sorting sticks?

Help Support CattleToday:

Use fibreglass sorting poles. They do the job, like the length and strength of them. Always thought a sorting cane would be better. I think the rattle paddle would work well, but I don't care for the sound myself, or holding the weight of it with arm extended. Like the idea of flagged poles and may eventually go to that. Have whip poles and found them relatively useless.

highgrit":5yvoz1xr said:
We use fiberglass sorting sticks. When the sale barn owners sponsor our cattlemens meetings, they always bring some sorting sticks and caps to give away.
Same here, when I'm not using an old shovel or rake handle. There's always someone giving those white fiberglas sticks away--got one a few months ago during a beef symposium at their trade show.

Light blue alkathene (plastic, I guess), but it's more a steering stick than anything I touch them with. With a couple of long ones (somebody ran over the end of one the other day in the driveway, so it's now shorter :mad: ) I steer my cattle along the lanes and through the wide bits on the way to the yards. I don't know if they can see blue better than other colors, but I can.

I'm a bit embarrassed, all I use is the green stripe 1" rural black poly pipe and lots of them. They seem to migrate from the outer yards to the crush where I am working them then I have to pick up a bundle of them and take back down the other end to start again. My young Kelpie has decimated them a bit, they are his favourite piece of hardware to play with when there is not much action on, fortunately he hasn't migrated this fascination to the numerous black snakes around the place.
Ken

broken white pvc water pipe 4 to 6 feet with flag and my cane in other hand. I can cover about 12 to 15 feet. Cuts down the distance I have to cover. Not as quick as I used to be.

I ordered some sorting sticks from KV Supply. These are 54"x 1/2" and are made from aluminum w/ the golf handles. I hope I like them as I've never seen any that were aluminum. I hope they are not to heavy. I'll let you all know how I like them. They only had 2 left. So either they are popular or they are going to stop carrying them! LOL :roll: B&G

Tobacco stick (all the KY guys should know what I'm talking about)

Ok, I'm sure I'll show my ignorance here, but does "sorting" cattle mean something different than what it implies and, therefore, people have to purchase special sticks for the best results?
If you're just talking about just moving cattle where you want them, I usually just wave my hands or pick up a stick lying on the ground, which I very rarely even use.

herofan":3xwx5yjj said:
Ok, I'm sure I'll show my ignorance here, but does "sorting" cattle mean something different than what it implies and, therefore, people have to purchase special sticks for the best results?
If you're just talking about just moving cattle where you want them, I usually just wave my hands or pick up a stick lying on the ground, which I very rarely even use.
Back when we were just starting out, we used a whip. A 4 ft rod with braided string the whole length with a tassel on the end that would whip. Around the 90s, solid sticks could be bought. They were better, if you need to wonk someone on the head, it would be enough to turn them back, unlike the fluffy whip.
We use them to move cattle, to keep anyone from turning back. When we sort cows from calves, it helps to turn back a calf and let the cow by. If moving into a pen, you can use the stick, unlike the whip, to jab in the side to keep them moving yet keeping you out of kicking range. I find that if you just point the stick at a cow, she's not likely going to come your way, (but not all the time). We use them mostly for jabbing forward, extending you as a barrier and a occasional wonk on the nose if they try to break out and keeping you out of kicking range..

herofan":13zuxyzp said:

We are talking about the different tools used when separating "sorting" cattle for example: Heifers from Steers, Calves from Cows, Bulls from Cows etc. You usually have turn them back the other way. They make Flags, Whips, Sorting Sticks, Rattle Paddles, Rattle Bats, Canes. They come many colors, shapes and sizes. B&G

Beaver sticks are the only way to go. The beavers always seem to cut them to just the right length. No credit card needed.

sim.-ang.king":9m97d8xv said:
Beaver sticks are the only way to go. The beavers always seem to cut them to just the right length. No credit card needed.
Guess I need some beaver. I have to cut my own...but it works great. :nod:

Hook":252wfpyw said:
sim.-ang.king":252wfpyw said:
Too many jokes available there :cowboy:
I'll try and be good.
As far as sticks we use everything from rattle paddles to fiberglass sticks to a tree limb to the composit PowerFlex fence post. Liking the fence post best.

jedstivers":1fm8mnbk said:
I'll try and be good.
As far as sticks we use everything from rattle paddles to fiberglass sticks to a tree limb to the composit PowerFlex fence post. Liking the fence post best.
Or a Louisville Slugger. :lol:

TexasBred":9qry5nr5 said:
jedstivers":9qry5nr5 said:
I'll try and be good.
Or a Louisville Slugger. :lol:

We had an old Brangus cow and if you were going to be anywhere around her you better have a baseball bat. that sister was crazy and mean and that bat only made her back off for a min you better move after you hit her.

Latest posts