Someone Asked About Nutsedge, Nutgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
awhile back.

There are three product named herbicides for nutsedge control in many states currently.

Works on both Purple and Yellow nutsedge.

1-"Manage" for golf courses and landscaping. Very high priced.

2-"Sandea" for vegetables and cucurbits (watermelons-cucumbers-etc.) More reasonably priced.

3- "Permit" for corn, beans, grain sorghum, etc. The least expensive of all the products for large acreages.

All work very well and it only takes 1-2 ozs. per acre.

Note* All of the above brand names are the same chemical...Halosulfuron methyl...

Another product name called "Yukon" has been applied for using this chemical.

You may add these to the list from Mike. Outrider $15.60 an ounce and Mavrick $16.60 ounce. Each one will be in a 20 ounce bottle. It will take about three weeks to see results after applying the herbicides.

hurleyjd":10awi7ki said:
You may add these to the list from Mike. Outrider $15.60 an ounce and Mavrick $16.60 ounce. Each one will be in a 20 ounce bottle. It will take about three weeks to see results after applying the herbicides.

??????????????????????????????

Took a quick look. I don't see "Nutsedge" on either one of those labels.

MikeC":co3y63c5 said:
hurleyjd":co3y63c5 said:

They were approved in Texas in 2006 for use in bermuda pastures. Amazing that all of the ones mentioned have the same chemical to kill the nutgrass. So why would some be okay for one crop and not another.

hurleyjd":3vwlff0h said:
MikeC":3vwlff0h said:
hurleyjd":3vwlff0h said:

They were approved in Texas in 2006 for use in bermuda pastures. Amazing that all of the ones mentioned have the same chemical to kill the nutgrass. So why would some be okay for one crop and not another.

It shows the crookedness of the marketing schemes by the herbicide producers. The first one is packaged in small packages. The second one is larger, and the third even larger for big acreages.

I think the Maverick and Lariat is mainly for Johnsongrass control in bermuda?

Maverick was recommended last year by the Overton experminent station here in Texas. I did not get it used last year but did about 6 days ago. The nutgrass is beginning to yellow. The twenty ounces cost me $350. I have found it cheaper but by not much though this year. I am useing it on a second year crop of tifton 85. Each and all of the herbicides listed shows 75% of the main ingriedent . Halosulfuron methyl... at 75%

CADRE works well in Tifton 85, same exact product as Plateau was, works very well as a pre-emergent when transplanting,costs alot too.

Latest posts