Bull with sore lower leg

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I have a 2100# bull who came up limping Sunday morning. He was fine Saturday evening, but Sunday morning was slow and favoring his hind right leg. He was still getting around, but clearly in some pain as when he would stand still to eat he would hold his back right hoof on its tip. So I assumed that he may have stepped on something and got the flashlight and held it up to the underside of his foot. I couldn't find anything. The next day, he was still limping but stood flatter on the foot. He was swollen in the area above the foot around the lower leg/ankle area. I thought some rest would do him some good, so I put him in a confined area where he has access to food, water, and hay (Thankfully he completed his breeding of his first round of cows and isn't needed again until July 1st.) I have been giving him some cattle aspirin bolus' and they seem to be helping some. This morning the swelling was down but he was still favoring his lower leg and getting around slowly. I was going to give some Banamine as an anti-inflammatory, but read where it shouldn't be given to breeding bulls. Any thoughts of another way to help him or is it more of a wait and heal game right now?

Can you get him in a chute so you can thoroughly examine the foot? Foot rot is a possibility. Stick you finger between the toes and take a whiff. If the smell 'bout knocks you out the foot needs to be thoroughly cleaned; I use diluted iodine and "floss" with a rag cut in strips then follow up with Kopertox and generally just LA300 (if it's advanced foot rot I use Draxxin). I've also had lameness in cattle caused by small rocks wedged waaaay up between the toes and had to get them out with a flat head screwdriver. An abscess is another possibility - again, determined by a thorough exam. That would need to be opened so it will drain. A simple strain or tweak? Discomfort can be minimized with aspirin (which you're doing) and DMSO is also an option. Wear gloves! And if you can't safely get near his leg I've stuck a paintbrush in the end of an extendable tension rod and "painted" it on.

Thinking outside the box: if you can't get him in a chute and he's relatively tame it may be possible to remove debris from between the toes with pliers or a stick. Again, take a whiff. If it appears it's foot rot Sustain III Cattle Boluses will help. I break them in half and hand-feed with cubes but you can mix them in with feed (sometimes drizzling molasses helps).

TCRanch said:
Can you get him in a chute so you can thoroughly examine the foot? Foot rot is a possibility. Stick you finger between the toes and take a whiff. If the smell 'bout knocks you out the foot needs to be thoroughly cleaned; I use diluted iodine and "floss" with a rag cut in strips then follow up with Kopertox and generally just LA300 (if it's advanced foot rot I use Draxxin). I've also had lameness in cattle caused by small rocks wedged waaaay up between the toes and had to get them out with a flat head screwdriver. An abscess is another possibility - again, determined by a thorough exam. That would need to be opened so it will drain. A simple strain or tweak? Discomfort can be minimized with aspirin (which you're doing) and DMSO is also an option. Wear gloves! And if you can't safely get near his leg I've stuck a paintbrush in the end of an extendable tension rod and "painted" it on.

Thinking outside the box: if you can't get him in a chute and he's relatively tame it may be possible to remove debris from between the toes with pliers or a stick. Again, take a whiff. If it appears it's foot rot Sustain III Cattle Boluses will help. I break them in half and hand-feed with cubes but you can mix them in with feed (sometimes drizzling molasses helps).
I generally agree with your post, but you shouldn't be using DMSO in food animals. Nasty stuff.

Buck Randall said:
TCRanch said:

I generally agree with your post, but you shouldn't be using DMSO in food animals. Nasty stuff.
Thanks, Buck. Since it's right in the cattle aisle at Atwood's I assumed it was okay but Googled it, based on your comment. Approved for horses but not cattle without a vet-client-patient-relationship.

I had one, that actually had a piece of old hotwire wrapped around his foot just above the foot if that makes sense. He had gotten it wrapped up and pulled so hard he broke the wire but left a wrap of wire under the hair that I couldnt see. Had to feel of it. Was quite odd. When I cut the wire off. It actually exposed the wound. Never would've known it actually broke the hide til I cut it off. Anyway...

MurraysMutts said:
I had one, that actually had a piece of old hotwire wrapped around his foot just above the foot if that makes sense. He had gotten it wrapped up and pulled so hard he broke the wire but left a wrap of wire under the hair that I couldnt see. Had to feel of it. Was quite odd. When I cut the wire off. It actually exposed the wound. Never would've known it actually broke the hide til I cut it off. Anyway...

I ruined a $2,700 cow exactly the same way. She healed up but never got over her limp. Must of cut in to the tendons some.

TCRanch said:
Buck Randall said:
TCRanch said:

Thanks, Buck. Since it's right in the cattle aisle at Atwood's I assumed it was okay but Googled it, based on your comment. Approved for horses but not cattle without a vet-client-patient-relationship.

DMSO is interesting stuff. When I ran out of ideas on chronic lungers I used to IV them with DMSO. By the time you put the syringe down, the snot would be running out of the calf. Really clears there lungs and makes their breath smell like garlic.

SBMF 2015 said:
MurraysMutts said:

I ruined a $2,700 cow exactly the same way. She healed up but never got over her limp. Must of cut in to the tendons some.

Along those lines, had a bull with a limp but I couldn't find anything so hauled him to the vet. Vet was initially concerned he had a stifle injury but felt kind of a raised area above the hock. Shaved his leg and discovered a scar from some kind of cut or puncture. Made an incision and the pus was epic plus he had a slight temp (103.5). Made another incision, thoroughly flushed and threaded a latex tube through the holes so it would continue to drain. 25cc Exenel, 80cc penicillin and I was supposed to flush & give another 80cc every other day. Looked like it healed beautifully so we let him back in the pasture but 3 weeks later developed a secondary infection. Back to the vet, back to the barn, back to flushing/penicillin. Lucky for me he was super docile! Finally healed and he was good to go.

Latest posts