Southerner Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I don't know how you southerners can take that heat and humidity you usually have....After our weeks of rain- the temp started warming up...Friday we moved cows to summer pasture- did it early and not too bad except for the mucky conditions around the corrals on some we had to cut out- yesterday we branded the partner cattle- and temp was about 75 with little breeze and partly cloudy, about perfect...

But this morning the humidity was 97% and temp 70 at 6AM- we worked some bulls-- By noon now its 83 degrees down here in the river valley, muggy, no wind, and I feel like I've worked for 24 hours straight....Rung out and soaking wet- would've peeled down to my shorts except I'd probably of run the bulls, my son, and his buddy all away :shock: :lol:

It could be worse OT. During dog days here it might be 100+ degrees with 98% humidity.

The cows sometime stand in the shade panting with their tongue out trying to stay cool.

Been unusually nice as far as temps this year. Everyday so far the Heat Index is lower than actual temp which is unusual.

Oldtimer":26n4m9pa said:
I don't know how you southerners can take that heat and humidity you usually have....After our weeks of rain- the temp started warming up...Friday we moved cows to summer pasture- did it early and not too bad except for the mucky conditions around the corrals on some we had to cut out- yesterday we branded the partner cattle- and temp was about 75 with little breeze and partly cloudy, about perfect...

But this morning the humidity was 97% and temp 70 at 6AM- we worked some bulls-- By noon now its 83 degrees down here in the river valley, muggy, no wind, and I feel like I've worked for 24 hours straight....Rung out and soaking wet- would've peeled down to my shorts except I'd probably of run the bulls, my son, and his buddy all away :shock: :lol:

Dang at 70 starting to think about squirrel hunting must of had a cold front come through.

The best way I've found to deal with it is to start early and your body will acclimate to it. Stay away from A/C! Don't go sit down for lunch - you'll pay later. Just stay in it all day and its not too bad.

I noticed I was cool in Montana several years ago and the temp was 90 - felt like our 70.

Oldtimer":2kdiitm0 said:
I don't know how you southerners can take that heat and humidity you usually have....But this morning the humidity was 97% and temp 70 at 6AM- we worked some bulls-- By noon now its 83 degrees down here in the river valley, muggy, no wind, and I feel like I've worked for 24 hours straight....Rung out and soaking wet- would've peeled down to my shorts except I'd probably of run the bulls, my son, and his buddy all away :shock: :lol:

The real seceret to taking the heat is the flip side of the coin. We just think about your winters. That thought alone make us able to deal with the summer heat and lack of real cold winters. No you know.

It just comes down to what you are use to or grew up in.

My Grandfather never had anything that had air conditioning until he was 80. He wore long sleeve Dickey's clothes year round and alway's wore a tee shirt. He bought a new F250 in 1990 and I guess you couldn't buy them without AC at that time. Grandmother's cars had had AC for a while by then.

Ryder":189hwre3 said:
When I start to complain about the heat I just remind myself how much I don't like the cold. Makes me appreciate hot weather.

That is what I try to do. I do find the cold bracing and refreshing when it is dry. Wet cold weather is really hard on me these days, though. Everything around here is standing in water and there is more rain forcast. Hot and humid!

mnmtranching":1hjr01v2 said:
Muggy and all that rain in Eastern MT. :shock:

We've had record breaking rains- broke alltime record for May- over 6.5 inches (when we only got 10 all last year)...Water standing everywhere- some creeks still running bankfull...Had more rain showers last night- and they're predicting rain for Tues on this week...
So when it warms up we get muggy- just not very used to that...But it sure is growing some beautiful grass :D :D

Oldtimer":261a21fn said:
mnmtranching":261a21fn said:
Muggy and all that rain in Eastern MT. :shock:

We've had record breaking rains- broke alltime record for May- over 6.5 inches (when we only got 10 all last year)...Water standing everywhere- some creeks still running bankfull...Had more rain showers last night- and they're predicting rain for Tues on this week...
So when it warms up we get muggy- just not very used to that...But it sure is growing some beautiful grass :D :D

Our average rainfall is 60 inches a year, the year before last we only got 90 inches. Keeps the humidity low.

This is Montana- yesterday it was hot muggy weather- now they are issuing a winter storm watch :roll:

Actually this is for 150 miles west of me as the crow flys- but the rain (up to an inch) that is supposed to come over to us is the reason I'm taking the bulls out tomorrow...

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GREAT FALLS...STANFORD...LEWISTOWN..
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS
245 PM MDT MON JUN 4 2007

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY AFTERNOON

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREAT FALLS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH
...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL DEVELOP OVER THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 6000
FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH LOCAL
ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 FEET ON HIGHER MOUNTAIN PEAKS.
A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

I'm just like Oldtimer I suppose. I start to wilt in temperatures over 80 and temps over 90 send me running for the nearest waterhole to cool off.

This is one boy who will never retire to florida :lol:

It was 96 here yesterday with 2 1/2 inches of rain, have gotten 34 inches for the year so far about normal.
When you walk outside just tear off a piece of air to breath or drink choice is yours.
Forty acres of hay on the ground and waiting on the dew to dry.

Heat you get used to. What is a bother is sweat getting in my eyes. I'll bet I sweated out 10 gallons/hour yesterday (may be just a slight exaggeration) and had to stop every few minutes and take my spectacles off and wipe it out of my eyes.

Up here in North Central MN we get a dose of everything. It can be 100 with 15% humidity and wind like crazy forest fires start from a spark from the highway. Or get rainy and muggy for weeks then people refer to it as rain forests. Sometimes impossible to put up 5-6 ton per acre hay. Or some years it's so dry [last year] a Jackrabbit has to pack a lunch before he crosses a hayfield. :roll:

Ryder said:
Heat you get used to. What is a bother is sweat getting in my eyes. I'll bet I sweated out 10 gallons/hour yesterday (may be just a slight exaggeration) and had to stop every few minutes and take my spectacles off and wipe it out of my eyes.[/quot

Try to find some cotton sweat bands, they will do the trick

houstoncutter":1obrq0w7 said:
Ryder":1obrq0w7 said:
Heat you get used to. What is a bother is sweat getting in my eyes. I'll bet I sweated out 10 gallons/hour yesterday (may be just a slight exaggeration) and had to stop every few minutes and take my spectacles off and wipe it out of my eyes.[/quot

And I thought all you Southern folk took siesta's ;-)

mnmtranching":2nlvs6mx said:
houstoncutter":2nlvs6mx said:
Ryder":2nlvs6mx said:

And I thought all you Southern folk took siesta's ;-)
Normally, yes. But we have to get out in the heat every now and then. Have to pump our on gas since service stations stopped having attendants do it. Things like that. It's a rough life. :(

Latest posts