Some photos of our triplet calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Those were great pics.
We hardly have gone a year without at least 1 set of twins. Simmentals
We had a Charolais breeder many years ago with a set of triplets, they showed the dam & calves as cow/calf pair at the fair.

Twins are genetic but a lot depends on how you feed. The Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) in Nebraska has a twining research herd. I have not seen much about them lately but I think they were up around 25% or 30%. I worked at a 400 cow dairy years ago, we averaged over 3% twins with holstiens, one year we were over 7%. Maybe it was the AI tech because in 20 years at the ranch in Wyoming I have had at least 1 set every year with angus cows, usually 2 or 3. Some Colorado dairymen think it is something in the alfalfa, could be, I winter on alfalfa there. (just kidding about the tech part) With all the twins I have never seen tripps.

By the way Twins are cute and all, and its nice to have an extra if you need a graft. but they are just more trouble than they are worth.

Dr. Jay Brown at Hayes Center had a personal story years ago about getting called out on a little 800 lb jersey with a backwards calf. She wound up having live quads!!!!!

By the way Twins are cute and all, and its nice to have an extra if you need a graft. but they are just more trouble than they are worth.
I second that!!! I HATE TWINS (even tho I have made some good $$$ off a couple sets of twin heifers - still don't like them - don't want them - but EXPECT them every year).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3tuht3k5 said:
I second that!!! I HATE TWINS (even tho I have made some good $$$ off a couple sets of twin heifers - still don't like them - don't want them - but EXPECT them every year).

I hear you Jeanne. Had my purebreds ultrasounded after AI and found out one (a Simmi) is expecting twins. No surprise as her dam had two sets in her lifetime. Although it has enabled me to prepare, sometimes I wonder if I would have been happier not knowing. :help:

My dad has a cow that has twins every-other year like clockwork. Always claims both. I think she is on her fifth set.

As for triplets, I have zero experience with beef but have attended to a few Holsteins that had them and it was metabolic bad news. All but one died and she survived because her owner pumped her stomach daily for a week. Thank your lucky stars it turned out for the best. It will be interesting to know if both heifers turn up freemartin or not.

Latest posts