Sores on bottle calf - Newbie mom

Help Support CattleToday:

aprill85

Reaction score
We were given a calf when it was 3 days old. The mom wouldn't mess with her from the first moment when the calf had to be pulled. On day three the calf still had not gotten anything to eat and mom died. The owner went get newborn calf milk and the next step milk and we've been bottle feeding her ever since. He's now gifted her to us (because hes a great man and saw we bonded)

Well recently she's been getting these odd sores on her body. It has been raining a lot lately, don't really know if thats a factor. The sores aren't actual breaks in the skin, its just a scab like layer of skin that takes the fur off with it. It doesn't look red and it isnt hot. Im just not sure what to think. I dont want to panic for nothing, but I also can't stand there and watch it get bigger.

She's active and is strong. Runs and kicks and has a healthy appetite. Her poop resembles dog poop, not sure if thats normal.

Im attempting pictures for the first time on this site so please be patient if it doesn't work the first time.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/ ... q4yprc.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/ ... j7j4lt.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/ ... rfhygy.jpg

I can't seem to access the pictures, but I have an old computer and am not very computer literate anyway. What about ringworm? It usually is a rough patch that the hair falls off, kinda grayish looking. No temps, not usually bloody unless they rub it hard and break the skin. Ringworm is actually a type of fungus. We either spray iodine on it, soaking it, or use something like vaseline and rub it on and smother it. It often goes away when the weather gets nicer and they get alot of sun. We get it at one farm where the calves can get into the barn so assume that the previous calves have rubbed against the wall/doorway or whatever. Supposed to be contagious if they come into contact. Not the end of the world and calves seldom act like it bothers them.

farmerjan":su0xsknk said:
I can't seem to access the pictures, but I have an old computer and am not very computer literate anyway. What about ringworm? It usually is a rough patch that the hair falls off, kinda grayish looking. No temps, not usually bloody unless they rub it hard and break the skin. Ringworm is actually a type of fungus. We either spray iodine on it, soaking it, or use something like vaseline and rub it on and smother it. It often goes away when the weather gets nicer and they get alot of sun. We get it at one farm where the calves can get into the barn so assume that the previous calves have rubbed against the wall/doorway or whatever. Supposed to be contagious if they come into contact. Not the end of the world and calves seldom act like it bothers them.
I can only get the turd(third) picture to show. I was wondering about ring worm also.

These are very great suggestions. I'm really not sure if it is, but this would be an easy fix. Some of the areas is on her flank and she can lick it... Is there something preferred to use when she can lick the area?

Any ideas on how to upload a picture?

Latest posts