Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Help Support CattleToday:

rollinhills said:
Josher said:
rollinhills said:
Do you have any Stunner calves? I've got 2 bulls really like them so far, couldn't find any semen to use him again really hurt my feelings.

I got 3 bull calves and 3 heifer calves from him. I would say they're all good. My favourite might be one of the heifer calves. But the bulls are growing good. Nice shape to them. I'm kinda amazed how consistent they are. I thought genex had him in 2020 catalogue but there sold out already?

My understanding he got hurt in a breeding pasture no semen anywhere for him. Supposedly Musgraves don't even have any, don't know if you can believe any of what I was told. info is from my AI guy, he's a Genex Rep.

I'd call Tim and/or Rick up at TK Angus. They owned him with Musgrave and i know they have some of his sons for sale right now. They have been very nice to deal with and a wealth of knowledge and info.

I have 4 heifers that are Paxton granddaughters and one Beefmaster heifer that I bought from a friend that I'm thinking of breeding to Charlo or to a Connealy bull (Capitalist, Comrade, or Stingray). Does anyone have an opinion on any of these bulls?

Post Oak said:
I have 4 heifers that are Paxton granddaughters and one Beefmaster heifer that I bought from a friend that I'm thinking of breeding to Charlo or to a Connealy bull (Capitalist, Comrade, or Stingray). Does anyone have an opinion on any of these bulls?

May look at LD Capitalist 316. Have seen some really nice sons out of him.

Post Oak said:

Here's a capitalist son

And here's a heifer

Comrade grows nice females, but small. They don't grow fast, but they are shaped well and their docility is impeccable. I like my capitalist calves, little more frame and growth potential, falls down the middle on mature sizes.

hornedfrogbbq said:
A question: why wait to put your bulls in for so long? Are you more interested in knowing the parentage (which you can pull and have analyzed relatively cheaply) or getting more calves on the ground earlier? We'd suggest, if you are commercial and indifferent to the parentage and really like your cover bulls, you put the bulls in the day before you AI and then immediately (or within an hour or two) of inserting your semen. Our conception rates have really skyrocketed and an early calf (21-42 days earlier) is worth more $$$ to us and more than pays for a parentage test. At 2lbs of gain a day, that is 40-60lbs more meat on that calf. I don't know what you sell your calves for or what you do with them but a parentage test is like $14.

This response blew my mind a bit for its fairly obvious logic that I was blind too. Thanks! I've been entirely AI, but at the end of last season gave in and got a bull.

This season I was thinking of holding off putting the bull in, but as a commercial guy what you note makes a lot of sense.

I enjoy these threads. The original question probably should be amended to include whether you are selling feeders, yearlings, retaining females, feeding to slaughter, etc. Lots of bulls for lots of different markets/reasons.

I feed out and sell private treaty direct to consumer. I also plan on retaining roughly 20% of my heifers as replacements. I have both PB Angus and F1 Angus/Wagyu.

Last season was a strange AI journey with lots of opens, and lots of heat detection. The plan of calving a herd of Hoover Dam calves didn't go to plan, haha. As such, we have calves from Hoover Dam, Cowboy Up, Enhance, LMR Kitaguni (wagyu), and a commercial purchased bull on the way. The Cowboy Ups were a "what do you have in the tank?" question to my AI guy after a morning of seeing a bunch of Estrotect patches shining bright orange.

This season we are looking at Raven Powerball as a replacement for Hoover Dam. Other bulls on the short list, Exceed, Magnitude, Southern Charm, and maybe Enhance.

I have a lot of Hoover bulls in the tank this year.

Hoover notary
Hoover top notch
Baldridge 38 special
Connealy impact
Hoover Dam( might hang on to him for a couple years)

Also have President and charm leftover from last year

YoungAngusCattle said:
SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

Where did you hear he was gone??

My lady's are freshening in May but I've been eyeing up validated. For my herefords and deEp end for my reds

I plan to breed our our commercial Angus and Hereford cows to Bruiser, Chaps, and CCR Boulder on the bigger frame cows.
May use a little hooks Frontline also. Have some registered cows bred to him for fall calves.

Young Angus - Hearing good calf reports on ZWT Summit from Bridge View Angus. I agree with you on the cow power. We will be adding sorted and convential to the tank next month

Ned Jr. said:
Rainfall semen is getting hard to find and I believe it going to get even harder.

We've got 10 straws headed our way early next week to restock our tank. Texted my rep last week

torogmc81 said:
Ned Jr. said:
Rainfall semen is getting hard to find and I believe it going to get even harder.

We've got 10 straws headed our way early next week to restock our tank. Texted my rep last week

I called my rep immediately when I read NJ's post. He said Rainfall was in high demand and that supplies could get tight, so I ordered 50 units for the tank. I do not breed until Fall, but he said he was sure he could fill that order for me and deliver before fall breeding. That flush is surely making bank for SAV.

