Some pictures from today - waterer & transition corn grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I was checking on my cattle today for the first time in about 2 weeks. A good neighbor watches them from the road for me when I'm not here but I don't expect him to do anything as long as everything looks ok. I guess you could call this the lazyman's way of wintering cattle.

It was about 6 degrees F (-14 C) late this afternoon and checked the Petersen waterer. The water temp was right about 50 degrees F (+10 deg C) where I want it. The cattle do drip some water as they lift and turn their heads which leads to the ice build up. The calf side (near side) looks a bit sloppier than the cow side.

In the summer I usually poke the plug out, drain and scrub brush it about once every 2 or 3 weeks. When its this cold though it just builds up more ice so I just wait for an ice melt. Seems like it may be a long wait this winter again. Actually I like it cold and frozen solid like this better than muddy. Been getting an inch or two of snow every other day or so.

The cattle have finished about all of the ears in the section I opened to them about 2 weeks ago. They are still hoping to find an ear under the snow but are starting to resign themselves to eating the upper stalks and husks. I think this section is just about 1/2 grazed as shown. Should be good for another 2 weeks or so.

I decided against putting the steers in the corn just yet. This corn is saving a lot of hay for the cows. Calves look like they are gaining well on hay - I'm going to run the calves across the scales tomorrow and will see for sure how they are gaining. Their winter coats may make them look heavier than they are.

It is amazing how warm and comfortable they all appear. I can see the spots in the draw in the woods where they go to get out of the wind. Nice and cozy.

Here are some pictures from late this afternoon. The flash from my pocket camera doesn't reach out far enough so I went no flash but fuzzy. Jim

Petersen Waterer
IMG_2585_PetersenWater6degF010110.jpg

Bred heifer eating upper stalk
IMG_2589_Grazingcorntransitiontoupp.jpg

Some cows still looking for ears under the snow
IMG_2594_Grazingcornstilllookingfor.jpg

My bull T-21 resigns to eating some husks from the outside row. There is a single hot wire separating them from the hay bales in the background
IMG_2601_Grazingcorntransitiontoeat.jpg

beefy08":3emw76lb said:
That system seems to be working really well for you. Nice pics too.

This system is a work in progress. In this cold weather (low tonight supposed to be about -15 to -20 deg F (-26 to -29 deg C) in Wisconsin and that is not wind chill - that is the actual temperature) I want to make sure they have plenty to eat. I put out some good hay for them today in addition to the stalks left. Thank you for the kind words.

Jim

jedstivers":3i0f1gmj said:
Jim, I sure wish we were closer. I'd love to see your place, it looks to be about as neat as mine is sloppy :lol:

Jed, See that's one of the benefits to living so close to the north pole!

Everything is frozen as hard as concrete (-15 to -20F tonight) so we don't have the mud/slop and every couple days we get a couple inches of new snow to cover up all the snit...! Everything looks nice and neat - until the spring thaw!

Cattle seem very comfortable though. I was walking among them this afternoon and noticed how good and thick and smooth their coats were looking this year. Not shaggy but nice and thick. I don't know if the corn contributes to that but they have really nice winter coats and keep them clean for the most part. Except for the first couple days in a new corn front!

Fortunately not much wind tonight.

Have a good New Year - Jim

I was thinking that harvesting the corn then the fodder would be far more economical and it would have provided more useable feed. Are there no custom harvestors in your area?

hobbyboy":396susqt said:
I was thinking that harvesting the corn then the fodder would be far more economical and it would have provided more useable feed. Are there no custom harvestors in your area?

There is no short answer to your question so I will just say:

1) In my situation (hire combining, hauling, & drying) I used to harvest the corn then graze the stalks. Then go purchase a lot of expensive hay. By the time I pay someone to combine high moisture corn, pay someone to haul it and then pay to dry it and then use the cash, if any, to go buy good hay, grazing corn is clearly most profitable use of my corn.

The cattle are then nice enough to fairly uniformly distribute their manure and urine where I will be strip tilling corn in the spring greatly reducing the amount of fertilizer required to grow next year's winter corn without hauling a lot of manure back and forth.

2) I raise continuous corn on corn in a very economical way. I like to raise corn and on my place can grow very good corn fairly economically. For several reasons I raise no hay myself all hay is purchased.

3) With newer corn varieties bred to stand well even in high winds with heavy high yielding ears, newer hybrid stalks are tougher than they used to be. Many combines use more aggressive stalk rolls. If you try to graze most combined stalks these days there is just not much useful, paletable feed there. And what is there is much tougher than it was years ago. Why do you think folks are having to soak baled cornstalks with sweet liquid feed or molasses to get the cattle to even eat bales stalks these days?

3) My market is freezer beef. While I have had some good grassfed steers, I still personally prefer to eat beef with at least some corn finish. I like to sell what I like to eat. If I manage the corn right I am planning on harvesting some steers and processing directly off of corn in early March. They will be only about 12 months old and maybe 1000-1050 lb but there is a good market for beef in the spring for grilling into early summer/July 4th.

Most folks harvest their beef in the fall, I want to be counter to the majority of the freezer beef sales. Grazing corn lets me do that with very little work, machinery and moving stuff around.

Grazing unharvested corn provides a lot of high quality feed held high above the snow at a time of year when feed is hard to come by and expensive. I am not around my herd all the time so grazing corn is a way of providing high feed density for a calculated amount of time. I move the wire once a week or every two or three weeks, depending on my day job schedule.

That's a longer answer than I intended but gives you an over view of my system which does look strange to many corn farmers. When you work the numbers though it has a lot of benefits.

Jim

Even with the costs associated with harvesting, I can't help but think 11,000 pounds of corn and 6,000 pounds of fodder would convert better to pounds of beef. Maybe I'm all wrong, I'm new to this most of what I have learned is from the seed and feed store. I know according to them 17,000 pounds should convert to 2656 pounds of beef. I'm not understanding how grazing that same acre starting after crop maturity until replant will produce that many pounds of beef maybe it would.

hobbyboy":alyq47ce said:
Even with the costs associated with harvesting, I can't help but think 11,000 pounds of corn and 6,000 pounds of fodder would convert better to pounds of beef. Maybe I'm all wrong, I'm new to this most of what I have learned is from the seed and feed store. I know according to them 17,000 pounds should convert to 2656 pounds of beef. I'm not understanding how grazing that same acre starting after crop maturity until replant will produce that many pounds of beef maybe it would.

I don't know about your numbers but what the feed store is not telling you about is the net dollars involved. Do you have any idea of the dollars in equipment, and drying and hauling costs involved with harvesting corn? And then the cost of purchasing an equivalent number of cow-days of quality hay?

Good luck.

Jim

SRBeef":39dbm1kg said:
I don't know about your numbers but what the feed store is not telling you about is the net dollars involved. Do you have any idea of the dollars in equipment, and drying and hauling costs involved with harvesting corn? And then the cost of purchasing an equivalent number of cow-days of quality hay?

Good luck.

Jim
I asked them how much it would cost to harvest and haul the corn they said the state average for Iowa was $39.20 per acre. I thought that sounded reasonable. Most of the 98RM corn they told me was in the 16 to 17 range for moisture. Maybe these guys are full of BS, I'm just not sure they seem to be very knowledgable.

hobbyboy":l5nhzdv6 said:
SRBeef":l5nhzdv6 said:

Good luck.

Jim
I asked them how much it would cost to harvest and haul the corn they said the state average for Iowa was $39.20 per acre. I thought that sounded reasonable. Most of the 98RM corn they told me was in the 16 to 17 range for moisture. Maybe these guys are full of BS, I'm just not sure they seem to be very knowledgable.

That 39.20 seems a bit low but may be in the ball park IF you already own a $200,000+ combine and a $80,000+ truck and it definitely does not include maybe almost $1 per bu to dry this years wet corn. Nor the tractors, fuel and manhours to move all this stuff around. Try it their way. Good luck.

Jim

SRBeef":ridiat3d said:
hobbyboy":ridiat3d said:
SRBeef":ridiat3d said:

Good luck.

Jim

That 39.20 seems a bit low but may be in the ball park IF you already own a $200,000+ combine and a $80,000+ truck and it definitely does not include maybe almost $1 per bu to dry this years wet corn. Nor the tractors, fuel and manhours to move all this stuff around. Try it their way. Good luck.

Jim
Jim

I don't need to own any equipment that was the price charged by the custom harvestors to harvest and haul the corn. I'm not exactly sure but 16 to 17 doesn't sound terribly wet, but again forgive me I' new to this.

If you can find someone to harvest, haul and dry 30%+ moisture corn (as much of it is this year) for $39. an acre you let me know because I want to hire him. Just the idea of harvesting hauling and drying 10 acres of 180-200 bu 30% corn for $390 is rediculous. No, actually asinine. You can't transport the equipment to the field for $390!

I'm not sure where you are or where your going but you obviously are going to believe what they are telling you so go ahead and try it. First off, there is no time element in anything you are describing above. It sounds so easy. If it's this easy why isn't every one doing the same thing and getting rich? Again, good luck.

Over and out.

Jim

SRBeef":218coje7 said:
If you can find someone to harvest, haul and dry 30%+ moisture corn (as much of it is this year) for $39. an acre you let me know because I want to hire him. Just the idea of harvesting hauling and drying 10 acres of 180-200 bu 30% corn for $390 is rediculous. No, actually asinine. You can't transport the equipment to the field for $390!

