Squeeze chute and other equipment recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you folks sharing your experience with me. I will admit that I am an equipment hound and having a hobby herd is not about making money for me. That said, I'd like to lose as little money as possible :).

Without a doubt I plan to get as tame cows as I can. I train dogs at a competive sport and with that background will use all that is available to me wrt positive reinforcement to train my animals to ensure that I can handle and touch them. I intend to halter break every calf born here just because I can.

I have the opportunity to acquire my first few cows fr a herd that is being dispersed/reduces from a retiring farmer. From what I can tell none of these cows are wild but they are not as tame as I expect calves handled daily on my farm will be either.

I will call my vet and ask him what handling equipment he needs me to have in case I will need his assistance to pull a calf. What about AI? Will a basic chute be adequate for AI and calving help?

canoetrpr":3at6lha4 said:
What about AI? Will a basic chute be adequate for AI and calving help?

Anything that keeps the cow from moving around too much is all that's required for AI. For pulling a calf about all you need is a way to restrain her (when she's probably pretty stirred up) so you can put a halter on her. If at all possible we never pull a calf in the chute or alleyway. Get a halter on her and tie her to somethingg solid. That way if she goes down you don;t have the problem of trying to untangle her to get her back up when you're done.

Plus, if she goes down IN a chute/alleyway, it may be in a way that you are totally unable to pull the calf. When needing to assist, we put the cow in the chute, put a halter on her and back her up into the "alley" with a bar behind her. We tie her to the back end of the chute, and the alley opens up as a swing gate, so she can lay down.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ms0htoi said:
Plus, if she goes down IN a chute/alleyway, it may be in a way that you are totally unable to pull the calf. When needing to assist, we put the cow in the chute, put a halter on her and back her up into the "alley" with a bar behind her. We tie her to the back end of the chute, and the alley opens up as a swing gate, so she can lay down.
We let her out the front and tie to the front end of the chute.

canoetrpr":35vj23hq said:
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you folks sharing your experience with me. I will admit that I am an equipment hound and having a hobby herd is not about making money for me. That said, I'd like to lose as little money as possible :)

You can listen to all the BS you want about all the gentle cows that let you stick needles in them, stick your arm up their arse and cut abcesses off their faces. The first time you have an animal decide it is going to not participate in your little dream world, you may remember this post.

People who know way more than you do depend on proper equipment to prevent getting their heads caved in and their guts kicked out.One cow is all it takes.

You seem to have good judgement on what you may need,( I bought a Mennonite chute and headgate for $1500 7 years ago, all I will ever need ). Ask around, feed stores, machinery dealers, and do attend auctions. ISell, Ebay etc...

Wait a little while, there will be a post about someones quiet bull or cow killing them, usually an experienced handler. Talking to your vet is a good idea as well.

You shouldn't spend more than you need to, but you need to spend for what you need. If it prevents something minor like a broken arm or a set of dentures, maybe it will pencil out even anyways,

AngusLimoX":2px1a8em said:
canoetrpr":2px1a8em said:
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you folks sharing your experience with me. I will admit that I am an equipment hound and having a hobby herd is not about making money for me. That said, I'd like to lose as little money as possible :)

You can listen to all the BS you want about all the gentle cows that let you stick needles in them, stick your arm up their arse and cut abcesses off their faces. The first time you have an animal decide it is going to not participate in your little dream world, you may remember this post.

People who know way more than you do depend on proper equipment to prevent getting their heads caved in and their guts kicked out.One cow is all it takes.

You seem to have good judgement on what you may need,( I bought a Mennonite chute and headgate for $1500 7 years ago, all I will ever need ). Ask around, feed stores, machinery dealers, and do attend auctions. ISell, Ebay etc...

Wait a little while, there will be a post about someones quiet bull or cow killing them, usually an experienced handler. Talking to your vet is a good idea as well.

You shouldn't spend more than you need to, but you need to spend for what you need. If it prevents something minor like a broken arm or a set of dentures, maybe it will pencil out even anyways,
I Agree!!!!!!!!!!

shadyhollownj":151fhq2x said:
Ok I was in this situation 2 years ago when I bought my farm. I actually bought a headgate from tractor supply for 600 bucks. I used two heavy 6 foot gates on the sides so I could get access to the cows in the chute. I mounted the headgate and gates on the side to 6x6s and used dimensions reccomended on college websites for home made chute building. To mount the gates I only used the fence bolts on the top so I could swing the botton of the gate in to make more of a v chute depending on cows or calves. I ai my cows with this chute and it works fine. I made a simple door on the side to get access from behind and used 16 foot of 2x 8 walls for the rest of the chute. Its homemade and only cost me about 1300 bucks for 24 feet of chute and a headgate. By the way I only run 20 head so if I was a big cattle guy I might reconsider a priefert for 4000. As far as mineral forget it and use a block or loose in a trough. Definetly get a good round bale feeder the cheap ones under 300 last a week with a bull. If you want pics pm me and Ill go out and take some. Im only a beginner but dont go out and spend a fortune on equipment. I learned the hard way on some stuff. Oh yeah and go to farm dispersal auctions you can find some great stuff for cheap even headgates and panels.

