soy hulls vs wheat midds

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Gonna have to ration hay this year. I plan to put out a supplement pellet - usually I use wheat midds, but the feed store is telling me the price on soy hulls is down quite a bit relative to wheat midds. Anyone with any experience between the two? I imagine the wet cows will still get just hay but I'll probably start giving the yearling developing bulls the hulls/midds as well as weaned calves.

angus9259":12fo6pg4 said:
Gonna have to ration hay this year. I plan to put out a supplement pellet - usually I use wheat midds, but the feed store is telling me the price on soy hulls is down quite a bit relative to wheat midds. Anyone with any experience between the two? I imagine the wet cows will still get just hay but I'll probably start giving the yearling developing bulls the hulls/midds as well as weaned calves.
I'm not much at feeding "ingredients" as complete feed but if I had to do it I'd pick the soyhulls. Midds are a great feed ingredient but soyhulls have more energy, are more digestible and contain about all the protein hey need, not to mention the high fiber. I wouldn't want them to comprise the entire diet tho.

jerry27150":rog8gx8m said:
wheat mids crude protein 16.5 fat 4.5 tdn 72.8 soy hulls crude protien 10 fat 2 tdn 71
Most companies selling midds only guarantee 15% protein..some a bit less, 1.5% fat and 68TDN. The man needs "fiber" and he will get it from the hulls, not midds.

Fiber is my concern. Normally I use a manufactured pellet containing 50% midds and 15% hulls with other materials such as corn, distillers, molasses, mineral, salt, etc. I use the pellets as a creep for winter calves. However, short on hay, I may need to feed it to older bulls. I think the midds may contain more protein, but I'm wondering if it's too hot for full feed on year old + bulls? Maybe there's not that much difference between the two to care or tell?

angus9259":31j36q7g said:
Fiber is my concern. Normally I use a manufactured pellet containing 50% midds and 15% hulls with other materials such as corn, distillers, molasses, mineral, salt, etc. I use the pellets as a creep for winter calves. However, short on hay, I may need to feed it to older bulls. I think the midds may contain more protein, but I'm wondering if it's too hot for full feed on year old + bulls? Maybe there's not that much difference between the two to care or tell?
They are both good ingredients but as different as daylight and dark. I'll leave it that.

Latest posts