Some photos of our triplet calves

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
I hope I've finally worked out how to post some photos and so here goes.....
the_triplets.jpg

cow_triplets6.jpg
cow_triplets3.jpg

cow_triplets7.jpg

I think this is the best photo of them - they are a few weeks old here.
jess_n_triplets2.jpg

I've never seen triplets. Seen a two headed calf but never triplets. Impressive to say the least. I'm not one to creep feed or supplement but that girl sure has earned a little extra. You might even consider selling post cards of that first photo as they might fetch you more money than the actual calves. Nice photos. :tiphat: BTW, how bout posting the total weaning weight of the calves when the time comes. This would be interesting. Had twins last year and I pulled off 960 some odd pounds off the girl and she bred back.

Are they albino? How old are they now? Im wondering cause the grass isn't green but the sky is blue and the trees seem to be green....................

The last pic is very sweet too but I agree....the first one is postcard perfect! :clap:

Oh my goodness. They are so cute. I agree that first one is postcard worthy. :clap: :tiphat: to the momma.

Onthebit":gcaan25z said:
Are they albino? How old are they now? Im wondering cause the grass isn't green but the sky is blue and the trees seem to be green... ...

I don't think they are albino. Are they the lighter shade of Braunvieh or maybe Charolais? The momma and the babies look like the pictures listed under those breed here - http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/ Is that correct or are they something else?

Congratulations Jilleroo

eta: add a breed

Those are just wonderful! I have never even heard of a cow having triplets. It can't be very common. That first picture is just as cute as it can be. I agree with Jo, you could probably get those printed as postcards and make a killing on them.

My step daughter's grand dad had a two headed calf on his place last year. The reason we knew is that we saw the picture on the net. It acutally lived for several days. He was beginning to wonder what to do with it if it did live, in fact, when it died. It was a couple days old when he found it.

That is nice. I'm courious as what was the time lapse between each if you know, or can tell. Thanks n good luck.

buckwheat

The triplets are charolais, two heifers and a bull (now steer). I think in the first photo the bull is in the middle. They were obviously premature when born, hair very short, teeth not through the gums etc. We don't know what the birth intervals were - they were all on the ground when found. We figure that perhaps because the cow is such a big old girl, she probably had the capacity for the three little guys inside her - maybe triplets are conceived more occasionaly then we think but are aborted? They are now a year old - the cow was a nine year old when they were born, homebred. She is kept in an open range multi-sire situation, 5000 acres in each of the paddocks. (We're in Australia.) Our son and his partner (the girl in the photo) manage that station property for us and Jess decided to take the calves from the cow and handrear them, for their novelty value! The cow loved them all but was having trouble keeping track of them and Jess was having to ride out to check they were all together twice a day. They received some publicity and a calf milk replacer company offered to sponsor them in exchange for advertising for their product, which worked out well. The calves had no hiccups in their health and are now weaned but are smaller than their peers, understandably. They were all full of attitude and sheer determination from birth - if you don't have food they don't particulary want to know you! We expect the heifers will be freemartins but may join them for curiosity sake - although we're not actively seeking multiple births!
The cow should have been caste for age last muster, but we have given her another year, mainly because we have the season on that particular property to do so, and to see what she may produce this time. She'd never been noticed to have a multiple birth before - we notice several sets of twins a year out of about 1700 births.
Hope to get an up to date photo for you soon but thought everyone would enjoy seeing them when they were at their cutest. We've certainly had a lot of fun out of them!

Congrats, what a fun thing! We had a set this year too. I posted pics of ours too. We weaned one at 2 weeks and the mother is taking care of the other two just fine and pretty big now. Ours were 65-70# each and came 16 days early, yours look really little.
I just love that first picture. :heart:

One of my brindles had twins. Both heifers. They're 6 years old now and calve every 11 months. Both extremely healthy. One is brindle and the other is black.

I have never seen trips. Thanks for sharing the pics.

We have yet to have even twins. Out of all the people on this board how many have had twins and triplets? Also what breed had them? Going to try and keep count just for learning sake. Still waiting for our first set of twins.
Amazing story. Would love to know if they are really freemartins or not.
Double R

we have had cow's almost 20 yrs and have had only one set of twins and they were out of a yellow beefmaster (we think) cow bred to simme/angus bull. My dad has had several twins over the yrs but he regretfully had to sell all his due to health. It seems everybody that doesn't have twins wants them but let me tell ya the set we had wasn't that easy to get started on momma. it was give or take the first two days and the little booger's made it and momma raised them until they were 3 months old then we pulled them and fed them some before selling a month later. I hope this ol' girl really doesnt have twins this year but if she does we will pull one off and bottle feed it.

It will be pretty darn hard for anyone to "one up" that story at the coffie shop! Congratulations. :clap:

I would say this ranks right up there with seeing a white unicorn. :lol:

(I sorta feel sorry for the nursing mom though. :nod: )

there's no one upping your story, i have a charolais that gave me twins 3 years in a row, but your set is a record topper...thanks for the photos and happy new year..

Latest posts