sore newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
Had a heifer born yesterday morning. Healthy heifer out of a first time heifer, up and nursing. Checked her in the afternoon and she was flat on her side with her mom laying on her back legs. I got her up really quick and the heifer jumped up, so I assumed everything was fine. This morning she acts a little sore, she is kind of hunched up and moves slow. She swivels her back legs when she walks instead of picking them up. She just acts sore and a little "off". I have Banamine and was going to give her a little bit of that to help with possible inflammation. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Update: Actual reason for her being sore, was she had a fever due to a scour infection. Banamine took the fever away and it was back to 102 this evening. Tubed her electrolytes as well as a shot of baytrill and two sulpha pills (scour pills) twice a day. She is still not feeling good this evening, but she has nursed. She is all bedded down for the night inside a barn with mom, so hopefully she stays warm (-20 degrees here) and hopefully a little better by morning.

Sounds like you have it under control. Scours is no fun. I just started using first defense bolus this year, so hoping that will help.
Just remember, that baytril was for her cough and snotty nose

T & B farms said:
Sounds like you have it under control. Scours is no fun. I just started using first defense bolus this year, so hoping that will help.
Just remember, that baytril was for her cough and snotty nose
Yes, we are considering using first defense next year.

You've gotten good advice. A thermometer is your best friend. Good luck with her. Compromised newborns mandate diligent observation/aggressive Rx until they've recovered.