Some pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
This is a Woodhill Foresight bull calf. We really like him, though I'm a bit concerned about his sheath. He has so much hair now that it's hard to decide. But we bred his dam and another Right Time cow to Foresight for next year.

Apr2008001.jpg

Our first TC Foreman cow in production. Hopefully she's also bred to Foresight.

Apr2008004-1.jpg

And a couple of calves. The front one is my 036 heifer with the Foresight bull behind her. Her tatto number will be 863, not 763. :oops:

Apr2008002.jpg

You can see what we put on our ear tags, DOB, sire (FSGT), then their tattoo #, which will be the year they're born and the dam's herd number. In this case, his dam's number is 39.

And my Easter Bunny attack dog, resting up for the next rabbit race:

Apr2008003.jpg

those are some nice pics.your cattle look real good.like you i dont know about that bulls sheath.it looks a tad long or off center.i reallt cant put my finger on whats wrong.an because of that i dont know if id keep him or not.

Words to live by! Words to buy - by! NEVER, NEVER buy a bull ( or cow for that matter) by making your final decision on a picture ALONE!!

DOC HARRIS

T-Bro":167430z2 said:
I don't think he'd let you put your finger on it. :lol2:
:p it looks a little loose for a angus.. would'nt be a problem for me but, then im breeding toward brangus. even the calfs ears look a little brangusy

whatsupdoc3":38vpqul7 said:
3 ton of lime to the acre might help that grass.

Can you also "eyeball" other soil deficiencies? You can save me alot on laboratory cost!

whatsupdoc3":3h8n958s said:
KNERSIE":3h8n958s said:
whatsupdoc3":3h8n958s said:

Can you also "eyeball" other soil deficiencies? You can save me alot on laboratory cost!

Here in the U.S. ANY TIME YOU SEE SAGE GRASS THERE IS A LIME DEFICENCY for the most part. One would think with the high dollar cows and cab premiums lime would be no problem. The bull has a pretty good rear on him but it appears there might be something in the wood pile. From the looks of his sheath! :idea:

May be the way the cow is standing but she dont have the best top line based on the picture.
yeah shege is a pretty good indicator of acidic soil,im sure 3tons would help but a soil sample might save you some money if it required less

whatsupdoc3":jkri2imz said:
KNERSIE":jkri2imz said:
whatsupdoc3":jkri2imz said:

Here in the U.S. ANY TIME YOU SEE SAGE GRASS THERE IS A LIME DEFICENCY for the most part. One would think with the high dollar cows and cab premiums lime would be no problem. The bull has a pretty good rear on him but it appears there might be something in the wood pile. From the looks of his sheath! :idea:

May be the way the cow is standing but she dont have the best top line based on the picture.

:lol: So which is it? "Any time" or "for the most part"? :lol:

Our red clay soils are acidic, but the native grasses have adapted well and don't respond enough to make it cost effective. Besides, getting a truck into that pasture would be interesting. Angus cattle thrive on rough pastures and native grasses, unlike some of the larger, more fragile breeds. :D

whatsupdoc3":2akernoy said:
Here in the U.S. ANY TIME YOU SEE SAGE GRASS THERE IS A LIME DEFICENCY for the most part.

Then why does a field with a ph of 6.2 that is low in potash grow so much sedge?

whatsupdoc3":1yf5ke4z said:
ALACOWMAN

yeah shege is a pretty good indicator of acidic soil,im sure 3tons would help but a soil sample might save you some money if it required less

From my experience any time you see sage like in the pictures, I have never seen a test come back and recommend any less than 3 ton to the acre. Never have seen any shege.[/quote]......... sure you've seen it you just did'nt know how to pronounce.

whatsupdoc3":3u7cmxnh said:

Our red clay soils are acidic, but the native grasses have adapted well and don't respond enough to make it cost effective. Besides, getting a truck into that pasture would be interesting. Angus cattle thrive on rough pastures and native grasses, unlike some of the larger, more fragile breeds. :D
[/quote]

frankie

Dang frankie Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and most southern states are red clay. I have only seen sage on lime deficient pastures.

Them fragile breeds can convert rocks to meat. By the way seen where jogee posted that black is on the ropes and the
  • industry is going away from the black stuff.
:oops:[/quote] i hope for your sake it doe's..then maybe you can rant about something new ,cause this sht growin' moss on it

ALACOWMAN":3vgiipk5 said:
whatsupdoc3":3vgiipk5 said:
ALACOWMAN

From my experience any time you see sage like in the pictures, I have never seen a test come back and recommend any less than 3 ton to the acre. Never have seen any shege.
......... sure you've seen it you just did'nt know how to pronounce.[/quote]

I believe that the word we are all thinking about is "sedge" - pronounced "sej" - as in "hedge", and refers to a family of grass-like, monocotyledonous plants, including papyrus. Now - we can concentrate on being sarcastic about something else of greater import.

DOC HARRIS

wud3 It's a good thing diesel is over $4.00 a gallon and I don't know where you live.

Our red clay soils are acidic, but the native grasses have adapted well and don't respond enough to make it cost effective. Besides, getting a truck into that pasture would be interesting. Angus cattle thrive on rough pastures and native grasses, unlike some of the larger, more fragile breeds. :D[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankie at the risk of having you and all the other Angus people unload on me, it seems like you are just asking for a fight when you make statements like that. There are individuals and entire herds of different breeds in this country who thrive on rough pastures and native grasses. No wonder it's always a fight on here over breeds.

Say what you want, Black Angus are great browser, weeds , most grasses, honeysuckle, tree leaves, hell bark off fruit trees..I have see my wear out sedge when it is young and tender.

Sure are lot of agronomic geniuses on this board. Astounding. Maybe some of you can get work in China. Won't need to leave home, just get a description through cyberspace and send back the prescription.

Frankie,
I like your young bull. He is really thick through the girth and flank. He looks like he will be a tank. Show us more pictures as he grows. His sheath looks like hair to me. When you measure him the next time, I bet a pair of scissors will find most of that gone.

No one has mentioned that the sedge grass is also in the same family of bluestem grass. :D
Chuckie

Chuckie":30q9kxnx said:
Frankie,
I like your young bull. He is really thick through the girth and flank. He looks like he will be a tank. Show us more pictures as he grows. His sheath looks like hair to me. When you measure him the next time, I bet a pair of scissors will find most of that gone.

• No one has mentioned that the sedge grass is also in the same family of bluestem grass.
:D
Chuckie
don't give em any more idea's. its already been sidetracked enough :p

Latest posts