Some of my young bulls for comments

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Picture_041.jpg

Picture_031.jpg

Picture_029.jpg

Woozers! I'm no expert on conformation by any stretch of the imagination, but I think those cattle look great!

Alice

Look very nice to me as does the fence/wall in the background. If you ever get in a pinch or have some spare time, I sure could use some help fencing. ;-) :lol: What kind of cattle are they? Other than gooduns.

KNERSIE":3kdxwky6 said:
Joy of Texas":3kdxwky6 said:
VanC":3kdxwky6 said:
Are they Tulis?
Thats what they look like to me. Nice animals. How old are your bulls ?

They look like Tuli's, but Tuli's are supposed to be polled?

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes they are Tuli bulls. The first one will be 3 years on December 27 and the other two have just turned two years old at the beginning of November.

Most Tulis are polled, however, a number of horned animals have been bred back into the breed by number of breeders in Zimbabwe.

Welcome to the forum Mathias, they are good looking Tuli bulls. The original herd from which the Tuli were bred were all horned,a polled bull (a sport) was born about 15 years into the program. When I changed over to pure Tuli in 1970, the proportions were 75% polled and 25% horned. Selection has been continuing in favour of the polled for commercial farms, but some lowveld breeders with predator problems retained the horns in their breeding programs, and some of the bulls supplied to the upgrading program to the local tribal areas are horned on request, as the offspring retained as draught oxen are left horned for traditional reasons.

Mathias,
I'm not that familyer with the breed so I had to visit this site to see what they should look like.
North American Tuli Association website
http://www.tuliassociation.com/advant.html

As far as I can tell they are fine looking animals and should serve you well.
But there is one thing:
Re:
In study after study over the past five years, the Tuli breed has performed as well or better than most domestic breeds (including Angus) in the areas of quality grade, marbling, tenderness and ribeye area.
Say WHAT?
(Here comes a little chain pulling)
Not sure I'm going to buy into that one. :lol:

Anywho they are great looking bulls.
SL

Prior to the introduction of these breeds, a vast amount of independent research was carried out on the Tuli, Boran and Senepol to compare them to the Brahman as the heat resistant benchmark, and to the Angus as the beef quality benchmark. Among others, Clay, Texas and Florida universities carried out comparative research over several years, all can be accessed on line given time! a good website with pictures, links and general information is; http://tuli.co.za/ I will pull up the discussion from two years ago if anyone wishes to access some of the links posted during that discussion.
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... attle+sale

Andy bob,

Thanks for the links.
Don't get me wrong I think they are great looking animals.
But with my cattleman's hat on looking for dollars on the hoof I question some of their claims. What's wrong with this picture?
See: http://www.tuliassociation.com/research.html

Help me out here. What Does "Tuli X" mean?

And also:
http://www.tuliassociation.com/advant.html
the Tuli breed has performed as well or better than most domestic breeds (including Angus) in the areas of quality grade, marbling, tenderness and ribeye area.
Suggested Crosses:
1. Cross with Brahman to upgrade meat quality, calving ease, early maturity, docility, and increase pound of calf weaned per pound of cow exposed without losing either heat or insect tolerance.
"to upgrade meat quality" ???????????????
I thought they already said Tuli was better then Braham?? IMO, that cross should down grade the meat if the tests are correct.
Do you know of any test results with out any crosses in either animal?
SL

Sir Loin, as always, no breed is the answer to all needs, but I will give my opinion based on rearing the breed in one of the most severe environments for cattle.
Tuli X means Tuli crosses, semen was imported for the research as the breed did not yet exist in the United States.
The pure Tuli has slightly less marbling than Angus but more than other heat resistant breeds, Angus X Tuli is the most popular cross in the 'States, grading is equal to Angus, shear force again only slightly behind Angus, the ribeye in the Tuli is proportionally larger in diameter than most commercial breeds, this is expressed in the F1 crosses as well. While the Pure Tuli have an outstanding feed conversion, this is at the expense of rate of growth, good for grass fed, but better as a cross for feedlots to take advantage of the conversion and rate of growth of the chosen cross. They are being used extensively in Mexico and other South American countries to improve the fertility and meat quality of the Bos Indicus (Mainly Brazu-Indus) We did a similar cross in Namibia to improve Brahman carcase quality. Their docility is legendary, traditionally the cattle were herded by young boys, once they reached puberty they were drafted into the regiments, so any troublesome cattle quickly became BBQ before the village children could be harmed. My son Craig has CP and is slow, I would not trust his taking care of any other breed of cattle in my absence (no bull 'though). As I have always stated, I believe the role of the Tuli is as a base breed for harsh environments, used to produce F1 females for commercial herds either in a three way, or terminal crossbreeding program.

Andybob,

Hold on a minute you're beginning to sound like Bill Mays selling his line of BS.

SL Q. What Does "Tuli X" mean?
A' "Tuli X means Tuli crosses,"
Thank you. That was my opinion also.
And it also confirms my suspicions that these test results are not comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Think about this:
Tests included both Tuli and Brahman crossed to both Angus and Hereford. Tuli scored highest surpassing Angus.
If that's not smoke and mirrors I don't know what is!

The fact is " there is no such thing as A "tuli", there are only "Tuli" crosses.
And without knowing what it is crosses with the tests are bogus and useless.

Here in after I will refer to them as "Tuli X" s as the breed, so no one in the US thinks they are a purebred Tuli.

Re:
Tests included both Tuli and Brahman crossed to both Angus and Hereford. Tuli scored highest surpassing Angus.
In layman terms please explain that to me.
SL

Sir Loin":2dx9dxh8 said:
Andybob,

Hold on a minute you're beginning to sound like Bill Mays selling his line of BS.

SL Q. What Does "Tuli X" mean?
A' "Tuli X means Tuli crosses,"
Thank you. That was my opinion also.
And it also confirms my suspicions that these test results are not comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Think about this:
If that's not smoke and mirrors I don't know what is!

The fact is " there is no such thing as A "tuli", there are only "Tuli" crosses.
And without knowing what it is crosses with the tests are bogus and useless.

Here in after I will refer to them as "Tuli X" s as the breed, so no one in the US thinks they are a purebred Tuli.

Re:
In layman terms please explain that to me.
SL

Unfortunately when I left my farm, it was in something of a hurry, so the research notes from the government funded research done by the Rhodesian/Zimbabwean govt, the Botswana Govt and the Australians done in Botswana and Zim, were all left behind, so in attempting to give information when asked for, I have to rely on internet links. The breed does have high quality beef and was central to the export market under the 'REX' trade name, however if you believe the breed just might be worth investigating, contact some American breeders, see their cattle, and their records and make an assessment 'in the field' I believe the breed had much to offer the commercial breeder, and although I am not selling any stock, I will try to give the information I have when there is an interest in the breed. There are a growing number of pure, unadulterated registered Tuli available in the USA, all bred from the imported embryos from Zimbabwe, South Africa and Australia, there is no upgrading to register able status so all available purebreds are traceable back to the Tuli breeding station herd.
The best way to get a knowledgeable answer to your questions on the American research would be to contact either Clay university where the research was done , or the secretary of the North American Tuli breeders Association. My understanding,briefly, is that the various Tuli crosses were consistently higher in the traits mentioned than the other crosses or purebreds in the test, I too would like to see local research with pure Tuli now that they are available to the scientists, but there is little funding available for unbiased research!

Latest posts