sorting sticks?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this. But yeesterday I was moving some cattle preparing for the snow thats supposed to be here today. I broke my favorite sorting stick yesterday so as I sit having coffee I thought I would start a conversation about what everyone uses/likes for sorting/working their cattle? I've prefered a working stick with a golf style grip but most I find are about 8" to long for my taste. Let me know what you like for example whips, bead paddles, sorting sticks etc. Also who do you all think makes the best sorting stick out there? When I get for myself I want to buy the best. I have several. But, just wondering whats the best one! Thanks B&G :cboy:

White plastic stick about 4.5' with a plastic grip. It tapers slightly. I get a pic of it later. I'm thinking of painting it blue.

Broken handles, push brooms, shovels, pitch fork, etc. so, I break a shovel the handle becomes a sorting stick.

We use fiberglass sorting sticks. When the sale barn owners sponsor our cattlemens meetings, they always bring some sorting sticks and caps to give away.

I used a bent up show stick for a long time. When it broke I bought one of those plastic paddles. I'm not crazy about the paddle, so I'll eventually get an old show stick again.

I use a rattle paddle. Use it more for the noise and the wide area to put in front of their face. Rarely ever hit one with it anyway but if you do its mostly the noise that stops them. My cousin says he dont like it because the cows thinls its a rattlesnake and scares them. Not mine.

I've been using those fiberglass ones that tractor supply sales for about $14. But at the last cattlemens meeting one of the local Stockport owners was the guest speaker and he brought some of those whips with the flags on the end and I got one. Didn't really think much of it but I've used it a couple of times and love it. You can shake that flag in front of them and they will stop. Shake it behind them and they will go.

The free ones!

(edited to add that the rattle sticks WILL NOT work as a crutch when trying to reach the truck with a broken leg)

I use a young sapling I cut in the woods. I think the one I"m using now is pi$$ elm. About 7-8 ft. long and about 1-1 1/2" in diameter on the big end. Works fine for tapping cows on the rear or directing them. Have had the same one now for probably 5-6 years.

We have an assortment of the fiberglass ones. We have a white oone that leaves little splinters all in my hands, i hate that one. We bought 2 new ones that are grey, i like those. But, i always seem to leave mine sitting at the other end of the corrals, so i usually end up grabbing a pecan limb. We have a big pecan in the middle of our corrals and it drops limbs constantly so they are always handy. Sometimes they are really long, i like those.

I have and have used about every kind there is, but I think the rattle paddle is the best, it has become my favorite anyway.

I use and old piece of hickory my dad shaved down for a walking stick. Not sure how old it is, but he's been gone 20 years now. Probably not the best, but I like to keep it around.

kenny thomas":1xj04zks said:
I use a rattle paddle.

I used to use one of those, where I used to work........I used it whenever I had to deal with the swans (on a daily basis) especially during mating/breeding/nesting season.

Occasionally they were used when sorting cows.

Here at home, my favorite sorting stick is an old broom handle. I also have a couple of the fiberglass ones with the black plastic handle (my husband prefers that type). Over at my hog pen I have a couple of old broom handles for the same purpose.

I'm almost always horseback when I work cattle so I don't usually have a stick handy. It seems like most of the time if I sort on foot I use my hat. I like it because you can turn it this way or that to make your hand look bigger or smaller and stick it in that sweet spot to make certain cattle go a different direction from the others. I do like a rattle paddle for the same reason but I don't even own one anymore.

I got fiber glass sticks use to have a buggy whip till I broke it and I always carry my hot shot in my left hand in case one gets any bright ideas. Best thing I ever had back when I was up on a horse was a 8ft bull whip. A guy we were penning for had an old Angus bull who liked to turn back, and charge, guy never could get him penned that's why we were there. every time the bull turned I let him have that whip tore his face up but got him in the pens onto a trailer and off to the sale barn.

I've tried a number of different things, but prefer the handle from a garden rake, with the rake part broken off and the metal collar still on the bottom.

We've got a collection of the long fiberglass ones, rattle paddles, and flag type ones over the years from our county livestock association banquet. All will work pretty well, but the rattle paddle seems to keep them moving the best for us when we're sorting and loading.

Latest posts