Spring Work up time

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
It is that time for us again to vaccinate, de worm, retag, de nut, etc. etc.

Read something about sterilizing needles and such. We just use plastic disposables, while we buy a lot of them they are cheap and we just toss 'em on each animal, I used to draw 'em up the night before but, read where it's not a good idea.

How far in advance do you draw up your needles.??? :?:

Herefordcross":2xrt0p9q said:

About 5 minutes or less.

I've copy-catted a method they use where I work. They use small coolers, like the lunch box sized ones filled with ice to keep all the vaccine bottles cool while not in use, and draw the needles chute-side at time of vaccination.

Katherine

They use small coolers

I won't need a cooler the way the weather looks the next several days here, anyway.

I have seen peole draw 'em up and mix vaccines in the same syringe and we do that as well, never had any problems and there are thousands of cattle around here that have never seen a needle

Herefordcross":b1gh05vx said:
I won't need a cooler the way the weather looks the next several days here, anyway.

Yes, the forecast for Sunday doesn't look too promising. If anyone were to be doing work-ups around here the last few days, they certainly wouldn't have needed a cooler. :lol:

Katherine

Herefordcross":2z3ev49h said:

We always used an automatic syringe that could be set to different dosages, and filled it immediately prior to vaccinating. The bottles were kept in a cooler with ice packs to keep them cool if they required refrigeration. The needles were used until they bent or developed a burr, then they were replaced.

How are you msscamp? I stay away from the automatic equipment, I had a bad experience with a high dollar automatic getting it to hold the adjustment was a joke. While it takes a little more time, I just order a few hundred disposables each year, 12ml size, and I may reuse the syringe a couple of times but, not the needle, it's just me I guess. I've been laughed at more than once for drawing all of those needles up. I do use the small automatic on the pinkeye vaccine, but, this year it was several dollars cheaper for the pinkeye vaccine in the 10 dose bottles for some reason. We use the Ivomec plus injectable and it calls for auto. syringe equipment only but, I rarely use it that way, I called their 800 number and they said it was written that way to keep it sterile but, if you're using a clean needle everytime you hit the bottle then I can't see where it makes a difference. I vaccinate like they give a person a shot, clean needles! It takes more time, and aggrivation but, I know a jagged needle won't let the vaccine or what have you leak back out of the animal.

Herefordcross":21ljotd2 said:
How are you msscamp?

I'm doing ok, thanks for asking. :)

I stay away from the automatic equipment, I had a bad experience with a high dollar automatic getting it to hold the adjustment was a joke.

Well, each to their own. If we all did things the same way, it would be very boring.

While it takes a little more time, I just order a few hundred disposables each year, 12ml size, and I may reuse the syringe a couple of times but, not the needle, it's just me I guess.

Again, each to their own. I have to say, though, your vet clinic must be much cheaper than the ones around here when it comes to disposable syringes.

I've been laughed at more than once for drawing all of those needles up.

I don't doubt that.

I do use the small automatic on the pinkeye vaccine, but, this year it was several dollars cheaper for the pinkeye vaccine in the 10 dose bottles for some reason. We use the Ivomec plus injectable and it calls for auto. syringe equipment only but, I rarely use it that way, I called their 800 number and they said it was written that way to keep it sterile but, if you're using a clean needle everytime you hit the bottle then I can't see where it makes a difference.

Apparently, you've never heard of washing a syringe and needle with hot, soapy water - a darned sight cheaper in the long run. We've re-used 'disposable' syringes and needles for quite some time and never had a problem with it - even when they were used on the dreaded salebarn cattle. Just a little something to think about.

The disposable syringes aren't too bad if you buy them in bulk (12cc-$17.50/80 from VV). I try and use those for the Cattlemaster shots, then wash them and throw them in the "used" bin for everything else (antibiotics, etc). Got one of those 50cc automatics for the blackleg medicine, wonderful thing to have, also good for giving large doses of LA-200 or the like. I don't use it with the MLV vaccines, nervous about using a syringe that has had antibiotics in it with those expensive shots.

cfpinz

I too use the automatic syringes, Msscamp. I really appreciate their ease of use. The needles cost 3 cents each, which makes the automatics much cheaper in the long run.

However - I do NOT use soapy water to clean them. The soap residue can render vaccines useless the next time you use them. I just dissemble the syringe and boil for 15 minutes in clean water. Since I have hard water, I typically buy distilled water from the store for only that purpose.

Dusty Britches":24ikxx4k said:
I too use the automatic syringes, Msscamp. I really appreciate their ease of use. The needles cost 3 cents each, which makes the automatics much cheaper in the long run.

However - I do NOT use soapy water to clean them. The soap residue can render vaccines useless the next time you use them. I just dissemble the syringe and boil for 15 minutes in clean water. Since I have hard water, I typically buy distilled water from the store for only that purpose.

Thank you, Dusty! :)

Latest posts