south west missouri

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
how much rain have u all got or going to get. here in the northeast part we had4 to 6 inches over the weekend and first part of the week and there saying 2 to 5 more threw sat so maybe a foot of rain on some areas in a week. orderd the grass carp to mow my yard this moring

I'm in South Central MO; our weekend was clear with a shower Monday morning. I think we're looking at the up to 5" also in the next couple of days.

Same weekend and forecast here as J&D, but I think they overbid on how much rain we are going to get. We have only gotten about an inch thus far. I can't complain as what we have gotten has soaked in with very little run off.
Ron

Don't think we have got even a inch yet, seems it's all 15 miles to the north, that's ok I'm sure by the end of the weekend we will have plenty for the fields I have got done to get a good start on the next cutting. And I sure am glad I got everything baled yesterday that I had down, saw what will be sevarel thousand bales raked and getting rained on this afternoon.

Got just shy of 3" at one farm and around 2" at others yesterday and last night. We had to abort the square bale idea after about 200 and rolled the rest of the hay up in rounds just as it was starting yesterday afternoon.

J&D Cattle":3bvj671w said:
Got just shy of 3" at one farm and around 2" at others yesterday and last night. We had to abort the square bale idea after about 200 and rolled the rest of the hay up in rounds just as it was starting yesterday afternoon.
I had to quit baling yesterday afternoon and we ended up with a measly 1 3/4 inches

dun":1ai70d77 said:
J&D Cattle":1ai70d77 said:
I had to quit baling yesterday afternoon and we ended up with a measly 1 3/4 inches

That stinks. I sure wish we would have been able to square bale the rest. It was a small field so it would have probably made another 300-400. Man it's hard to find anybody to haul squares. Luckily my buddy stopped by and helped me. My Dad and Uncle are both heart patients and aren't much help. It was their hay I was just lucky enough to help.

J&D Cattle":1v08d931 said:
dun":1v08d931 said:
J&D Cattle":1v08d931 said:

That stinks. I sure wish we would have been able to square bale the rest. It was a small field so it would have probably made another 300-400. Man it's hard to find anybody to haul squares. Luckily my buddy stopped by and helped me. My Dad and Uncle are both heart patients and aren't much help. It was their hay I was just lucky enough to help.
Last week we put up 400 small squares, sold all ut 150. The guy that wanted the rest backed out.
The field we were rolling was only about 1/4 done. Guess I'll be tedding in a couple of days and end up putting up some crap hay. Still have a barn full from last year though.

dun":30m61ure said:
J&D Cattle":30m61ure said:

That would equal our precip for the month of June!

3waycross":183w9fja said:
dun":183w9fja said:
J&D Cattle":183w9fja said:

That would equal our precip for the month of June!
Driest month we've had this year - so far

So, how badly did you get clobbered by the latest. We ended May 6/10 below avg and as of now we're well over half way to normal for June.

TennesseeTuxedo":3gwoyw97 said:
Sure beats the drought though doesn't it fellas?
To a degree it does. But I have one hay field down that I won;t be able to get to with the tractor for a few days because of the flooding

We are having serious flooding right now, but at this point in time I'll take it over the past 2 summers. There is something about drought; feels like everything around me is dead or dying. Getting up in the morning and looking at another hot dry day was very depressing. Mother nature is has unleased her fury on us the past couple days. I don't wish property damage or injury/death on anybody, but at least it's exciting to be alive, if that makes sense. If we could quantify the true impact of drought, we would find it far more devastating than any other weather event, I believe.

Ouachita":382whk7v said:
We are having serious flooding right now, but at this point in time I'll take it over the past 2 summers. There is something about drought; feels like everything around me is dead or dying. Getting up in the morning and looking at another hot dry day was very depressing. Mother nature is has unleased her fury on us the past couple days. I don't wish property damage or injury/death on anybody, but at least it's exciting to be alive, if that makes sense. If we could quantify the true impact of drought, we would find it far more devastating than any other weather event, I believe.
Most weather events you can see the results/effect. Drought the effect is so long term and frequently not easily observed. In our timber we lost around 1 tree in 10, not a big impact but big enough, they seem to have died in patches and the trees ourside of those patches get gradually healthier. And yet there are spots that will have a couple of dead trees and a perfectly healthy (so far) tree right next to them. Kind of depressing

In central and Northeast Iowa we got over 9 inches of rain last week. The farther north and east you go the wetter it is and fewer acres of crops planted. Hopefully the weather forecast is wrong but as of now after today there is a chance of rain the rest of the week. I did get my pasture sprayed yesterday but I was leaving tracks in some areas.

Latest posts