Trimming Feet

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Who trims their herds feet?

One of my girls (almost 4) has a crack in her foot. I had a friend look at her and he suggested I call in this guy to do my herds feet. I have never done it. Never even thought about it. I thought it was a dairy thing. She is the only one with this issue in my herd of 20.

I am waiting for her calf which should be here any minute but wondering if anyone else does this? Its quiet expensive and before I call him I wanted to get advice on if I should be spending my money on this.

(she does have access to mineral, it does have enough copper, the crack has been there for about a year I have posted about her bad foot before. It is acting up again I believe because she is so big)

Trimming feet is a hot button topic for some in the industry.

But, it sounds like you care for your animal, so, much like any other injury, have it treated.

I instituted managed grazing six years ago and one thing I have noticed is that my herd doesn't walk enough to wear down their hooves. Moreover, the past six years have been very wet. So, I have had to have a couple cows get trimmed. They are good cows, good mothers so it seemed worth the expense.

But, this is a hot button issue, you likely will get different opinions (ship her! cull her! -- those are valid opinions as well).

i had it done with one cow years ago that had been foundered before I bought her. I was just starting out and had a few registered cows so we thought it was justified to have it done. Now a days I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of it easier just to cull them unless their is a sentimental reasoning to keep them.

We've trimmed bulls before. Never done the whole herd. It's always been kind of a case by case deal for us. I think it cost $25.00 a hd. Didn't matter if we only needed one done. As long as we weren't in a rush our trimmer would try and get a couple farms lined up in our area to make it worth the trip for him.

If your cow has had that crack in her good for a year, it might help to trim it. Hard to say until you get in to it.
I agree it will probably help a lot for her to calve and get rid of some weight.

Vertical or horizontal crack? Iodine level is something to consider for vertical. Are they getting enough? Horizontal is generally a feed/maybe even a sickness issue like founder.

Ebenezer said:
Vertical or horizontal crack? Iodine level is something to consider for vertical. Are they getting enough? Horizontal is generally a feed/maybe even a sickness issue like founder.

Since she's the only one with issues I don't think it's a feed issue. I think she did something. It's horizontal

I've had a few over the years with a horizontal crack near the tip of the toe and it usually breaks off, heals on its own but I clean it with diluted iodine and douse with Kopertox. Only had 1 cow that needed trimmed, generally once a year, and just used a hoof nipper and file.

TCRanch said:
I've had a few over the years with a horizontal crack near the tip of the toe and it usually breaks off, heals on its own but I clean it with diluted iodine and douse with Kopertox. Only had 1 cow that needed trimmed, generally once a year, and just used a hoof nipper and file.

Ah good to know it healed ok. It's been about a year but it's not nearly as bad as it was last year. Seems the closer she gets to calving the worse it gets so assuming her weight is playing a role. I can do my herd of 20 for $500. I think I'll do it. But the consensus I'm taking is it's not a common thing to do to the herd each year.

Latest posts