Special Kind of Stupid

Help Support CattleToday:

Or people building in the flood plane and do not elevate their house above the flood plane. Now the cities (tax payers) are buying these people out.

I sure hate to see all that.
I deal with all sorts of things but coming home to my house flooded isn't going to be one of them unless it's from the inside because of a water line.
If mine goes almost all of east Ar will be under first.
I just hate seeing that.

If water gets in mine I wouldn't have anyone to file a claim with
cause they will all have drown.
I don't get building on the side of the creek or river bottom and think it is never going to flood. Trinity river bottom is six miles wide at Liberty Texas didn't get that way by accident. Seen the water 12 feet deep in my bottom little spring fed branch normally runs 4 inches deep.

cowboy43":2oaqh83l said:
Or people building in the flood plane and do not elevate their house above the flood plane. Now the cities (tax payers) are buying these people out.

IMG_0890_Small_zpszcquaeee.jpg

Here If you get a loan on a property in a flood zone you are required to have gov FEMA backed flood insurance. I pay almost $2000/yr on a $125k house. The policy has a $5k deductible, and won't pay a dime unless the house is basically destroyed.

Central Tx. Is known as flash flood alley And has a greater risk of flash flooding Than most regions of the United States. The area is also in a building boom, fields that was farmed 5 to 10 years ago are now under roof tops and pavement, in some cases 4 to 6 houses to the acre. This has created a more serious threat for flooding because the water has no where to go but into people's houses. To save on materials the slabs are just a few inches above the yard, causing the water to go into the house under heavy rainfall.

I thought insurance companies charged for flood coverage automatically? I know they do here, though they'll remove it if they survey your place and determine it's not in a flood zone. They applied it to my policy when I first bought the place. If my house floods, most of Ohio is in trouble.

houstoncutter":945coqoj said:
What can I say, folks living in SE Texas with no flood insurance ! That takes a special kind of stupid.

I'm in southeast Texas and I don't have flood insurance. Of course the last time my homesite was covered with water Noah was just climbing down out of the ark.

I lived in Rock Island, IL during the 1993 Mississippi River flood. Illinois had the flood walls where I lived, Iowa refused to build them. Guess where the water went. We used to say Iowa: Idiots Out Walking Around. Fit the bill there.

Rafter S":24vagboy said:
houstoncutter":24vagboy said:
What can I say, folks living in SE Texas with no flood insurance ! That takes a special kind of stupid.

I'm in southeast Texas and I don't have flood insurance. Of course the last time my homesite was covered with water Noah was just climbing down out of the ark.

Same here the house is on top of the hill 252 feet above the creek.
I won't say it can't flood but if it does there will be nowhere to go to file.
About nine miles south the escrapement falls to flat country with a lot of creeks and bayous. HC is right if they don't have flood insurance their nuts. I owned three houses in that flat country and the all had insurance.

The drought is over. Fences are washing away but they are no longer mine, so I don't have to rebuild them any more.

When Ike was done, I was shocked to hear how many people down on Bolivar Peninsula didn't have flood insurance. They all talked about flood ins but in reality, a lot didn't have it. My brother's neighbor had made the comment a few weeks before Ike "That's what flood insurance is for" but found out after the storm, he didn't have any.

Everyone talks about Allison, but the flood of record for my area and much of SE Texas was the Oct '94 flood, and for both forks of the San Jacinto, that is what FEMA, USGS, and USCOE says is the 'flood of record'. The only reason Allison got so much attention is because of what it did to City of Houston, but '94 was worse for San Jacinto River Basin and Trinity River basin. '94 was the flood that saw the lower San Jacinto rupture the pipeline and burning on the water just upstream from the i10 bridge.

Today, Trinity River gage at Liberty stands at 26.39' as of 10am. Oct 12 1994 set the historical record at 31.00'.
Last month's flood crest here was at 18'5' at the Hiway 105 gage in Cleveland. The river crested earlier this week at 17.42'. Flood of record for that gage (6 miles downstream from me) is 24.98' Oct 94. Not saying it 'can't' ever get in my house, but it would not have gotten in even '94. (my house wasn't built until 2008) I would not have been able to get off the property without a boat tho.
You can go to:
http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/in ... auge=RMYT2
Click around on 'nearby gages, historical, hydrograph, and current conditions for most gages in your area.

Greybeard the thing that annoys me is more concrete and roof lines in the cities. They are adding and adding. If you've ever irrigated you know how much water it takes and how long it takes to put an inch of water on a pasture with a massive pump. Yet the cities have acre upon acre of parking lot. Streets. Rooflines. The water cannot hit the ground to even try to soak in. It is all run off.

Their plea on television is "nothing can be done" yet people keep building on flood plains. The cities keep adding subdivisions that drain into local creeks. They keep adding massive parking lots that are never full except at Christmas shopping time.

Won't be long before Houston is like New Orleans--running giant pumps all the time just to stay afloat. With subsidence a constant threat, and only being 40' above sea level they gonna sink under their own weight.

backhoeboogie":wj4w75fm said:
Greybeard the thing that annoys me is more concrete and roof lines in the cities. They are adding and adding. If you've ever irrigated you know how much water it takes and how long it takes to put an inch of water on a pasture with a massive pump. Yet the cities have acre upon acre of parking lot. Streets. Rooflines. The water cannot hit the ground to even try to soak in. It is all run off.

Their plea on television is "nothing can be done" yet people keep building on flood plains. The cities keep adding subdivisions that drain into local creeks. They keep adding massive parking lots that are never full except at Christmas shopping time.

Boogie a big factor as well planing engineers have routed all the drainage
Especially in Houston to just a few ditches and bayous. These soon become hydraulicly overloaded only way for water to go in the concrete jungle is up, it can't spread out over the coastal parrarie anymore.

Latest posts