Never gets old

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks pretty good. Did you get some showers the last couple of days? Weather radar made it look like your part of the world might be getting some.

That ought to make them fat(ter) and happy.

What's the advantage of the brisket tags over regular ear tags?

What is it Rydero? Is that the munching of the grasshoppers you are hearing?

Ken
Forage oats and a mixture called Silage Biomass which is more sorghum sudan than anything else. The grasshoppers don't like the sorghum, the pigweed is heading and the oats is too so the idea is to knock it back and hopefully the sorghum takes off for later.

Thankfully the cow munching is louder. If I could hear the grasshoppers munching there would be no satisfaction, they're terrible things. I liked watching them eat the Ecobran I put out earlier this summer, soon after they do the funky chicken and die. They have wings now and it's gotten hopeless to get rid of them.

That ought to make them fat(ter) and happy.

What's the advantage of the brisket tags over regular ear tags?
Gives them a boost for a bit, then back to droughted out grass. Hopefully it starts raining now and then and things green up again..

Brisket tags have great retention and the numbers are printed on and take years to fade. I've been around a lot of cattle and only a couple have lost one. Never at home but at work where they feed silage in bunks it happens the odd time a cow loses one. We buy cattle in routinely and sometimes the ear tags they come with are repeats so it gets confusing because we tag the calves the same # as the cows.

I am new to summer annuals but going to try some next year. How tall is the Sudan? Only asking because our seed guy,who sells very little of it, said never to graze it less then 18 inches due to prussic acid. Once he told me that I started looking into millet but would rather try the sorgum Sudan.

I am new to summer annuals but going to try some next year. How tall is the Sudan? Only asking because our seed guy,who sells very little of it, said never to graze it less then 18 inches due to prussic acid. Once he told me that I started looking into millet but would rather try the sorgum Sudan.
Mostly less than 18". A little Google search and I found what he's talking about. Not the first time I've done it and no problems yet, also grazed a bunch last year that froze out. Maybe this is a don't try this at home situation. Maybe we've just been lucky so far.

Those calves are chunks!

What's the coldest night you've had so far? I was expecting your leaves to have fallen by now.

Latest posts