Some pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
It rained again here, so we can't combine but since it's dreary and cold out I thought I would share some pictures from the past few weeks.

IMG_2719sm_zps84hhqud0.jpg

A 2nd calver that is doing a really good job with her steer calf. Cow is Gelbvieh x Shorthorn, calf is SimAngus

IMG_2602sm_zpsf69k2kjo.jpg

limo x cow with a sim/angus sired steer calf

IMG_2646sm_zpsfzrkls7r.jpg

sold both these guys last Thursday. One on the left is a 6 yr old SimAngus, one on the right is a 3 yr old Red Angus.
Total cheque for the 2 of them was just about $5500 so can't complain about that :) The big guy weighed a hair over 2400 lbs and the 'little' guy was 2100.

IMG_2725sm_zpstlmzytt6.jpg

This group of calves is particularly nosey. Purebred RA heifer calves

IMG_2778sm_zpswhsi69gg.jpg

these girls are getting a little on the fat side right now - 5 yr old RA cow

IMG_2786sm_zpsoylnelqo.jpg

6 yr old RA cow

IMG_2792sm_zpss6nktdiy.jpg

another 6 yr old RA cow

IMG_2753sm_zpsivfmkgaj.jpg

5 yr old RA cow with heifer calf

IMG_2715sm_zpsnf51svhz.jpg

Another fatty on a different pasture - not only is the cow fat, but her steer is getting kinda fat too. 5 yr old cow

IMG_2852sm_zpsz0kdqwk5.jpg

4 yr old BA cow

IMG_2843sm_zpsz6apwiyf.jpg

17 yr old BA cow with her heifer calf.

IMG_2743sm_zpschzwsjc8.jpg

RA heifer calf that is one of my faves this year

Wow some really nice pictures. Sure wish we could get our cows that fat sometimes. Just to have that extra going into the winter. They look real good and look like they milk really good too.

Really like the reds, but we take a real licking here with them. Going to the market today in a little while to see how things look. Have been reading some other posts and we may hold a bunch of ours til after the first of the year too, will have to sell some before to make a couple of payments, but will try to hold a bit and see how things do. Don't expect that it will get much better for a couple of years.

Thanks. We have a lot of easy keepers. They haven't seen any grain (not even as a treat) since they've been out on pasture (mid-end of May for most of them). Those red girls above are on 2nd growth hay (alfalfa, with mostly smooth brome & meadow brome grass). There could be a lot more cows up there than there is right now...

Reds do good here. Especially the heifers. The last couple years everybody wants red or tan replacement heifers. For selling calves tans tend to do the best, good reds are pretty close behind them. Went to a sale yesterday - was mostly yearlings and slaughter cows/bulls. Sold most of the feeders that we bought last Nov/Dec. They were a mix of just about everything. Paid probably an average of $800-$900/hd for them. Got an average of $1500 for steers and $1300 for heifers. So did alright on them. But then we aren't buying the cream of the crop feeders. Mostly scrubs & flyweights. Things that most guys don't want to take a chance on. Had 2 nice Hereford heifers in the group that were really as good as anything else we took but were sorted out and 10 cents knocked off. Wasn't much for calves selling yesterday (only about 30 total). Last week we watched part of their Fall Forward calf sale (a video sale). best price I saw was for a group of 82 tan steers - avg 720 lbs for 1.82. Most worked out to around $1100-1200. Black heifers were about 10 cents behind the tans/reds. This sale has always favored tans, but it sure is noticeable in this market. We left when they were about half done - not very exciting when there isn't any animals going through the ring, just a video and description. We are selling calves November 7th. We'll see what happens!

WalnutCrest":3rs9kw5t said:
creekdrive":3rs9kw5t said:
WalnutCrest":3rs9kw5t said:
Excellent stock, sir.

I'm a 'she' - but thanks WalnutCrest!

Where's a rock I can go hide under?

... I knew that. Sorry, ma'am! Nice stock.

:tiphat:

I think I just about prefer sir to ma'am haha. I've not even 30 yet I can't possibly be a ma'am ;-) :lol:

creekdrive":2p0i075c said:
WalnutCrest":2p0i075c said:
creekdrive":2p0i075c said:
I'm a 'she' - but thanks WalnutCrest!

Where's a rock I can go hide under?

... I knew that. Sorry, ma'am! Nice stock.