Ok I see all the posts on here pulling you in different directions. Like I said in my previous post I handle all my cattle twice a year 17 head total. Worming, shots, palpating and even ai is done in my homemade chute and automatic headgate. Everything is also done by me the concrete contractor. A vet has never stepped foot on my property yet knock on wood. I have never raised animals in life before I bought the farm two years ago. I definetly dont walk up and give any shots to my cattle with them not in the headgate. Most are calm but every now and then someones in a bad mood. The only one I can give shots to just standing there is my bull of all animals. An expensive squeeze chute will be the biggest waste of money you could buy. I agree with others. Just spend you money on better or more stock.

If your going to keep it for life,buy what ever gets the job done in a safe way.If you ever want to upgrade,get rid of the cows or just need some cash,it's hard to sell junk.I can't think of a time I ever wished I had bought a lower quality item.

AngusLimoX":22qcpvie said:

My first mental response to this post is something I cannot post on these boards. So I will just say I highly resent your accusation of me and others having given advice that is BS. There are some people on these boards that come from an era of where heading an healing was not just a rodeo event. We did not have the luxury of a head gate much less a squeeze. We worked cattle with dogs that had not seen humans for a year at a time. Where the cows would come through 2X oak corrals just for sport. The fact that you may not have the knowledge to handle cattle does not give you the right to judge me or any of the others on these boards for good advice. I personally have a definite lack of knowledge on a lot of things where cattle are concerned but I can tell you when it comes to handling them safely I shine. I am not about to give some greenhorn advice that I think would get them hurt. That includes you.

{sarcasm on} Hey canoetrpr, just go to TSC and get you a set of nose tongs and you will be all set!!{sarcasm off}

I looked at the links you put up and the unit I have is the JK Reid manual headgate and deluxe chute, except mine has gotta be 30 plus years old. Works great, very heavy duty.
There is a farm equipment show in February in TO, you should try to get there if you can. All the manufacturers are there and you can try the stuff. Some of the new stuff is almost silent in operation, which is important.

Dont worry about loading equipment, just have a way to get them facing the trailer( your new alley chute and gate ?), they will usually just step up on.

Got a calf puller yet? They have them at the show as well.

The shows are one thing, but he'd be better served just coming over and watching me go through a working. Then watch a few more folks go through a working.

He'd see it all, in real life perspective. He'd probably miss a calf being pulled or stitching up things.

If he wants to drop a whole lot of nickels on fancy things, it is his right.

I do have a set of nose clamps. Hopefully they'll never be used again. If I lost them, I'd buy another set just because you never know what will happen at 3 a.m.

As I said earlier, the first time I ever saw a squeeze chute, I stared in awe for a long time. I do own a couple.

The farm show is a great idea. I think I will work for half a day and check it out. I might be able to get a good deal on whatever equipment I decide to buy.

Without a doubt, I need to spend time with people who know what they are doing. I plan on doing this.

You probably paid a LOT less for your J.R. Reid Deluxe Chute then they are now. $3500 today.

canoetrpr":cfvfos1h said:
The farm show is a great idea. I think I will work for half a day and check it out. I might be able to get a good deal on whatever equipment I decide to buy.

Without a doubt, I need to spend time with people who know what they are doing. I plan on doing this.

You probably paid a LOT less for your J.R. Reid Deluxe Chute then they are now. $3500 today.
Frequently at farm shows by the last day you can get some pretty good deals if you are willing to take something they brought and didn;t sell. That way they don;t have to haul it back

canoetrpr":2hw3o1pq said:

As the date gets closer let me know which day you might go, maybe we can have a coffee or something cooler. :lol: Thought about doing your own AI ? I can introduce you to the folks that teach at Gencor. All depends on if I can get away.

As soon as I hear back from my vet I will be running 40 or so through my system, I am east of Belleville so if that interests you let me know. ( Good idea Boogie ).

I paid around 1500 for the chute and headgate, plus the fella I bought it from charged me for delivery.
Lottsa better used deals out there right now with folks bailing out. Only other thing I have is a crowding tub - you would love it but I wouldn't have one for 10 cows.

backhoeboogie":2lhrc82c said:
The shows are one thing, but he'd be better served just coming over and watching me go through a working. Then watch a few more folks go through a working.

He'd see it all, in real life perspective. He'd probably miss a calf being pulled or stitching up things.

I do have a set of nose clamps. Hopefully they'll never be used again. If I lost them, I'd buy another set just because you never know what will happen at 3 a.m.

As I said earlier, the first time I ever saw a squeeze chute, I stared in awe for a long time. I do own a couple.
Best idea yet. They could bring along the other guys that think the only way to vaccinate a cow is to put them in a head gate.:roll:

novatech":1csueiuj said:
backhoeboogie":1csueiuj said:

Best idea yet. They could bring along the other guys that think the only way to vaccinate a cow is to put them in a head gate.:roll:
And don't forget that calf table. ;-)
Folks like Richard King and John Chisum, and the like, never could have made it without that kind of equipment.

Angus Cowman":uiytddcl said:
Ryder":uiytddcl said:
The man that invented the calf table has probablybeen cused and more than any other human on earth

Those are the worst and most cantankerous and useless inventioned EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thinking that a cow should be in the same category

dun":gw2ksegi said:
Angus Cowman":gw2ksegi said:
Ryder":gw2ksegi said:
The man that invented the calf table has probablybeen cused and more than any other human on earth

Those are the worst and most cantankerous and useless inventioned EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thinking that a cow should be in the same category
I think you are both right. :nod:

Latest posts