sore/frozen feet

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

It been 10-20 degrees for the last 8-10 days and I noticed a yearling heifer walking very gingerly last night. The cows are feed from a circular feeder that now has uneven frozen ground around it. I plan on moving the feeder this AM, but what's the best way to treat the heifer's feet?

[email protected]

You need to determine why her feet seem sore. Maybe she is just moving slowly to avoid hurting her feet. If she is indeed lame, does she have bed feet? Curled toes or cracks in her hooves would indicate a hoof trim might be in order. It is possible she has cut her feet on the frozen ground, and you will have to watch her for foot rot.

Moving the hay feeder is a good idea, post any new questions you might have about her.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

She's not limping, just taking shorter, slower steps. Hooves don't seem cracked. The skin between hooves is not red or inflamed. She seemed OK last night but when I feed this AM she seemed sore again. She's not one of the dominate in herd so I was also thinking maybe she took a head shot to the ribs. Could this be a possibility? If so, how do I confirm & treat?

[email protected]

It sounds like she is just being timid and careful on the frozen ground. She shouldn't need any treatment except making sure she gets enough to eat. If she hangs back you might have to seperate her to make sure she doesn't lose too much weight.

The only other possibility is founder, but you don't say you are feeding any grain. Make sure she eats, in cold weather a cow's nutritional requirements can double.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Latest posts