Shall we make some hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have a wheat, rye, and crimson clover mix that was ready last week but weather hasn't been right. Might be able to get after it this week hopefully. Going to wrap it so doesn't have to be perfect conditions field just needs to dry out a little more.
More vetch in it than I thought which isn't a bad thing. It's going down this afternoon.

i-v4V4SHZ-XL.jpg

i-fsK8nnK-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I realize all that glitters is not gold but I really like that. Whatever you are doing with hay keep it up.
Here's for rain when you need it! LVR

I have to confess, this was a deer food plot that we were going to convert to alfalfa. But when we received the results of the soil test the pH was WAY low so we added lime and put in a cover crop for the deer. Just looked too good to disk in for soybeans so I'm baling it now!

Whelp….this crap is getting old. Got about 2 hours of cutting in and the strangest racket started. Got off and looked things over but couldn't pinpoint the source. Got back on and 2 minutes later….it stopped cutting. Broke the sickle bar. Apparently the locknut came loose…. This little stupid stuff going wrong is about to make me blow a gasket.

At first I wasn't going to make any this year, just buy it.
I have decided to clean my meadows off and graze it after it starts coming back.
Waiting on it to dry up, we got a good rain last week.
I just hit it with chicken litter the day before.
I'm not buying any commercial fertilizer this year. It doesn't pencil out.
Ok. You've got to fill me in on using chicken litter. Absolute news to me. What the heck?

Ok. You've got to fill me in on using chicken litter. Absolute news to me. What the heck?
We have chicken houses in our area.
I was in the business myself and used nothing but chicken litter on my place at home.
My place had very thin topsoil, the chicken litter made a huge difference.
The neighbors fought over it and used what I didn't need, I usually had 400 tons/ year. The neighbors ended up with the bulk of it.
You have to take soil samples to keep phosphorus levels in check.
If you make hay on it it keeps the phosphorus levels down and you have to add some every year.

The litter I bought this year was $30/ton spread. Mine called for 2tons/acre.
My son is in the spreader business so that helps.
Take soil samples and it will tell you what you need, it's usually 2-4tons/acre.

Whelp….this crap is getting old. Got about 2 hours of cutting in and the strangest racket started. Got off and looked things over but couldn't pinpoint the source. Got back on and 2 minutes later….it stopped cutting. Broke the sickle bar. Apparently the locknut came loose…. This little stupid stuff going wrong is about to make me blow a gasket.
Yep. A 10 cent nut/bolt puts a guy 4 days behind. Because NO one has parts...

Yep. A 10 cent nut/bolt puts a guy 4 days behind. Because NO one has parts...
Put the sickle I took out last year and replaced. Instead of driving 25 miles for correct machine bolt, I used one the same strength from an auto parts store. When I get time I'll take the head off another old sickle and replace the one that broke.

Got it cut then spent the rest of the afternoon taking a shaft off to put a missing zerk in the universal joint….

We have chicken houses in our area.
I was in the business myself and used nothing but chicken litter on my place at home.
My place had very thin topsoil, the chicken litter made a huge difference.
The neighbors fought over it and used what I didn't need, I usually had 400 tons/ year. The neighbors ended up with the bulk of it.
You have to take soil samples to keep phosphorus levels in check.
If you make hay on it it keeps the phosphorus levels down and you have to add some every year.
Who knew? I mean besides you and your neighbors.

Using chicken litter is actually very common in areas where there's chicken houses, some even feed it to their cattle. Around here it's almost a knife fight to get the litter before someone else does.
It's getting that way here.
They do clean out breeder farms and pullet farms every year. ( that's what I had breeder) but the broiler farms they don't clean out nearly as often anymore putting a lot less litter on the market.
Lucky one of my sons is in the business, I can get it from time to time.

Latest posts