VaCowman said:
torogmc81 said:
Ned Jr. said:

I called my rep immediately when I read NJ's post. He said Rainfall was in high demand and that supplies could get tight, so I ordered 50 units for the tank. I do not breed until Fall, but he said he was sure he could fill that order for me and deliver before fall breeding. That flush is surely making bank for SAV.

My rep had told me 6 weeks ago i'd be waiting till spring, glad I asked again. We want him in our herd and on heifers that will be sold at consignments.

He'll be going back to SAV soon and then they'll have to get his extra weight off before they can collect again. I wonder if that $35 will soon be $40?

Exactly! Yet another reason to order a little extra now. What if he gets hurt or some act of God while he's at home losing weight? With tight inventories now, plus the fact he'll be going home for a while, it could pressure his price a bit...not to mention he's cheaper than other flush mates...Once they go up, they never come back down. Personally, I think it'll be money in the bank to stock up now.

Thought I'd bring up this thread again..
What's everyone using or thinking of using for spring of 2021

Planning on using these fellas on angus and Herefords.

Resource
Stunner
Attractive
Supercharger
Rainmaker 4404
Paintrock trapper
DL Diesel
Innovation

I saw the thread for fall breeding, but I can't be the only one that is starting too narrow down my semen selection and AI protocol for spring. As of right now I am considering using these bulls:

SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

KCF Southside (already have in tank, good numbers with high accuracy, that HP EPD is very intriguing, a good option too add frame on some smaller cows, might add too much frame.)

SAV Extension (already have heifer semen in tank, like the double EXT on the top side combined with 4136 on the bottom, would be interesting to bred the heifers with my SAV bull having 4136 on the top and bottom of his pedigree, would like to see a better DMI and RADG but the low acc doesn't have me that concerned.)

Kramers Apollo (the HP is great, the moderate DMI and RADG is nice, good $M, the milk might be a little much for me, haven't really heard much about this bull and can't figure out why.)

TEX Playbook (affordable semen, powerful looking phenotype with a good set of maternal EPDs too back it up, a positive $EN which is hard to find nowadays, terrible foot EPDs but I don't think we have enough data collected on that to use that as a selection tool yet.)

Duff Goose (attracted to the phenotype of this bull, like the heavy OCC influence on the top side combined with useable EPDs, could be used to bring down those large framed cows that aren't as easy doing as we'd like, the HP is a little scary, looks like he will take quite a bit of frame off which could contribute to the CEM there.)

ZWT Summit (like the cow power in the pedigree, sexed semen available, can moderate milk, haven't really looked too heavily into this bull yet.)

As of right now I'm leaning toward using the rest of my sexed Extension semen, using the rest of my Bruiser and getting some Playbook.

As far as my plan, I'm gonna get all my cows up in early April/end of March to worm them, like I do every year, but this time I'm gonna give multimin. Then proceed with the 7 day synch too breed in May, AI anything that comes into natural heat before the synch, and turn the bulls out in June.
Have you noticed any docility issues with Bruiser calves?
I want to use him more but worry about docility issues. I'm guessing by your description they aren't the best looking calves either.

I have some bred to him right now and debated using him on some hereford cows this spring. Seems good baldys are selling as well as registered stuff here right now.

Bartsow Bankroll, S Powerpoint, Connealy Emerald either Gar Sunrise or Gar Sunbeam and S Thrive

Last edited:
Simmental bulls:
I plan to narrow my semen purchase down this year also. I have quite a few great bulls in the tank that I need to use up. This year's calf crop is 2 or 3 of this bull & 2 or 3 of that bull.
W/C Executive Order - plan to use quite a bit. Have a couple coming
MR CCF 20-20 - have a few coming and plan to use heavier.
TKCC CLASSIFIED - Love his calves - not a CE bull - will continue using
Mr CCF Clarified - a 20-20 son - 1st calves coming
LLSF PAYS TO BELIEVE ZU194 - few coming - not planning to buy more
W/C Bankroll - 3 or 4 coming. Not planning to buy more
Mack AF - (red bull) - go to red bull but not a calving ease bull - got 4 coming & will continue to use
Kappes Pendleton - only had 1 coming and it was a heifer (will be in the Stars & Stripes Sale. Would breed a bunch to him,
but semen not available
W/C HOC HCC Red Answer 33B - 3 bred to him. 1st one born - top notch heifer!! Don't think his semen is available. (edit: he is hetero polled, so I'm not crazy about that).

Looking for a great red bull to replace Pendleton. Looking at Felt Last Call. There are TONS of great BLACK bulls available, but limited GREAT red bulls. Looking for structure, volume, muscling, growth with great feminine front ends.
Where are you getting Mack AF semen?

Latest posts