Sfc vs rfc

Help Support CattleToday:

laek

Reaction score
I've been looking into getting steam flaked corn for my steers. A local mill sells roasted flaked corn and not sfc. Does anyone know if the nutritional value would be the same as sfc better or worse? We have been feeding rolled corn. Any insight would be great thanks!

I feed whole shell corn. All the research I have ever seen, says WSC is 8% less efficient than other processed corn. If you can buy WSC 8% cheaper, that is the best way to feed out your cattle.
I feed Sept/Oct born steers to an average 750# hanging carcass at 12 months of age - on WSC.
Yes, you will SEE the corn in their manure, but the other corn is there also, you just can't SEE it as well. 8% - think about that and price it out.
I feed WSC to my show string - and I win. I do not buy fancy bagged show feed. I mix my own with WSC as the basis.
You are paying a pretty penny for rolled or steam flaked corn. Yes, it looks pretty. Pretty doesn't make me money.

This is what I was looking at that had me thinking about switching to sfc. Currently my cost per kg on cc is .57 cents and for sfc it would be .53 cents a kg. There are some nutritional benefits and it's cheaper. I'll price out whole corn and see if it makes sense for me.

Attachments

• B80906A5-FD46-4EA7-9A18-101969AA0131.jpeg
    B80906A5-FD46-4EA7-9A18-101969AA0131.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 7
The sample animal being fed sfc started at the lowest weight and ended at the highest. I was wondering if there is much of a difference between steam flaked corn and roasted flaked corn? Roasted flaked corn is what is available to me.

I tried to find a difference using the Univ of MN ration balancer -- but it doesn't denote roasted flaked, just steamed. A google search mentioned roasted in a study, but I didn't read through to see if it had details on nutrition differences.

I'm glad Jeanne responded about WSC -- the processing of corn does yield marginal gains -- which for a huge operation/feedlot more than pays for the extra costs -- but for a small operation WSC is likely the cheapest option.

Latest posts