Son's Show Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

tanbarkhill

Reaction score
This is my son's show heifer for this year. She is out of Heat Wave and a Full Flush/Meyer 734 Cow. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

img288.jpg

He looks pretty nice. Seems to have decent bone structure, clean front end, and a level top. I would like to see a bit more muscle in the lower quarter...and another picture. ;-)

I agree. very nice looking heifer. I love the whit on the belly an leg, kind of catches your eye, says "Hey, Look At Me!" I think if she had her back legs switched we could more accurately assess the muscle in the rear. However, would venture a guess concurring with Colorado2008, and say she could use a lil more. Mighty nice looking heifer, would love to have her in my pens.

Ryan

Nice heifer. I think with the Heatwave and Full Flush and based on her look when she hits 800-1,000 lbs she will be a pretty powerful girl. The Heatwave heifers have been doing pretty good in the show ring especially in the commercial/Cross classes. Not sure how good they are doing in the pasture afterwards but people are snatching them up the heifers right along with the steers for showing.

Good luck with her! I would love to see pictures of her as she grows.

Thank you for the nice reviews. She is not well broken yet, as you can tell in the picture. We have only had her a little over a week and she is settling down now after kicking my son in the nose. :shock: Thank goodness it wasn't broken and he was standing at such an angle that that was ALL he got.

tanbarkhill":1iavprwa said:
Thank you for the nice reviews. She is not well broken yet, as you can tell in the picture. We have only had her a little over a week and she is settling down now after kicking my son in the nose. :shock: Thank goodness it wasn't broken and he was standing at such an angle that that was ALL he got.

Glad he was not hurt worse. Them kicks to the face can be deadly or hurt a bunch at the least. Probably that Full Flush blood coming out in her. ;-)

tanbarkhill":jwy42sa5 said:

you've only had her a week and she's standing that well? please tell me your secret. i cant even touch a few that've we've had for months. either im doin something wrong or your that calf is pretty dang calm. nice calf. i really like her. the white really makes her pop out.

cattleluvr18":2op8y7h5 said:
tanbarkhill":2op8y7h5 said:

you've only had her a week and she's standing that well? please tell me your secret. i cant even touch a few that've we've had for months. either im doin something wrong or your that calf is pretty dang calm. nice calf. i really like her. the white really makes her pop out.

Not braging but aside from these new steers we just got, we can have them broke in 5+ days.. I would suggest penning the ones you are talking up in a stall, and taking a week and devote it to them. my sis and i sorta just "be with them" KWIM?
ty them up and just talk to them, stroke them on the nose, then work down the neck. Don't rush things go slow and easy. feed them outta your hand, or other treats, walk in a small round pen after you can walk in the stall, then do fun stuff! walk them around and let them eat good grass outta your hand, Form a relationship with your calves, make them trust you, anf feed then yourself. We have also had a few that you could not catch in the feild but once they got a halter on then the would folow you to the end of the world.how much do they weigh? how old are they? Male or Female??Good luck and keep us updated

Also i have found fliping calves work alot.. don't know what it is but my one of them was a crazy idiot and we were detirmind to break her, and one day she got the halter rope around her neck backwards and she fliped over and was 70% broke after that. It also worked with a 200pd calf i had, wouldn't walk and i fliped him and now he walks almost perfect. And steers are harder to break then hefiers.

tanbarkhill- nice calf, Very pretty!!! my sister loves washing the whiet on a cow!!! i like black, but she is nice i love her neck!! what breed is she? keep us updated with pictures as she grows

She had been tied up some before we brought her home and we started out with her tied down and leading her to water for the first few days. Luckily my son is no feather weight he's 200+ lbs himself so he just lets her kinda bounce around for a few minutes after taking her out of the pen then gets down to business. He feeds her first, leads her around the turn out pasture then back to the barn, either rinses or bathes, brushed/combed, blown dry then feed her hay for the night.
My younger son's steer was wild as a buck when we first brought him home and he is not small (739 tape weight). We started him by brushing/combing everyday while he was tied up. He would leave him tied inside his pen, put his feed in the trough and then lead him to the feed. He is now the calmest of the 3.
Our first show is June 19th.

cow_crazy_101":36jdjhzg said:
Also i have found fliping calves work alot.. don't know what it is but my one of them was a crazy idiot and we were detirmind to break her, and one day she got the halter rope around her neck backwards and she fliped over and was 70% broke after that. It also worked with a 200pd calf i had, wouldn't walk and i fliped him and now he walks almost perfect. And steers are harder to break then hefiers.
I have a friend who uses this method with his younger calves.. he always flips them and then helps him back up. I've never tried it nor have I seen him do it but he says it's worked the best out of any method for him.

Jay

jaydill":na43t343 said:
cow_crazy_101":na43t343 said:
I have a friend who uses this method with his younger calves.. he always flips them and then helps him back up. I've never tried it nor have I seen him do it but he says it's worked the best out of any method for him.

Jay

Because my cattle are usually around 12 months when I begin to break them, theres not much chance of flipping them! But I have done it occassionally with a calf at foot, and last year we broke at 2yr old limo bull by throwing him down using a system of ropes. Worked like magic. (Its also great for goats that challenge you)

lol.. "flipping" sounds rough! My luck I'd do it and break a leg or back! (On the calf, not me)

I still find it easiest to gain their trust.. it takes time and patience, but when you're OLDER, it works best!

Very nice heifer by the way! I LOVE the flashy white on her!

I thought I'd left my tidbit on the heifer but apparently not. I like her a lot and agree with TheBullLady.. I'm lovin the flashy white coloring on her. It catches the eye and should definitely set her apart a little from the other black calves in the ring. Good luck with her and keep us updated!

Jay

jaydill":17qctloc said:
cow_crazy_101":17qctloc said:

Jay

A good trailer ride while tying them somewhat high works pretty good too. They realize rather quickly that the rope is going to hold no matter what.

Hey all you helpful folks!!

I have another question regarding the heifer in the picture. When we bought her she has a fairly good amount of fat around her tailhead. What is the best way to get rid of this fat on her. Exercise? We have reduced her feed to 2% of her body weight and added cotton seed hull to keep her full without adding more fat. Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts