Fiberglass Sorting Sticks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Useful for sorting cattle but they are also handy to beat the bushes back to see whats making all the noise at your feet. Can you see it? Hint-look at 10 o'clock from something red.

11855814_1479486759015885_1089594094130690171_n.jpg

It took a second, but I did see what looks to be the head of that little creature, in the 1st pic. :shock:

Yikes!

Nice hide there. Would make a nice belt. ;-)

That is the head you see. Rest of the body is to the left but nearly impossible to see.

They do make pretty belts. IMO, the prettiest belt is from the cottonmouth. You wouldn't think it but they are beautiful when tanned.

I've never been able to get one (of any species) long enough to make a belt, or even a hatband. For some reason, they always end up being in little short lengths not even long enough to make a watchband out of..

greybeard":3oi3fe7x said:
I've never been able to get one (of any species) long enough to make a belt, or even a hatband. For some reason, they always end up being in little short lengths not even long enough to make a watchband out of..

I found the best way to kill them is to take a limber switch to them and whip them. Hide will be intact....if you want to make something out of it.

The top belt is a cottonmouth and the bottom is a diamondback

A buddy of mine used to say to shoot them with a 22. It was slow enough that the snake would strike at the bullet and blow his head off. Watched him oneday empty a 9 shot revolver at a 4 foot rattler that apparantly didn;t read the book. I finally took care of business with some birdshot in some 357 mags I loaded just for that purpose. His idea might have worked if he wasn;t shaking so bad that I doubt the bullets came within a couple of feet of the snake.

It can be frustrating when wildlife don't follow the rules.

Something neat to do is blow a balloon up and tie it to the end of a long stick and push it in the direction of the snake. The warm air in the balloon will give him a good target to strike at and its pretty impressive when he does.

Jogeephus":3fmu4ze2 said:
It can be frustrating when wildlife don't follow the rules.

Something neat to do is blow a balloon up and tie it to the end of a long stick and push it in the direction of the snake. The warm air in the balloon will give him a good target to strike at and its pretty impressive when he does.

By 'long stick" I assume you mean a sharp garden hoe.

That'll work.

BTW, if you are out and about, best watch your step they seem to be crawling good here. Came across another one today which makes 3 in 4 days all within 400 yards of one another.

Jogeephus":zge762ua said:

Joe does your selection of either of the above belts give us unsuspecting potential victims any idea about your mindset at such time as we might bump into you?? A little advance warning?? DB selected over Cottonmouth or vice versa??

TB, belt selection wouldn't matter. Like Lassie, I'm as calm and laid back as can be but like Lassie you don't want to go messing with her.

Here is a timber rattlesnake made into a rifle sling.

10272498_733156846704878_6830979750299659627_o.jpg

brimmer X":3eospe10 said:
Jogeephus, did you make the knife that killed the snake? Pistol grip, like it.

Can't say I made the knife but I did fashion the antler handle on a Ontario knife I had busted the handle on. The pistol grip fits the hand really nice.