Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungAngusCattle

Reaction score
I saw the thread for fall breeding, but I can't be the only one that is starting too narrow down my semen selection and AI protocol for spring. As of right now I am considering using these bulls:

SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

KCF Southside (already have in tank, good numbers with high accuracy, that HP EPD is very intriguing, a good option too add frame on some smaller cows, might add too much frame.)

SAV Extension (already have heifer semen in tank, like the double EXT on the top side combined with 4136 on the bottom, would be interesting to bred the heifers with my SAV bull having 4136 on the top and bottom of his pedigree, would like to see a better DMI and RADG but the low acc doesn't have me that concerned.)

Kramers Apollo (the HP is great, the moderate DMI and RADG is nice, good $M, the milk might be a little much for me, haven't really heard much about this bull and can't figure out why.)

TEX Playbook (affordable semen, powerful looking phenotype with a good set of maternal EPDs too back it up, a positive $EN which is hard to find nowadays, terrible foot EPDs but I don't think we have enough data collected on that to use that as a selection tool yet.)

Duff Goose (attracted to the phenotype of this bull, like the heavy OCC influence on the top side combined with useable EPDs, could be used to bring down those large framed cows that aren't as easy doing as we'd like, the HP is a little scary, looks like he will take quite a bit of frame off which could contribute to the CEM there.)

ZWT Summit (like the cow power in the pedigree, sexed semen available, can moderate milk, haven't really looked too heavily into this bull yet.)

As of right now I'm leaning toward using the rest of my sexed Extension semen, using the rest of my Bruiser and getting some Playbook.

As far as my plan, I'm gonna get all my cows up in early April/end of March to worm them, like I do every year, but this time I'm gonna give multimin. Then proceed with the 7 day synch too breed in May, AI anything that comes into natural heat before the synch, and turn the bulls out in June.

Simmental bulls:
I plan to narrow my semen purchase down this year also. I have quite a few great bulls in the tank that I need to use up. This year's calf crop is 2 or 3 of this bull & 2 or 3 of that bull.
W/C Executive Order - plan to use quite a bit. Have a couple coming
MR CCF 20-20 - have a few coming and plan to use heavier.
TKCC CLASSIFIED - Love his calves - not a CE bull - will continue using
Mr CCF Clarified - a 20-20 son - 1st calves coming
LLSF PAYS TO BELIEVE ZU194 - few coming - not planning to buy more
W/C Bankroll - 3 or 4 coming. Not planning to buy more
Mack AF - (red bull) - go to red bull but not a calving ease bull - got 4 coming & will continue to use
Kappes Pendleton - only had 1 coming and it was a heifer (will be in the Stars & Stripes Sale. Would breed a bunch to him,
but semen not available
W/C HOC HCC Red Answer 33B - 3 bred to him. 1st one born - top notch heifer!! Don't think his semen is available. (edit: he is hetero polled, so I'm not crazy about that).

Looking for a great red bull to replace Pendleton. Looking at Felt Last Call. There are TONS of great BLACK bulls available, but limited GREAT red bulls. Looking for structure, volume, muscling, growth with great feminine front ends.

Emblem looks really promising.
Shiefelbein Attractive sure produces nice calves. I really like his son Showman.

We will probably try to sample SAV Emblem, use some America to flush and use our remaining U-2 Coalition. We also will use Sitz Accomplishment again if his calves look nice this Spring

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Simmental bulls:
Looking for a great red bull to replace Pendleton. Looking at Felt Last Call. There are TONS of great BLACK bulls available, but limited GREAT red bulls. Looking for structure, volume, muscling, growth with great feminine front ends.

Last Call looks pretty good. I think he should throw plenty of white with the white foot and all the white underneath him. I see there are a couple more red bulls out of Executive Order that showed up recently from Altenbergs and Paint Brush.

We will use a bunch of different bulls to match up to cows. Some on the list are Oracle, Epic, Bankroll, Executive Order, Sure Bet, Milestone, Ironhide, Brilliance, Cowboss, and some others on cows with Black Hawk, Big Timber, and High Stakes on the heifers.

From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I'm considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser

Josher said:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I'm considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser
Do you have any Stunner calves? I've got 2 bulls really like them so far, couldn't find any semen to use him again really hurt my feelings.

Franke - funny you would mention Paint Brush - Cattle Vision just announced carrying PBF Red Paint. Picture and numbers looks good. I will have to try to find someone that has seen him for structure. Although, so far, EO has proven to sire some really nice ones. I am checking out whether they are testing him for Homo Polled. Right now, he is just listed Polled.
As I was typing this, I got a call from Paint Brush Farm. They are testing him now. Dam & Granddam are polled and have never produced anything horned, so they are "assuming" he is Homo, but awaiting test results.

Jeanne - I had seen that cattle visions announced him on Facebook and thought he looked good...didn't surprise me that he was an Executive Order though.

rollinhills said:
Josher said:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I'm considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser
Do you have any Stunner calves? I've got 2 bulls really like them so far, couldn't find any semen to use him again really hurt my feelings.

Stunner is done producing. Use his son Crackerjack at ST

Renown
Resource
Supercharger
Ajax

Thinking about breeding the heifer crop to S Powerpoint. I struggle every year to find a heifer bull that I like and he has been on my watch list since he was a yearling.

