Some Murray Grey Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
We were lucky enough to get 4 inches of rain last week to fill the ponds up a bit and get the grass growing again. Despite the heat, all of the cows and calves are holding up really well. By this time last year, we were creep feeding the calves to give them a little extra protein, but we have not had to do that yet this year. I have a pretty good idea of which heifers we will be retaining, and there are two bulls in particular that are really catching my eye every time I look at them. Both are sons of BB Uncle Tony and are from the same cow line, so we will be waiting a little while longer to determine which one we will keep. The majority of these calves were born in either March or April and will be weaned in early November.

914 Heifer- 5 month old heifer calf sired by BB Uncle Tony. She is 75% Murray Grey and 25% Angus and is my favorite heifer of this year's calf crop.

904 Heifer- This calf is a 5 1/2 month old Tony daughter that is 7/8ths Murray Grey and 1/8th Guernsey. This cow tends to throw some really small calves that don't look like much when they are born, but they really take off after the first few months. We will likely be retaining her as well.

905 Bull- This particular calf is one of my top two bull picks from this year. He is almost 6 months old and is pictured with his 9 year old dam. He had a 92 lb birth weight and has been a tank since day one. We got his parentage results back a few days ago and he is a Tony son.

907 Bull- This calf is one of our better bull calves that was sired OK Boss II. He is 5 1/2 months old and will be castrated shortly after weaning. I think that he is going to make a heck of a steer.

901 Bull- This bull is a 6 month old Monterey Marshall son. He was 84 lbs at birth. He is one of the better calves out of this particular cow, and is only the second calf that we have gotten out of Marshall after AIing 10 head to him.

This last picture shows a 5 1/2 month old Tony son that is 75% Murray Grey and 25% Guernsey. He too will be castrated shortly after weaning, but we are saving him for our own freezer. We will be processing his full brother about a month from now. The steers from this particular mating have a lot of frame, are extraordinarily deep bodied and wide, and have produced some really big ribeyes for us in the past.

They are sure coming along nice. I would sure like to see the Marshall son stay a bull but its always personal preference. That 914 heifer is complete. I would keep a heifer like that!

Again, outstanding calves. And again, Tony shines!!! You need to buy unrelated females to breed to him!! LOL
Do you sell semen on him? You should! and other MG breeders would be dumb not to be banging at your door for his semen.

Thank you for the feedback! We are very happy with this year's calf crop, and I am really looking forward to watching them grow and mature over the coming months.

Jeanne- Thank you for the kind words. Our Tony daughters are consistently the best of our calf crop, and we have retained a lot of them since his first calf crop back in 2014. Currently, over half of our herd are either his daughters or granddaughters. The impact that he has had on our herd has been profound. We collected him back in the winter of 2014-2015 and are selling semen from him. So far, his semen has been primarily been used by US breeders, but we have sent straws to Mexico and have had inquiries from several other countries regarding Tony.

This is the other Tony son that is a candidate to be our next herd bull. He had a 74 lb birth weight and is a solid 3 weeks younger than the 905 bull. His dam tends to throw lower birth weight calves that don't look like much when they are born, but they are always among the best by weaning.

Yes, he has "the Tony" look. I knew your herd had to be getting heavy in his influence. So far, I have not seen "a consistent replacement" AI bull looking at your offspring.
But, I have to say, all your cattle are top notch.

Some great looking animals there BB!
Remind me again of Tonys breeding please. Heifer 914 is a beauty, hard to believe she is only 5 1/2 months old. Will be interesting to see what she weighs.

It's spring down here and we've just finished calving at this end of the world. Put the bulls out a couple of days ago for next years crop.

waihou said:
Some great looking animals there BB!
Remind me again of Tonys breeding please. Heifer 914 is a beauty, hard to believe she is only 5 1/2 months old. Will be interesting to see what she weighs.

It's spring down here and we've just finished calving at this end of the world. Put the bulls out a couple of days ago for next years crop.

Thank you! We plan to wean them in about 9 days or so. I will let you know what she weighs; I am thinking that she will be close to 600 lbs.

As for Tony, his breeding consists of American bloodlines, but he is a great grandson of Balmoral Elation. He is sired by OK Boomer and out of OK Sadie (photos attached). Both of these individuals were out Carole Brown's herd. Sadie will be 17 years old in March and is due to calve again then.

OK Boomer

OK Sadie at 15 1/2 years with her day old heifer calf

What bulls are you using this breeding season? Do you still have your Wallawong Under the Radar son? We are almost wrapped with fall calving ourselves, and we have been having a lot of heifer calves out of our Monterey Marshall son.

Yes BB, we still have the Wallawong Under the Radar son, Kauri. His daughters are calving this year and have produced some good calves, and really quick for 2 year olds as well.
He only has 4 cows this year and last mating season we leased him out to another stud. His days are numbered, nobody wants to buy a rising 5 year old bull, despite how good they are!

The bull getting the majority cows and heifers is Murphy, the bull we bred by Mount Major Kingswood (au) I think he is available in USA now? He isn't outstanding to look, nobody here was very complimentary anyway, at but his first crop of calves are good, with excellent carcass and marbling EBV's.

Hope this comes out but is an illustration of Murphys EBV,s the only negative one is retail yield, due to his fat cover-supposedly!

Latest posts