Sorghum Sudan and a bush hog.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cut 160 acres once with a new holland swather.
Everything about it was slow. Slow to cut. Slow to rake. Slow to dry down.
Then the rain came....
I dont think anyone in oklahoma owns, or knows what a tedder is. We needed one badly for that hay. It would have made really nice hay if we had one, and got it put up b4 the rain

And yes! The cows will eat every bite!

callmefence said:
Texasmark said:
The results of the way a Hog cuts is that the clippings are too short for a baler to pickup with any efficiency, especially a roller. I just baled some dry grass yesterday, cut with a drum mower up to 10" and had a lot of chaff, lot of chaff. Bales looked like Peach fuzz.

You have 2 options as my experience teaches: A stand alone Crimper, like a NH or IH (forget which) 404 drag type, or a Tedder. the conditioner smashes the stems and the tedder scatters the hay. You can ted several times a day with the sun out and work wonders on getting fast curing.....the tedder works like a mixer in the batter when making a cake....just different material.
You use a Tedder on haygrazer.? I never have but I've never thought it would work very well on the long heavy wet stalks. I would think it would just ball up

By the time my haygrazer is coming off it's dry enough that I don't need to tedder......even if I could....it would let me....doubt you could, especially on 8' product as you said...crop too heavy.

The tedding is for winter grasses and the small curing window that momma nature allows us. The stuff I just baled was coastal, rye, and KY31. It didn't need tedding as weather was dry enough.