Fall Breeding What is everyone using..

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
As I frustrate my select Sires rep by using too many bulls I have pared it down to 4 Sires 26 head. Setting up cows to breed January 7th.

Sydgen Black Diamond (used him every year since January 2015) Cows and Heifers
Sydgen Fate (1st year) cows and heifers
SS Niagra (1st year) cows and heifers
Mogck Entice (1st year) Cows

What is everyone else using or used this fall/spring.

I enjoy these post.

Next year will be my last year using predominantly angus bulls for awhile.

I'm using Hoover dam heavily.
Connealy century 5739
Connealy United 1116
Mill bar Hickok

I'm researching some fescue raised black gelbvieh studs, but not having much luck yet.

I was really excited about Baldridge Breakthrough, but my guy didn't have that. I ended up with PA Full Power instead over a Thunder daughter and Comrade daughter.

I had a Mill Bar Hickok son that was a tank last year. I'd use him again if I had the chance. This year we just went with a Genex rep b/c that's who was recommended. Fingers crossed it stuck.

I have finished my spring breeding, all through a severe drought. i used up a few odds and sods but the new ones I got were .
Musgrave Exclusive
Sydgen Enhance
SAV Rainmaster

Ken

My fall AI work is complete. This fall I used Hooks Frontline and Hooks Yellowstone on the register cows and CCR Boulder on the commercial Angus cows.

I am not finished but it sure has gone well. As of this morning I am at 15 and 3. 15 passed, 3 came back in.

Cowboy Cut
Beacon
Eagle
Optimizer
High Road
Primary Candidate
Shell Shocked

We are having a good run too. Out of the AI herd, we are 9 stuck and one that did not, with 8 more to pass over the first cycle. The one that did not also did not stick last year as a yearling. We are putting an embryo in her Friday.
Embryo's are a little different story. Of the 5 cows we put embryos in, 3 have for sure came back in, and one is questionable. We will have her ultra-sounded on Friday when he comes out to put the other embryo in (she will be 28 days). We usually have better luck with the embryos, not sure why this run has been bad.
For AI we are using High Road, Lock N Load 1143Y, DMCC Fully Loaded, and some Primary Candidate. I stuck a straw of Milestone in a cow tonight, she is a Cowboy x Swain Velvet. I bought 5 straws for $25 each, so I do not mind putting it in a cow. I have an Upgrade cow due in Feb to that Milestone semen, excited for that one!

BR,
I have a friend that had some Cowboy Cut calves this year, they seemed to have a lot of hair, is this your experience?

jscunn said:
BR,
I have a friend that had some Cowboy Cut calves this year, they seemed to have a lot of hair, is this your experience?

Yes. Most of them do. In 2018, he was the number one bull in the Simmental breed for registration. I expect he will be in 2019 also.

My Cowboy Cut cow gets really hairy in the winter but is one of the first ones to slick off in the spring.

jscunn said:
BR,

Mine don't have hair. My Cowboy raising twins has NO hair, but is never cold. Most of my Cowboy calves do not show hair either.

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
jscunn said:
BR,

Mine don't have hair. My Cowboy raising twins has NO hair, but is never cold. Most of my Cowboy calves do not show hair either.

Is that your Velvet Heifer (now a cow)? What do you mean, she has NO hair?

Select Sires bulls:
E W A Peyton. Sampling on a few smaller frame cows
Deer Valley Unique on most cows
Sure Fire on Heifers

I want to pick up some High Prime and Fortitude if I get an opportunity to.
Cleanup bulls are by Fortress and Uptown. My best heifers are out of one of my Fortress bulls so we see how they cross with Sure Fire.

I wanted to try something different. Went with 2 unproven young bulls. I was able to get a hold of some VAR Best Buy and TK Driller.

We'll find out how we are doing in the next few days. Besides the few ET's we've done …

Musgrave Exclusive (sorted)
TEX Playbook
Musgrave Crackerjack (sorted)
SAV Rainfall

used
Enhance
Weigh up 294
Discovery
Niagra
Rainmkr 11127
Sav Territory
Legend
Treasure
Reload
Concord
Raindance
Polled Herford Homeland
On repeats will use some Gizmo D Boss D45

Only thing I bought was Enhance, probably got enough in tank to do this 10 more yrs

Latest posts