Special Treat

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I received a special treat over the weekend.

Our local sale barn sells hogs, goats and cattle in that respective order. Here the last few months we have been getting run over by goats. It went from being a few goats to a hundred and now it is several hundred a week. It really chaps my hide. I could used to bet the calves would start selling at noon within 10 minutes either way and now it is often 3 or better before the calves show up. At a particularly long goat sale a few weeks ago there was a man, woman and their four kids at the sale (all of which appear to be between 2 and 6). You could tell that they were a bunch of knuckle draggers before they even began to speak. They were there selling goats. They had about 30 and they had to sell each one individually and then she would PO each one when it didn't bring as much as they thought it should. Every cattleman in the place wanted to place a well positioned boot.

This weekend at the sale the knuckle draggers were back. They took up a whole front row by the ring so they could be close to see their precious goats sell. Well the goat sale finally concluded and I guess they hung around to see all the pretty cows as they didn't leave as they normally do. About ten minutes into the sale they turned an old holstein cull cow out in the ring. The old holstein promptly ran around the ring, turned around and sprayed the knuckle draggers with a stream of manure about like dirty water. She screamed and all the kids were yelling ewwwwww. They promptly ran out of the arena and all was well with the world again.

I would give fifty bucks to see it all again.

JB

i to have been sprayed with manure more times than i can count.had manure an dirt kicked in my face as well.when you sitt on 1si or 2nd rows that will happen. scott

there was a guy at a bull sale once that got manure sprayed all over him when the bull went storming around the ring and the idiot bought the bull after that... :roll:

I've got manure sprayed across my boots and slung up on me several times, it is a weekly ordeal nearly for someone at the local sale, but the thing that made it so sweet was that I had never seen it done to someone so deserving and had never seen it done with such precision. It was almost as if that old holstein was answering everyone's prayers.

JB

Personally, I liked the term "knuckle draggers". Around here they're referred to as members of the "shallow gene pool" and possible "missing links" in evolution ;-)

Hilarious story.

thats funny, i'ont care who ya are.

i always sit up top. mainly because there are chairs with backs but also because i'm young and can get up there easily i figure theres no point in me sitting down low when others need to. plus it keeps me from buying anything and i can talk to other sellers and walk out over the cows without having to walk in front of a bunch of people. and i can watch everybody. do all order buyers try to knock each others chairs over and throw stuff at each and sneak up on each other and scare the coffee out of one another or just the ones here?

Beefy":h3vcsztf said:
thats funny, i'ont care who ya are.

i always sit up top. mainly because there are chairs with backs but also because i'm young and can get up there easily i figure theres no point in me sitting down low when others need to. plus it keeps me from buying anything and i can talk to other sellers and walk out over the cows without having to walk in front of a bunch of people. and i can watch everybody. do all order buyers try to knock each others chairs over and throw stuff at each and sneak up on each other and scare the coffee out of one another or just the ones here?

They all do it... very common around here

The sale barns are a great place to get a laugh. My brother and I get a laugh out of the wild bulls who chase the guy in the ring who moves them around. Sometimes he is lucky to get out alive.

Jake":jhyqcq50 said:
there was a guy at a bull sale once that got manure sprayed all over him when the bull went storming around the ring and the idiot bought the bull after that... :roll:
He may have had other plans for that bull than breeding cows. ;-)

The Mrs and I sold calves at the sale barn 2 years ago. She was inside watching the sale, I was out side scouting for our calves from the cat walk. She said the door opened and in came 2 calves weighing maybe #200, and the auctioneer said "watch 'em boys, they're a couple of rippers". The Mrs wondering what a ripper is, perks right up. THese 2 steers were MEAN! They are ramming the guy in the ring, the doors, etc. I came in shortly after that, and told the Mrs. that there were 2 small calves they just ran into a pen that were raming the gate repeatedly. She said "yeah, they're rippers". So now when we have a wild calf, we call it a ripper. Or "#43 has a little ripper in her".

Yeah, I love going to the sale. There are a few order buyers that I have no clue what their names even are but they always have to have a hug whenever they see me, don't seem to matter if I'm covered dirt and $h!t or not. They all seem to be jokers. I wish I could have their job! There always seems to be one or two animals come through that are haywire. I've seen a full grown bull clear the sorting gate a time or two - many calves also. Heck, one of our steers cleared that thing one time, never even missed a lick. He was in and out before you knew it. I'm just really glad the ring is TALL!

Latest posts