Some people never learn

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We had a lot of rain in earlu august, over a foot in the first week and a half, and the grass grew like crazy. We haven;t had a drop of rain since then and none in sight for the next week or so with temps in the high 90s. Some people have cut hay the past couple of days and the fields have all turned brown and withered. I wonder if the realize they've probably screwed up next years hay crop. I don;t understand the idea of cutting it now since there is hay still baled and in the fields and no one is buying any hay now since we had such a boomer year for first cutting.

Some people can't adapt to new situations....they are stuck in the " it rains, grass grows, you cut it for hay" mentality because that was the way they were taught.

I agree dun.. most of the folks around here have cut & baled twice already, and the fields are doing the same as you say. turning brown. I wondered the same thing about next years grass if they do that. Typically by now we have had a cool snap with about a weeks worth of rain. but none in site they say.
We got plenty of hay on our first cutting, and I am going to let it seed, graze the rest of it , hopefully up til Christmas!! Becuz who knows, if we dont get any rain for another few weeks.. that extra forage is going to comein mighty handy.

Same here Dun. Hay sitting everywhere for sale and barns are full but people are still cutting. Had a little shower on Sunday, maybe a tenth. Nothing else since the early August monsoon. Pasture is holding up but sure not growing like I was hoping for.

Stocker Steve":2j61eaem said:
dun":2j61eaem said:
Some people have cut hay the past couple of days and the fields have all turned brown and withered. I wonder if the realize they've probably screwed up next years hay crop.

tall fescue?
Yes. The main problem is it's still really trying to recover from the last years drought. I know some of it will come back but most of these folks around here never lime or fertilize so it isn;t as robust as one would hope.

Hard to say. People around here doing the same thing (tho we have had some rain) but they haven't forgot 2011 and ya never know how long winter will last now days--or if spring rain will come or not. If rain don't come in spring, you better have lots and lots of hay and/or downsize stocking rate again. Danged if ya do graze it--danged if you do bale it.

2011 was a disaster all year.
2012 we got big rain in March, not enoug in the fall to get ryegrass up and growing, but this last spring, not much at all.
Aug and Sept have been pretty wet for me, but 80 miles away NE of me in CB's area, it's been dry unless he got some in the last few days.

Latest posts