December surprise calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
So we had a surprise this December 7th. One of our cows dropped this bull calf on the ground. It surprised us due to the fact this cow lost her calf last February 6th 2021 during that nasty severe cold snap we had. We were out feeding cows and she had after birth hanging frozen to her. Never found the calf and it was about a month early. All the other cows dropped calves in march. Fast forward to doing vacs and preg checks this november and doc said she had a huge calf but didn't put 2 and 2 together. Three weeks later we had this guy on the ground. We named him Arizona lets see if anyone can get the meaning of his name.

Attachments

• 20211212_111730.jpg
    20211212_111730.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20211212_111739.jpg
    20211212_111739.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
So, we had a surprise this December 7th. We named him Arizona let's see if anyone can get the meaning of his name.
hmm... Kansas in December is as dry as an Arizona dessert?
Oh Dec 7th... Pearl Harbor, after the battleship the USS Arizona, a different kind of surprise.

A friend once had a surprise heifer calf born in the middle of a snowstorm and said his granddaughter could name her. Grandma was trying to lead her to name the calf suggesting Blizzard, or Frosty or Stormy, something related to the snowstorm. But the little girl said, No Grandma, her name is Summer, cause I Hate Winter. :)

Last edited:
hmm... Kansas in December is as dry as an Arizona dessert?
Oh Dec 7th... Pearl Harbor, after the battleship the USS Arizona, a different kind of surprise.

A friend once had a surprise heifer calf born in the middle of a snowstorm and said his granddaughter could name her. Grandma was trying to lead her to name the calf suggesting Blizzard, or Frosty or Stormy, something related to the snowstorm. But the little girl said, No Grandma, her name is Summer, cause I Hate Winter. :)
Yep Arizona after the battleship if it had been a heifer it was going to be named Pearl.

That would require snow or any type of moisture. Other than the 10 minute burst we had on the 15th from the wind storm we have not had rain in my part of ks since October
I just noticed that you are in Kansas. My son is in Iola Kansas; my ex had family there, so that is where she took after we split up. I guess you don't get much snow there. I always thought Wyoming had the market on wind, but It never stop blowing when I went up to Iola for his graduation. I was kind of surprised on how many trees there was around there; I had expected it to flat like western Kansas.

Latest posts