Some longhorn-cross calves

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I've been very happy with the calves from my linebred polled hereford and longhorn cows.
Here's one that was born this morning, the one on the right is a week old.

They do come out out small but grow quick, this heifer is almost 4 months old and dang near 50% the size of mamma. I really like this heifer calf and think she would make a good mamma herself.

Here is my first attemt at cold water maceration on a nice skull from a cow we butchered last winter.

The little calves are quite cute, and I am a bit surprised by the looks of the 4 months old, she is very pretty.

I'd like her better if she had brown where the white was and vice versa, but I gotta say she looks really good to my eye!

They sure look nice.
How's that tub smell? :D If you have some old towels, wrap them around the areas that aren't submerged, but make sure the towels are partially in the water. The towels will soak up the water and you'll get the entire skull clean. It may take some scrubbing. Also, you're going to have to pull those horns and clean the cores. There's a lot of tissue inside there, and it'll stink something awful.

M.Magis":2l2fq5fk said:
They sure look nice.
How's that tub smell? :D If you have some old towels, wrap them around the areas that aren't submerged, but make sure the towels are partially in the water. The towels will soak up the water and you'll get the entire skull clean. It may take some scrubbing. Also, you're going to have to pull those horns and clean the cores. There's a lot of tissue inside there, and it'll stink something awful.
The tub smells horrendous! Good idea with the towels I will do that for sure today. How do I get the horns outer covering to break free? I know it is nasty under them because there is leakage seeping out.

Once you get the skull clean, you can take it and put it in one of those extra large garbage bags, like the ones for lawn clippings. Put in maybe a half gallon of water, and close up the bag. Leave it for a couple weeks, and hopefully when you open it the horns slip right off. Sometimes it takes some persuasion with a rubber mallet, or sometimes some small holes drilled near the cores helps. They aren't always easy, but eventually they'll come off.

Edit: I almost forgot, before slipping the horn sheaths off, make some marks so you can get them aligned properly when you reattach them.

very nice! Your black and white cow looks like she has some Watusi in her. The shape of her horns at the base are not like your average longhorn.

chippie":kgtcxo89 said:
very nice! Your black and white cow looks like she has some Watusi in her. The shape of her horns at the base are not like your average longhorn.
You're right chippie, I've got a couple that are 1/8 watusi 1/8 holstein. The holstein really stands out in color and also in milk.

Latest posts