:tiphat:

I think I just about prefer sir to ma'am haha. I've not even 30 yet I can't possibly be a ma'am ;-) :lol:

:D

That 17 yr old's heifer calf would be my first pick for replacement

Lazy M":2uce316d said:
That 17 yr old's heifer calf would be my first pick for replacement

She's been on the keeper list from the minute she hit the ground. That one's not going anywhere!

Starting to look like fall here:
IMG_2875sm_zpsjthwdgnh.jpg

IMG_3000sm-2_zpspvlgciiw.jpg

IMG_3004sm_zpssqg19i2s.jpg

IMG_3008sm_zps6awzs9bd.jpg

Have had a few hard frosts the past week or so. Soon the leaves will all be gone and everything will be brown....then white. :lol:

creekdrive":1trbxs0q said:
Thanks. We have a lot of easy keepers. They haven't seen any grain (not even as a treat) since they've been out on pasture (mid-end of May for most of them). Those red girls above are on 2nd growth hay (alfalfa, with mostly smooth brome & meadow brome grass). There could be a lot more cows up there than there is right now...

Reds do good here. Especially the heifers. The last couple years everybody wants red or tan replacement heifers. For selling calves tans tend to do the best, good reds are pretty close behind them. Went to a sale yesterday - was mostly yearlings and slaughter cows/bulls. Sold most of the feeders that we bought last Nov/Dec. They were a mix of just about everything. Paid probably an average of $800-$900/hd for them. Got an average of $1500 for steers and $1300 for heifers. So did alright on them. But then we aren't buying the cream of the crop feeders. Mostly scrubs & flyweights. Things that most guys don't want to take a chance on. Had 2 nice Hereford heifers in the group that were really as good as anything else we took but were sorted out and 10 cents knocked off. Wasn't much for calves selling yesterday (only about 30 total). Last week we watched part of their Fall Forward calf sale (a video sale). [*]best price I saw was for a group of 82 tan steers - avg 720 lbs for 1.82. Most worked out to around $1100-1200. Black heifers were about 10 cents behind the tans/reds. This sale has always favored tans, but it sure is noticeable in this market. We left when they were about half done - not very exciting when there isn't any animals going through the ring, just a video and description. We are selling calves November 7th. We'll see what happens!

Great pics of nice cattle!!!! Like always :D

Is there something I'm missing in that price?

RiverHills":3mwp55bj said:
creekdrive":3mwp55bj said:

Reds do good here. Especially the heifers. The last couple years everybody wants red or tan replacement heifers. For selling calves tans tend to do the best, good reds are pretty close behind them. Went to a sale yesterday - was mostly yearlings and slaughter cows/bulls. Sold most of the feeders that we bought last Nov/Dec. They were a mix of just about everything. Paid probably an average of $800-$900/hd for them. Got an average of $1500 for steers and $1300 for heifers. So did alright on them. But then we aren't buying the cream of the crop feeders. Mostly scrubs & flyweights. Things that most guys don't want to take a chance on. Had 2 nice Hereford heifers in the group that were really as good as anything else we took but were sorted out and 10 cents knocked off. Wasn't much for calves selling yesterday (only about 30 total). Last week we watched part of their Fall Forward calf sale (a video sale). [*]best price I saw was for a group of 82 tan steers - avg 720 lbs for 1.82. Most worked out to around $1100-1200. Black heifers were about 10 cents behind the tans/reds. This sale has always favored tans, but it sure is noticeable in this market. We left when they were about half done - not very exciting when there isn't any animals going through the ring, just a video and description. We are selling calves November 7th. We'll see what happens!

Great pics of nice cattle!!!! Like always :D

Is there something I'm missing in that price?

RH, that converts to approx. 1.38 USD I believe

Awesome pictures Creek! Some very nice girls you have!

Any method behind the tagging? Some left eared, some right eared?

yes talltimber is right - those prices were in CDN $$$ I meant to put that when I wrote it and then forgot. Oops

USAxBrad":3leqcy4s said:
Awesome pictures Creek! Some very nice girls you have!

Any method behind the tagging? Some left eared, some right eared?
Thanks!
There is somewhat of a method....any that are registered have to be tagged in the left ear (tattoo in the right). The last couple of years we have been trying to do all the purebreds (even if they aren't papered) in the left ear and commercials in the right ear. Colour of the tag is who owns them within the family. Green is ours, yellow is the grandparents (just to confuse things - quite a few of ours that were bought from them still have their yellow tag), blue is the father in law, and orange is anyone else (my younger brother in laws both have some cows they keep out here in exchange for some work).