Got some of those good panels.

Help Support CattleToday:

Been eyeing them for a few years. Held up thinking I'd build some when I got time. Got 20 of them at a farm auction for 310.00
Each. My figure is about 50.00 bucks over materials. Can't build em for that.

View attachment 10861
You got a great deal! They are being sold in my area for $340ea (20ft long). When drill pipe comes down (if it ever does) I'd like to build me some. Bought a 100 sticks of pipe last year to enlarge my corral for $26 a stick(30ft) now that same pipe is $70. Needless to say my steel building days have come to a halt..Lol

I've dealt with NORM quite a bit and it's pretty hard to get it in tubing that would be used or sold for structural pipe. My experience from both the production side of O&G and the welding side is vessels are the worse. Tubing or pipe generally has to come from facilities that moved A LOT of production water like swds or water flood fields... stuff like that to get any kind of norm to worry about. Generally that pipe is not in good enough shape to be sold for any thing.

Basically, it's not some thing I would worry about. I'd worry about the quality of tubing after being exposed to h2s, co2, carbonic acid, etc down hole. It won't kill you but it's makes for some crappy pipe in a couple years.
Brute, What does NURM stand for? The radioactivity you are talking about is just Radon ?

Naturally Occurting Radioactive Material
OK. Thanks. Radon emits an alpha which is harmless out in the open. Here in NH we have alot of granite, which also can have radon. If your house foundation is made from granite, there can be a large concentration of radon that if you breath in can be an issue. For a cattle panel out in the open, I don't see how that could ever be an issue.

Just rebuilt one of the corrals with 6 bar pipe panels. That stuff is awesome. Paid $155 per 20' panel

Got some new steel for a project from one of the biggest suppliers up here in the Midwest a week ago. He told me new steel is at least double and in some cases triple what it was a year and a half ago. Said they'd been expecting to see a small drop in price for the last 6 months, and the other day he got notice of a 5% INCREASE instead. Hard to build anything nowadays for how much it costs. That's why used equipment is going so high... can't afford the new stuff anymore.

Well, this is what I'm getting for our new corral from Triple S Ranch Supply. 8 free-standing 24 ft. panels @ $325 each, 4 gate panels @ $600 each with a new Arrowquip 7400 w/palp cage. Delivery & set up $125. And they make them there. Hope I like it - Merry Christmas!
View attachment 11203
That is going to be a good set of yards TC.

Ken

Well, this is what I'm getting for our new corral from Triple S Ranch Supply. 8 free-standing 24 ft. panels @ $325 each, 4 gate panels @ $600 each with a new Arrowquip 7400 w/palp cage. Delivery & set up $125. And they make them there. Hope I like it - Merry Christmas!
View attachment 11203
I'm quite envious!

But from my interaction with your cows, I would have thought you could have worked them behind 1 strand of poly wire! :ROFLMAO:

Lol. Yeah I've hit a few when I've forgot how long the legs are. Extensions on the windbreaks in particular.

I make.my own clamp on gate hinges so I can hang regular gates on them. 2 muffler clamps welded on a piece of 1" square tubing. Make them in a few minutes and can put a gate anywhere.
Could you send a picture of that? I need to make some of those.

All that steel does look mighty nice. And great idea on those hinges Rydero. But holy moly the dollars!!! $300 for 30 foot sections of corral. No wonder some people think there is no money in cattle. It cost me $62 for 30 feet of Lodge pole pine poles and RR ties with me cutting my own poles. If I purchased the poles it would cost me $135. I do realize that steel will last longer. But I also know of some real nice steel corrals sitting empty that haven't been used in years.

All that steel does look mighty nice. And great idea on those hinges Rydero. But holy moly the dollars!!! $300 for 30 foot sections of corral. No wonder some people think there is no money in cattle. It cost me $62 for 30 feet of Lodge pole pine poles and RR ties with me cutting my own poles. If I purchased the poles it would cost me $135. I do realize that steel will last longer. But I also know of some real nice steel corrals sitting empty that haven't been used in years.
Do those pine poles and railroad ties build pens by themselves???

It's all how you look at it, no right or wrong. I plan on selling my panels for more than I paid. The loading chute I built out of boards when I moved here 12 years ago needs to be re-done already. To me they're free, my money's just tied up for now.

They get moved back and forth to load cattle out and then brought home to make the calving pens every year too, I'm free to change the design anytime.

Yes, I've built my share of pole corrals, and then rebuilt them. They are all gone now, and I didn't get to resell a single inch of them.
I can reorganize my free standers any time I get an idea for more efficient handling, to clean corrals, I can take them to another site as circumstances may dictate, and when I'm done I can take them to the sale, recoup my money, and no one will ever drive by my place years down the road and say "wow, I bet those were quite a set of corrals back in the day, a real shame to see them rotting away like that considering how much work someone must have put into them."

Cant build good 4 board fence here now for $10 a ft. and that a long ways from as good as those panels for crowding. I will have $8-9 a foot in 3 rail guardrail for my pens when I am done before labor and I got a deal on the materials. I would buy those panels in a heartbeat at that price.

Do those pine poles and railroad ties build pens by themselves???
No but steel doesn't build itself either. And I am retired and have plenty of extra time. It is actually good for me to have more to do.

Can those RR ties and pine poles be easily loaded on a trailer and hauled from pasture to pasture with a tractor or skid steer?
No, but why move the corral. Cows have legs and they can walk to the corral easier than taking the corral to them.

no one will ever drive by my place years down the road and say "wow, I bet those were quite a set of corrals back in the day, a real shame to see them rotting away like that considering how much work someone must have put into them."
I am 70 years old. By the time this corral needs to get rebuilt I will no longer be around. The man who built what I rebuilt last year has been gone for at least 30 years. He built it around 50 years ago.

Cant build good 4 board fence here now for $10 a ft. and that a long ways from as good as those panels for crowding. I will have $8-9 a foot in 3 rail guardrail for my pens when I am done before labor and I got a deal on the materials. I would buy those panels in a heartbeat at that price.
Six poles high on RR ties cost me $1.76 a foot for materials.

Latest posts