Sometimes they still surprise me.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Had an old cow 17 year old girl was standing at the fence by the house and continuous lowing.
Went out to see what was going on and she started toward the cow pen. Went and got the mule her stupid
calf had trapped itself between the pen and the gate. The gate was chained open and it had got between the pen
and gate. When it would start to back out the chain would hit it in the butt.
Now for something that has a brain the size of a quarter they can do some really stupid and amazing things at times.
The calf didn't surprise me.

Never ceases to amaze the messes they can get into sometimes. Sounds like a smart momma that knew where to go for help.

Yep. They can get into things they can't get out of. I found this one in the chute a couple months ago.

3waycross":38c63dkv said:
Nice bag on that cow!
Now that you mention it she is kinda full. I suspect they were separated for most of a day. I feel I was lucky I saw her up by the cow lot by herself. Had other cows been around I probably wouldn't have noticed.

1982vett":1iyqwu8l said:
3waycross":1iyqwu8l said:
Nice bag on that cow!
Now that you mention it she is kinda full. I suspect they were separated for most of a day. I feel I was lucky I saw her up by the cow lot by herself. Had other cows been around I probably wouldn't have noticed.

I meant GREAT BAG FOR A 17 YEAR OLD COW........and it is.

6_7 year old beefmaster cow. Real smart and a good mama.she livs on a leased property. There's a trap I built, it's about 100x 75 of 6 wire with plenty of stays. In one corner there's a 30x30 pen 5 wire with cedar stays tied right together, round pen style. Any way she has a calf a few weeks old and is finally starting to bring him around the truck. I drive through the trap and catch several head. Get out and pour out cubes. The cows start to eat. I slip a rope on calf snatch into small pen. Close gate and pop a tag in ear. Mom snorted and stomping at the gate. I open the gate and let the calf out. Mom pushes the calf in a corner gets her head under it and THROWS IT over the fence. She says something to it , and it turns and hauls a$$ for the brush. Only saw glimpses of those two for about two weeks.

There was a video floating around on facebook of a couple guys trying to tag a calf.. Momma on one side of the tree absolutely FURIOUS, Calf on momma's side of the tree with a rope around it's neck, and the cowboy ducking from side to side.. it was quite a show

Nesikep":b1co2kiu said:
There was a video floating around on facebook of a couple guys trying to tag a calf.. Momma on one side of the tree absolutely FURIOUS, Calf on momma's side of the tree with a rope around it's neck, and the cowboy ducking from side to side.. it was quite a show
Oh Lordy!! I remember them 'tree' days. When I was a youngun, everything we did to and with a cow or calf involved snubbin 'em off to a tree. Branding, castrating, drenching and dehorning all done with them snubbed off to a big tree back in the mid to late 60s before we built our first trap and pen. Dang lucky none of us got killed. I don't miss that at all. :(

greybeard":71861s6k said:
Nesikep":71861s6k said:
Oh Lordy!! I remember them 'tree' days. When I was a youngun, everything we did to and with a cow or calf involved snubbin 'em off to a tree. Branding, castrating, drenching and dehorning all done with them snubbed off to a big tree back in the mid to late 60s before we built our first trap and pen. Dang lucky none of us got killed. I don't miss that at all. :(

Me either I guess we were slow learners before we moved towards
safe cattle facilities.
I wore out a set of chains pulling calves out the first Char bull I ever seen.
Have no clue how many I snubbed to a tree. I always thought there has to be
a better way than this.

QUOTE. Cb
Did I read that right... ;-)

We have a pretty good set up at home. But we have some lease property s were we still do things the old way. Most of it involves trickery. Not to much wild west kinda stuff. It's usually not a big deal if you think through it . ....I'll tell ya what though, never used chains on my bull ;-) :cboy:

fenceman":23kogryj said:
QUOTE. Cb
Did I read that right... ;-)

We have a pretty good set up at home. But we have some lease property s were we still do things the old way. Most of it involves trickery. Not to much wild west kinda stuff. It's usually not a big deal if you think through it . ....I'll tell ya what though, never used chains on my bull ;-) :cboy:

Yea you read it right and till the day I die there will never be a Char bull here.
When they first got popular they wrecked many a cow herd.
This was before epds burnt child is scared of fire. This child got burned.

Latest posts