Speaking of terms......

Help Support CattleToday:

john250":1zob9auc said:
chrisy":1zob9auc said:
Hobo's here are 'Tramps' and they carry bundles. I am quite confused with some of the things said, it's funny we all talk English, but it is still hard to understand as the terminology is quite different at times.

Two nations--separated by a common language. :lol:

so true. so very true :p

dun":1qq6zx4h said:
jw":1qq6zx4h said:
Yep, and the original question still hasn't been answered!

That's probably because it was never in the common vernacular for most people. I think it boils down to different occupations, ethnic groups, parts of the country, etc. have differnt terms for the same thing.

We used to live near a railroad and we had bindle stiffs frequent the area. A bindle is a package of belongings. We used the term for what most people, probably from a more civilized area, called hobos.

While doing spot checks on overdue cows the mind starts to drift into peculiar patterns of thought.

dun

I have to explain what a bindle stiff is when we read the novel Of Mice and Men in class. Plus, I usually get to explain muleskinner, threshing machine, etc., etc.

Scout":1sjb0b14 said:
dun":1sjb0b14 said:
jw":1sjb0b14 said:

That's probably because it was never in the common vernacular for most people. I think it boils down to different occupations, ethnic groups, parts of the country, etc. have differnt terms for the same thing.

We used to live near a railroad and we had bindle stiffs frequent the area. A bindle is a package of belongings. We used the term for what most people, probably from a more civilized area, called hobos.

While doing spot checks on overdue cows the mind starts to drift into peculiar patterns of thought.

dun

I have to explain what a bindle stiff is when we read the novel Of Mice and Men in class. Plus, I usually get to explain muleskinner, threshing machine, etc., etc.

How about "gandy dancer"?

dun

chrisy":ezw7xeas said:
Hobo's here are 'Tramps' and they carry bundles. I am quite confused with some of the things said, it's funny we all talk English, but it is still hard to understand as the terminology is quite different at times.

Tramps are low class, hobos are the elite.

dun

dun":2p2epjyg said:
chrisy":2p2epjyg said:

dun

Tramps live a life to wonder, those that stay in one place are known as homeless people.

dun":3kgy72sq said:
chrisy":3kgy72sq said:

dun
Quite right.
In the depression many a good man hoboed (rode the rails) through the country looking for work. My father could tell of such experiences. I am thankful I have never had to do that and hope I never do.

Cabo":1ctcf7p0 said:
dun":1ctcf7p0 said:

dun

Hobos are fine til you are inspecting a train after dark and one moves in an open boxcar.

I can remember my first encounter with Hobo's on the Railroad.We were pulling a cut of Boxcars off a Spur at night and one jumped out of a Boxcar and I clubbed him with my Lantern. Scared me to death.You still see a few of them once in a while.

dun":9myl5tb7 said:
Scout":9myl5tb7 said:
dun":9myl5tb7 said:
jw":9myl5tb7 said:

dun

How about "gandy dancer"?

dun

Used to work on a railroad not far from here...and I used to run around the train tracks when I was a youngun and bug all the gandy dancers out there working :lol:

Scout":57we2fo9 said:
dun":57we2fo9 said:
How about "gandy dancer"?dun

that's a new one on me. Maybe it's a Missouri thing?

It's a railroad worker...they moved the tracks into place...not many railroads around your way?...all of the kids at my school used to go listen to em sing when they was out workin

There are railroads around here...just wanted to give dun a bad time, that's all. :)

WELL I MEANT DUN SINCE HE LIVED BY RAILROAD, BUT ALL TRAIN STORIES ARE FASINATING. PLUS HOBO STORIES

Latest posts