Spreading fertilize and spraying ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Med

Reaction score
Does it hurt the grass to spread fertilize and then come right back and spray for weeds the next day ? We spread fertilize on a couple hundred acres yesterday and today. It has not rained on it and I am hooked to the sprayer and thinking of starting to spray some grazon tomorrow. Should I wait and let a rain melt the fertilizer in before I spray ?

Is this area of NE Texas, they will mix fertilizer with Range Star or Grazon ( 24d based herbicides ) and apply it all at once.

Med":33kshm6t said:
Does it hurt the grass to spread fertilize and then come right back and spray for weeds the next day ? We spread fertilize on a couple hundred acres yesterday and today. It has not rained on it and I am hooked to the sprayer and thinking of starting to spray some grazon tomorrow. Should I wait and let a rain melt the fertilizer in before I spray ?

I'm not 100% certain, but I wouldn't think spraying for weeds would hurt after spreading fertilizer. I do know that the bigger the weeds get the less effective the weed-killer is and that it takes longer to kill them - you probably know that, too. As Perda stated, around here it is common practice for fertilizer to be mixed with herbicide and then sprayed on fields. Just my thoughts.

Fertilizer makes some weed sprays work better. You can buy very soluble N granuales to mix into the spray tank. I think the point is they work together to cause the weed to grow to death.

Thanks for the replies. I sprayed grazon all day today and plan on spraying all day tomorrow. After spreading several tons of fertilizer and several gallons of grazon, I looked down and saw the fuel gauge on the tractor was nearly empty. I can't wait to go buy some of that $ 3.00 diesel to go with the sky high fertilizer and herbicide. If it doesn't rain so I will have to quit spreading, I will be broke by the middle of next week. But I will have some green grass with a lot less weeds to show for it. Thanks again for the replies.

Med":1ysvdzow said:
I can't wait to go buy some of that $ 3.00 diesel to go with the sky high fertilizer and herbicide. If it doesn't rain so I will have to quit spreading, I will be broke by the middle of next week.

I hear you - we've been there and done that, too. Hang in there, something always seems to come along just in the nick of time to keep things afloat. Might not be what you wanted, but it's something and it does the job! Keep your chin up, and never say quit!! ;-)

If you have to spray for weeds.... I would do that first. I would not get the weed healthy then spray it, kinda wastes the fertilizer if you ask me.
I do know that cimmeron or alliy will not work as well if sprayed after a fertilization.
Brad

Med":16kg4fkz said:

Many herbicides will set back or slow down the growth of the grass for a period of time when applied, so you have to weigh whether or not you will be getting optimum benefit from the fertilizer, but then again, it might even help it recover faster.
On the other hand most spray herbicides will work better when they have not rain for several days, so...get er done! Just don't let them lactating Dairy cows on it for about 7 days! ;-) :D

Ranchcop":2aubl2ei said:
I would not get the weed healthy then spray it, kinda wastes the fertilizer if you ask me.
Stick to the fish guts. Systemic herbicides work best when plants are healthy and actively growing.

Ranchcop":3tje1ap6 said:
If you have to spray for weeds.... I would do that first. I would not get the weed healthy then spray it, kinda wastes the fertilizer if you ask me.
I do know that cimmeron or alliy will not work as well if sprayed after a fertilization.
Brad

two problems i see here. 1) it'll take longer than 24 hrs before the plants can get any good use out of the fertilizer. 2) all your herbicides work best on a healthy, growing weed plant,or grass. the fertilizer treats the soil then in the long run feeds the plant matter, so it would be more of a waste to keep the weeds then killing them. if a system is put in place and followed thru it wont take long to get a manged field.

Latest posts