spectam scour halt

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
Our three day calf has scours, yellow mixed with some blood. At first it looked okay, pudding like, but then he started going all the time and it would just run out. I called the vet gave him spectam scour halt yesterday. I gave him 10 cc's once a day. I have not given him any today. I noticed he has finally peed this morning. My concern is he didn't poop last night and when I was out there this morning hasn't. His tail goes up and his little but puckers but nothing comes out. Is it the scour halt and he will finally poop or do I have another problem? This is our first bottle feed calf, so I am new to his aspect.

Did the vet also tell you to give the calf electrolytes? If not, then do it NOW, even if you have to tube it!

Just because you can't see the poop doesn't mean the calf hasn't pooped. Sometimes scours are so bad that it comes out like water and you can't see any evidence of it anywhere.

As far as the Spectam is concerned, we always gave 10ccs in the a.m. and 10ccs in the p.m.

This feeding schedule helped us:

Morning: milk replacer mixed with 2 pints less water yet the same amount of milk replacer that you would normally use with 4 pints of water. About an hour to an hour and a half later, give the calf 2 to 3 pints of electrolytes.

Noon: give the calf another 2 to 3 pints of electrolytes.

Afternoon/evening feeding: Same as morning followed with the 2 to 3 pints of electrolytes an hour to an hour and a half later.

Also, give that calf probios at each feeding...and if you don't have probios use yogurt.

***Important thing this minute: Get electrolytes into that calf right now!***

Good luck, Alice

We gave him some yesterday mixed in with his milk replacer. I got more electrolytes that say mix package in 2 quarts of water and give between feedings once a day if needed twice a day. Not sure if he needs it twice a day or not. He is peeing, and his appitite is good. The cow would not feed him so after 24 hours we pulled him, she really didn't care. Is there anything else to watch for? Should I continue to give the scour medicine? How do I know he still has scours, there is not sign that he has gone to the bathroom, butt is clean, tail dry?

Unless the electrolytes specifically say it can be mixed with milk replacer, don't ever mix it with milk replacer.

Thank goodness the calf still has a good appetite. If you can keep the calf sucking, you have a much better chance with it.

Until you know without a doubt that the scours have stopped, keep giving the electrolytes at least TWICE a day.

When calves have severe scours, the scours shoot right straight out and might not touch the tail or legs. AND, what you may think are pee spots can actually be scour spots. I'm not saying that is the case here, but don't stop giving the calf electrolytes just because you find wet spots around the pen.

In this heat, dehydration from scours can kill a calf in a heartbeat. Don't leave anything to chance.

Alice

This is our first problem ever with any cows or cavs other then the new steers coming in from other farms for 4-H. Our cows get free fed minerals and fresh water daily, we do not have ponds. The calf is a new born and its mother refused to feed it as I stated above. I have heard that when caves are bottled fed the chance for scours is high. He has not been vacinated yet, the vet will be out in the next couple of weeks before our fair. Our cows were vacinated before we bought them. We are just starting and only have two cows. So yes I am VERY new to this. Up until now we have had no problems with sickness or such with our cows. I will take any advice I can get from experienced farmers because I want to have a good healthy herd.

You have to use way more spectam than your using. I give three doses a day at 8ml each time. When they are dry pooping (puckering and nothing comes out) they are still scouring. Probably pouring out like water and will make you think they aren't loose any more. If you see sucken eyes, you have got to get electrolytes in them NOW. I will pull milk for a solid day and give electrolytes three times a day.

The steers are kept separate from the cows, so our new calves have not had contact with the steers. I just assumed (I know, I know) that keeping new and old animals apart is a good idea. The little guy is up and kicking (literally). He likes his mulitple bottles, I will take in a fecal tomarrow after work to see what is going on. He might have gotten a little colostrum right after birth, then she just didn't pay any attention to him. I did give him replacement colostrum just to make sure. We have been keeping a close eye on him, he is acting better overall but I still am very wary and worried.

You can rest easy when that calf hits the 2 week mark and isn't scouring...and not before. In this heat, you cannot let your guard down. Just my 2 cents.

Alice

Just wanted to touch on something mentioned previously. I wouldnt pull a calf that momma wasnt feeding. If at all possible, I would put momma in a chute and force her to let the calf feed. If that failed I would milk momma myself. Pre packaged colostrum is better than nothing, but its no substitute for the real deal.

I would do that but I do not have a chute and she will not let us milk her. I was hoping the other cow would take on the new calf but she didn't. I had no choice but to pull and feed myself. I realize that the real deal is better but I did what I had to do so the calf would not starve.

Im not suggesting this, buttt....... There is a method for strapping a cow to a pole that can be used to restrain a cow in the absence of a actual chute. You can also use a gate to squeeze her in.

Again, in this heat, please watch out for dehydration...and do whatever you need to combat it.

That little guy rocks...and, you are obviously doing the best you can...and what you need to do. I'm pulling for you and the little guy.

Alice

just wanted to give an update. The vet was out, said the calf looked good for what he has been through. He gave him a shot that had what he didn't get from his momma. Gave him a few pills to help his stomach. He said he is hydrated, but keep giving him the electrolytes until he is regular, so all and all I feel better.

our bottle calf is doing well, he is eat between 2 and 3 pounds of grain a day plus still getting milk. He does think he is a goat now, because he is in with my daughters little goats. He was so happy to see them both when get got home from the fair this weekend, he jumped around and kicked. My daughter is going to show him next year, we will see how he turns out.

I am just finishing off the bag of milk, once it is gone, he will be on full grain and water. We bought our cows as heifers with the full intention of breaking them for fair. Lets just say, since then we have learned alot. One of our cows, is nice and will let you around her and her calf, the other one (the one that won't take the now bottle fed calf will not). Its just my son and myself starting our little farm, now my daughter is helping out. We have made mistakes, nothing costly mind you, but have learned our lessons.

Latest posts