calf scour bolus

Help Support CattleToday:

Sustain III Calf Bolus. It is a sulfa. I like it better than Albon (also a sulfa) because it's 1 bolus per 50 lbs and good for 3 days. One and done! I've used Terramycin when the Sustain was not available and didn't have as good of results. Plus, once they start feeling better, it's a lot harder to catch them. All the other boluses I've seen (and used) are every 12 hours.

I don't believe Calf Span is available in the US. But absolutely agree with the sulfa.
I've probably mentioned it before. TC, have you read the James Herriot books, in particular one from prewar where he was treating this young farmers calves for scours. They were to be his future milkers and if they died he would have lost everything. Treatment had not been going too well (pre antimicrobial drugs). James was feeling pretty depressed at the thought of having to go back however he had read about this new drug Sulphanilamide and managed to source a bottle so took it out with him. The knacker was there with the farmer ready to take the calves away but James persuaded him to give this new drug a go much to the knackers disgust. Your wasting your time Mr Herriot. Any how the next morning James went back to the farm expecting to see dead calves everywhere but to everyones surprise the calves were all back drinking their milk and bouncing around.
Can you imagine the disbelief when those first antimicrobial drugs were released, medicines just changed overnight from crude potents to something that actually had an effect.

Ken

I've probably mentioned it before. TC, have you read the James Herriot books, in particular one from prewar where he was treating this young farmers calves for scours. They were to be his future milkers and if they died he would have lost everything. Treatment had not been going too well (pre antimicrobial drugs). James was feeling pretty depressed at the thought of having to go back however he had read about this new drug Sulphanilamide and managed to source a bottle so took it out with him. The knacker was there with the farmer ready to take the calves away but James persuaded him to give this new drug a go much to the knackers disgust. Your wasting your time Mr Herriot. Any how the next morning James went back to the farm expecting to see dead calves everywhere but to everyones surprise the calves were all back drinking their milk and bouncing around.
Can you imagine the disbelief when those first antimicrobial drugs were released, medicines just changed overnight from crude potents to something that actually had an effect.

Ken
I haven't read his books, but fascinating information. Thanks for sharing!

One of my bulls was recently treated for a huge abscess in his ear. So! Much! Pus! Vet drained, flushed, and gave him a hefty dose of LA300. Said I might want to follow up with an additional dose later in the week. Doable, but he's in a pasture without a chute and that would involve either keeping him at the barn or catching/trailering him again. Asked my vet if Sustain would be an appropriate alternative. You betcha! Bull is a hand feeder, so I simply broke the boluses in half and fed them to him with cubes. No moving, no shots, one 'n done, ear is healing.

I haven't read his books, but fascinating information. Thanks for sharing!

One of my bulls was recently treated for a huge abscess in his ear. So! Much! Pus! Vet drained, flushed, and gave him a hefty dose of LA300. Said I might want to follow up with an additional dose later in the week. Doable, but he's in a pasture without a chute and that would involve either keeping him at the barn or catching/trailering him again. Asked my vet if Sustain would be an appropriate alternative. You betcha! Bull is a hand feeder, so I simply broke the boluses in half and fed them to him with cubes. No moving, no shots, one 'n done, ear is healing.
You are missing out big time by not reading Herriot. So entertaining!

We treat calves under ten days with Borgal / Trimidox and over ten days with Oxymycene LA. Very seldom use a bolus.

Latest posts