage or $4k with. The Hi-Hog is $5500 (OUCH!!). I talked to one of the dealers today and he pointed out to me that he has found that there is always a market to re-sell a used Hi-Hog. He's had several people resell theirs back after 6 years or so and ended up getting what they have paid.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to spend more money then I need to here. This is going to be a hobby. However I want to get setup so that if I do have to access my cows in a time of need, I can do it in the safest way possible - bearing in mind that I'm completely new at this. My gut feel is that a novice like me best off spending the money to restrain his cows in the best way possible so that he can have safe access to their udders and feet where someone experienced would get away with a lot less equipment due to there advanced cow sense. Correct me if I am wrong on this please!

we built our alley and crowding tub. We used 2x6's and rail ties and pannels. It was cheap in terms of buying a system out right. Two things that were the best purchases we ever made.
1. a good sqeeze. Wish we done it sooner. Makes our job easier and less stress on the cow or bull when you have them imobilized. The one we bought can be worked by one person, two is easier. It is big for handling calves on the first round of vaccinations. (If we rebuild our herd we will buy a calf tip table.) Make sure the one you get will be able to service you bulls for vet inspection. Some of the smaller ones will get banged up pretty bad if the chute is too small. Some cows get pretty big. We have had a few big girls not to happy getting into the chute. Once in they were ok. Too small and the cow or bull will not want to go in.

2. the maturnity pen. Wow. really wish we did this sooner. If your herd stays small, a good chute will do. You will need side access for milking, getting the calf to suck if there is a problem, C section or a pull.

We are scour guarding on Saturday. If i get a chance i will take a few pics on our set up. Maybe you can take some cheap ideas from it to build your own.
1. Safety first, always plan for an exit incase you get into trouble working your cows. Make sure what ever you build has the ability to climb to get to safety. Realize it will not just be you doing the work, so plan.
2. less stress on the cows.
3. less stress on you if you do not have to fight with your cows. Less stress on the rotary cuff in the shoulder, less stress on the feet from getting stepped on, less chances of getting kicked,
4. think like a cow when you build. People laugh at me when i say this, but a cow sees differrently than we do...physically. Notice how they turn side to side when walking in the pasture, rarely a straight line. It is to see behind them, and in front of them. Now the part you laugh at. To get the idea of how a cow sees, take both your fist and put them together, thumbs together like a ball. Then take that fist and put it up in the center of both eyes, above the nose. See how you can not see straight ahead. Your periferal is all you have. For a cow, straight a head is in their periferal....just some thoughts

canoetrpr":3jouem23 said:
My gut feel is that a novice like me best off spending the money to restrain his cows in the best way possible so that he can have safe access to their udders and feet where someone experienced would get away with a lot less equipment due to there advanced cow sense. Correct me if I am wrong on this please!
With 8 cows it will never pay out economically. No matter what you have to restrain them you still do not have the experience or knowledge to know what to do after you get them restrained. Normal maintenance does not require much restraint. A normal chute with a gate at both ends, or just a pipe behind them at the rear, is all that is necessary. It is nice to have a walk plank on the working side. You can vaccinate or pore wormer on from above. That is much safer than through planks or rails. The cattle usually just stand their while you do this. Anything else, from what it sounds like, is beyond you. Cattle do not need all the help or care that you mention as a normal rule. Mine go through the chutes once or twice a year. For anything else I suggest you take them to the vet. Watch the vet and learn. After a few years of experience you can re-evaluate what you require or do not require. I would take the money and buy a few more cows. I think the selection of those cows may be a more important issue at this time. Definitely something docile.
Personally I think squeeze chutes are dangerous to the cattle and worker. They excite the cattle and are way over used. Just the opinion of an old phart that normally works his bremmers by himself. Bad help is worse than bad facilities.

novatech":29iwhq73 said:
canoetrpr":29iwhq73 said:
My gut feel is that a novice like me best off spending the money to restrain his cows in the best way possible so that he can have safe access to their udders and feet where someone experienced would get away with a lot less equipment due to there advanced cow sense. Correct me if I am wrong on this please!
With 8 cows it will never pay out economically. No matter what you have to restrain them you still do not have the experience or knowledge to know what to do after you get them restrained. Normal maintenance does not require much restraint. A normal chute with a gate at both ends, or just a pipe behind them at the rear, is all that is necessary. It is nice to have a walk plank on the working side. You can vaccinate or pore wormer on from above. That is much safer than through planks or rails. The cattle usually just stand their while you do this. Anything else, from what it sounds like, is beyond you. Cattle do not need all the help or care that you mention as a normal rule. Mine go through the chutes once or twice a year. For anything else I suggest you take them to the vet. Watch the vet and learn. After a few years of experience you can re-evaluate what you require or do not require. I would take the money and buy a few more cows. I think the selection of those cows may be a more important issue at this time. Definitely something docile.
Personally I think squeeze chutes are dangerous to the cattle and worker. They excite the cattle and are way over used. Just the opinion of an old phart that normally works his bremmers by himself. Bad help is worse than bad facilities.

I couldn't agee more best post I have read in a long time IMO.

Caustic Burno":1oquu8zl said:
novatech":1oquu8zl said:
canoetrpr":1oquu8zl said:

dittoes for an outstanding and informative post.

I have a neighbor lady who has a small herd and all her cows are halter broke and she does not have a chute at all. If you got 5 grand itching to find a new home I would be happy to sell you somthing but if you get decent cows as advised by novatech and handle them gently and humanely you can get by with just a good gate mounted thirty inches from a corner and do everthing short of tattoing a mature animal. (There should be no reason to have to tattoo a mature animal.)

now that i am back down to a hobby herd just to keep me broke and off the street I intend to halter break every calf at weaning. Bulls and heifers. The cows I have let are all gentle and can be petted anywhere in the field. They come to call.

I have been a cattleman and a cowboy for fifty years. I have worked cows horseback all day long. I have used good cattle dogs. I have roped and wrassled bulls to deal with em. I have had good horses knocked out from under me. I been stomped and trampled and horned. I survived and ain't nobody out there can embarass me about my few little cows being pets. I have cows now becasue I like em and I like em a lot better when they are easy to get along with. One thing I have learned is that with cows Slower is both Better and Faster.

Caustic Burno":1fyfw87j said:
novatech":1fyfw87j said:
Bad help is worse than bad facilities.

Someone who comes to "help" breaks into a run and whoops out loud. You've just added a minimum of 4 hours to your day.

My friend has a headgate with two 8 foot fence gates, connected together by a chain.
He brought it over to steer my 550 lb bull T-Bone.(purbred baldie)
We set it up in the doorway to the stable.
To my surprise he walked right after the feed bucket, had his head in the grain and
never flinched as he was banded.

Tbone.jpg

Latest posts