I'm not sure where you are or where your going but you obviously are going to believe what they are telling you so go ahead and try it. First off, there is no time element in anything you are describing above. It sounds so easy. If it's this easy why isn't every one doing the same thing and getting rich? Again, good luck.

Over and out.

Jim

I'm wondering why anyone would be harvesting 30% moisture corn? Even with my limited knowledge that seems very wet. The seed and feed house told me that most 98RM corn was coming out of the field around 17 and 18 for moisture. As far as 10 acres for $390 you are probably right these operators deal with large acres. They would probably laugh at me for even asking 10 acres.

They provided me a website showing the costs for most types of custom farming I'm just trying to find that paper now. They said most custom harvestors in the area charge the whatever the average is.

hobbyboy":2h9h5cmt said:
SRBeef":2h9h5cmt said:

Good luck.

Jim
If you can get it cut and hauled for 39.20 plant all the acres you can. As far as moisture go to agonline an ask those guys how much 17 & 18% corn they harvested this year.

jedstivers":ce4djeob said:
If you can get it cut and hauled for 39.20 plant all the acres you can. As far as moisture go to agonline an ask those guys how much 17 & 18% corn they harvested this year.
I am just telling you what the going rate in the area is to have corn harvested and hauled. I don't set the prices I will however be paying them. I tried to yahoo agonline this is what I get. I am unable to locate a question and answer section similiar to this one could you paste the proper link? Also I have never heard the word CUT when discussing the harvesting of shell corn, is this new lingo? Or something so old it has already passed me by?

http://agonline.com/agonline/default.asp

hobbyboy":80rg7wuo said:
I'm wondering why anyone would be harvesting 30% moisture corn? Even with my limited knowledge that seems very wet.

It is very wet, but sometimes that's the only choice unless you leave it in the field. Can't speak for Iowa, but around here we had a very wet and cool growing season, which doesn't allow the grain to dry down like it should. Worse yet, it got even wetter and cooler after the corn had matured and harvest was supposed to start. There was a lot of corn still in the fields into December, which is almost unheard of, and it was sitting there at 25-35% with no chance of it drying down anymore. They were left with the choice of getting it out and paying for drying it or plowing it under in the spring and starting over. The good news is the yields were good, but it's gonna cost a ton to get it dried.

As for the $39 for custom harvesting, that seems to be right in the ball park. I called a buddy of mine that farms 2800 acres and does a lot of custom work. For corn, he said he charges 41.50 an acre for combining and hauling anywhere within a 10 mile radius. Drying not included. You pay for that yourself. Anything under 200 acres or so he charges more, unless his equipment happens to be close by when its ready.

VanC":1p72177m said:
hobbyboy":1p72177m said:
I'm wondering why anyone would be harvesting 30% moisture corn? Even with my limited knowledge that seems very wet.

It is very wet, but sometimes that's the only choice unless you leave it in the field. Can't speak for Iowa, but around here we had a very wet and cool growing season, which doesn't allow the grain to dry down like it should. Worse yet, it got even wetter and cooler after the corn had matured and harvest was supposed to start. There was a lot of corn still in the fields into December, which is almost unheard of, and it was sitting there at 25-35% with no chance of it drying down anymore. They were left with the choice of getting it out and paying for drying it or plowing it under in the spring and starting over. The good news is the yields were good, but it's gonna cost a ton to get it dried.

As for the $39 for custom harvesting, that seems to be right in the ball park. I called a buddy of mine that farms 2800 acres and does a lot of custom work. For corn, he said he charges 41.50 an acre for combining and hauling anywhere within a 10 mile radius. Drying not included. You pay for that yourself. Anything under 200 acres or so he charges more, unless his equipment happens to be close by when its ready.
Just wondering what RM was this 25 to 35 corn and what was the planting date?

It would seem insane to have planted anything over 100 RM after Cinco De Mayo? I'm wondering if they brought this wet corn onto themselves as a result of poor management.

hobbyboy":3e9ssqa7 said:
VanC":3e9ssqa7 said:
hobbyboy":3e9ssqa7 said:

Just wondering what RM was this 25 to 35 corn and what was the planting date?

It would seem insane to have planted anything over 100 RM after Cinco De Mayo? I'm wondering if they brought this wet corn onto themselves as a result of poor management.

I have no idea what the RM was, but it was a wet spring and most of it went into the ground late. I'm sure most of them planted faster maturing varieties. They know what they're doing. It was by far the worst growing season in my lifetime. Who could predict that? Just like with cattle or any other type of agriculture there are good times and bad. The ones that know what they're doing will make it through.

Latest posts