Some What New

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Well Hello All,
Just wanted to formally introduce myself. See, I read and reread posts to this board every night after work. I try to absorb all the great knowledge posted here. I have been able to put my two cents in once or twice. My husband and I have a small piece of property and a small herd (about 7 females at the moment). We only AI. Didn't want the hassle that comes with a bull. We have never before owned cattle and only started "cows" 2 yrs ago. Before that, the largest animal we owned (still have him) was a Rottweiler. Anyway, hello and thank you all.

D

... did you get your AI training in central florida?? my friends and i want to go to the Okeechobee training if possible....

what breed of cows do you have???

We went through Select Sires. The class was held at North Florida Holsteins in Bell, FL. It was about 40 mins north of Gainesville. Select Sires put on a great class, very informative. Good Luck! Bring a couple change of clothes with you and wear shoes/boots that you can disinfect every day with a very strong bleach water solution before stepping foot on your property. Oh and we have reg. black angus.
D

Hey Countrygirl, I followed your advice on the clothes and boots.

I went one further, I bought some disposable coveralls,(same as the SS rep wore) it was the best $3.50 I have spent. Some of the men thought it was over kill until the first guy up got a face full and all down his shirt and he had to wear the same clothes all day and a 2 hour drive home.

I hope to AI my first in the next few months, I have 3 due in Dec, Jan and plan to GO FOR IT then. Select Sires is a top notch Company in my book, very customer oriented, They don't make much on the school, but its a place to develop new customers.

Our class was 3 days long. The first day, 2 hrs into it, we were submerged. Must say they have you dive right in. Our cost was $350 per person. I believe worth every penny. We have 4 due Feb 27. They will be our first group in 2006. C Holland, see if any neighbors will allow you to AI their cattle. Just ask them to buy the straw and this allows you to keep the "feel". The neighbor could get lucky with a calf from a superior bull.

Latest posts