I'm going to continue to stay away from using the Charlo sons. Have plenty of his genetics in the cows we bought so I'll evaluate how they work for us before we think about using any of them.

rollinhills said:
Josher said:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I'm considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser

I got 3 bull calves and 3 heifer calves from him. I would say they're all good. My favourite might be one of the heifer calves. But the bulls are growing good. Nice shape to them. I'm kinda amazed how consistent they are. I thought genex had him in 2020 catalogue but there sold out already?

Musgrave Exclusive (sorted)
TEX Playbook
Musgrave Crackerjack (sorted)
SAV Rainfall
SAV Resource
Deer Valley Growth Fund
SAV Territory

Josher said:
rollinhills said:
Josher said:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I'm considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser

I got 3 bull calves and 3 heifer calves from him. I would say they're all good. My favourite might be one of the heifer calves. But the bulls are growing good. Nice shape to them. I'm kinda amazed how consistent they are. I thought genex had him in 2020 catalogue but there sold out already?

My understanding he got hurt in a breeding pasture no semen anywhere for him. Supposedly Musgraves don't even have any, don't know if you can believe any of what I was told. info is from my AI guy, he's a Genex Rep.

Still waiting for the rest of the semen catalogs to arrive in the mail, but likely going this direction for now:

SAV Raindance
S S Niagara Z29
MGR Treasure (calving ease for heifers)

Still have a few single straws of Hoover Dam, K Bar D Joe Canada and Connealy Concord (female sexed semen) as options as well. Prefer to use proven bulls or semi-proven bulls as much as possible instead of the young, unproven bulls.

My Simmental sires

Profit
MR CCF 20-20- his quality is unmatched in my herd so far
THSF Loverboy
WS Revival
Jass On The Mark
Pays To Believe
W/C Bankroll
LHT Viper

Red Angus sires

Red U2 Renown
Red MRLA Resource
Red U2 Reverence
Mann Red Box
Damar Next (Lexus)
LCA Revive

Black Angus sires

Duff LCA Hombre

These are AI and Flush sires. Some of the eggs will be sent to a cooperator herd to be put in.

Luckiamute said:
Still waiting for the rest of the semen catalogs to arrive in the mail, but likely going this direction for now:

SAV Raindance
S S Niagara Z29
MGR Treasure (calving ease for heifers)

Still have a few single straws of Hoover Dam, K Bar D Joe Canada and Connealy Concord (female sexed semen) as options as well. Prefer to use proven bulls or semi-proven bulls as much as possible instead of the young, unproven bulls.

Preach it.

Here's a good example. Comrade moves from 2014-2020.

I had a 2nd 20-20 calf born. So far, both look good. The 1-2-10 heifer looks great. But, then again, she is out of our 2-yr old that won Supreme at a show last year. I plan to use him heavier this year.

YoungAngusCattle said:
I saw the thread for fall breeding, but I can't be the only one that is starting too narrow down my semen selection and AI protocol for spring. As of right now I am considering using these bulls:

SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

KCF Southside (already have in tank, good numbers with high accuracy, that HP EPD is very intriguing, a good option too add frame on some smaller cows, might add too much frame.)

SAV Extension (already have heifer semen in tank, like the double EXT on the top side combined with 4136 on the bottom, would be interesting to bred the heifers with my SAV bull having 4136 on the top and bottom of his pedigree, would like to see a better DMI and RADG but the low acc doesn't have me that concerned.)

Kramers Apollo (the HP is great, the moderate DMI and RADG is nice, good $M, the milk might be a little much for me, haven't really heard much about this bull and can't figure out why.)

TEX Playbook (affordable semen, powerful looking phenotype with a good set of maternal EPDs too back it up, a positive $EN which is hard to find nowadays, terrible foot EPDs but I don't think we have enough data collected on that to use that as a selection tool yet.)

Duff Goose (attracted to the phenotype of this bull, like the heavy OCC influence on the top side combined with useable EPDs, could be used to bring down those large framed cows that aren't as easy doing as we'd like, the HP is a little scary, looks like he will take quite a bit of frame off which could contribute to the CEM there.)

ZWT Summit (like the cow power in the pedigree, sexed semen available, can moderate milk, haven't really looked too heavily into this bull yet.)

As of right now I'm leaning toward using the rest of my sexed Extension semen, using the rest of my Bruiser and getting some Playbook.

As far as my plan, I'm gonna get all my cows up in early April/end of March to worm them, like I do every year, but this time I'm gonna give multimin. Then proceed with the 7 day synch too breed in May, AI anything that comes into natural heat before the synch, and turn the bulls out in June.

A question: why wait to put your bulls in for so long? Are you more interested in knowing the parentage (which you can pull and have analyzed relatively cheaply) or getting more calves on the ground earlier? We'd suggest, if you are commercial and indifferent to the parentage and really like your cover bulls, you put the bulls in the day before you AI and then immediately (or within an hour or two) of inserting your semen. Our conception rates have really skyrocketed and an early calf (21-42 days earlier) is worth more $$$ to us and more than pays for a parentage test. At 2lbs of gain a day, that is 40-60lbs more meat on that calf. I don't know what you sell your calves for or what you do with them but a parentage test is like $14.

Latest posts