Some grey cattle pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Not many cattle pics lately that arent red or black.

Here are some pics of our MGs that we have on the spring show circuit currently. None of these photos are great, I was doing it by myself. And yes, I know some of you will say they are 'show cattle', but the Australian show scene is pretty different to the American one, and these are first and foremost paddock cattle.

Moorabinda Evelyn - 9 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_930.JPG

Moorabinda Misty (Charm) - 10 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_959.JPG

Moorabinda Panache (Pash) - 11 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_919.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_922.JPG

Moorabinda Gretel - 13 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_940.JPG

Moorabinda Rosita - 15 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_933.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_937.JPG

Moorabinda Connie - 17 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_926.JPG

Moorabinda Misty - 21 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_960.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_961.JPG

Moorabinda Merlin - 11 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_949.JPG

Moorabinda Kalgoorlie - 14 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_948.JPG

And a few pics of Rosita on interbreed day at Melbourne

Pics_for_Cattle_today_1010.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_1013.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_1017.JPG

Critique away if you feel the need :D

They would represent well here as well. I won't pretend that I know that much about the American Murray Grey show scene; but I highly suspect they would be really noticed when they got off the trailer.

Keren-

Your pictures show me a selection of good, solid, well-developed multi-purpose cattle, blending mostly toward beef genetics. They appear to be in excellent physical condition, either in preparation to be mated, or started in a feedlot for a finishing program. I personally approve of your seeming "show cattle" protocols as opposed to what is done here in America, which, In My Opinion, is nothing more than a "Beauty Parlor" operation, which covers up faults and undesirable characteristics of animals, and give youngsters an outlet for their unbounded energy, and keep them from putting outhouses on top of barns on Halloween! . . .among OTHER more drastic delinquencies! It covers up 'problems' in breeding animals which should not be propagated and extended into the Phenotypic gene pool of our cattle, - besides teaching our young people to be liars about their animals' genetics! It is a real sore spot with me, and has been for many years, and I know many breeders will disagree with me. But that has happened before, so I am not surprised.

"Wash and Brush - Blow and Go!" is good enough for me. The "Glue and Comb and Brush" to make faults disappear, and legs look thicker, and tail heads look like arrow points, and painted hooves and 'touched up white hair' . . . is nothing more than lying about your seedstock operation, and there is too much of that as it is. And . . . it is too much work - and too expensive! Just My Opinion.

DOC HARRIS

I agree with Doc. You have very nice cattle, I especially like "Connie" she's very well put together, and looks like she will throw really nice calves, either heifers or bull calves. But don't get me wrong, I like them all. I also agree about the way showing is done over here. I took three cattle to the fair this year and I noticed that, among the breeds, there was a TON of grooming (or whatever you want to call it) going on. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I want to be honest when I say that I gave my cows a couple baths, combed them out (long haired Galloways), trimmed up their stomachs a little to "thin" them out, but that was it! I was pressured to use adhesives and glues, but I didn't. My cattle are a natural breed, and in my mind, all cattle should be shown with as little grooming as possible. When we start doing this much to them, as Doc said, we are covering up breeding flaws and genetic problems. OK, off my soapbow now! :)

Great to see a good line up of MG's for a change of colour!
Our show preparation here in NZ tends to be the same, a couple of good washes and a trim here and there as required!
How did the Melbourne classes go?

Beautiful cattle! Anyone would be proud to have them in their pasture! And good luck with
the show circuit :D

Nice cattle...I really like the looks of those, though I don't know anything about MG's. A nice change of color! :D What do they act like? I always like to know what the different breeds are like. :) they look really gentle.

LimousinGirl":2wtl0v32 said:
Nice cattle...I really like the looks of those, though I don't know anything about MG's. A nice change of color! :D What do they act like? I always like to know what the different breeds are like. :) they look really gentle.

In my opinion, a docile nature is a true breed characteristic of Murray Greys. We've
had this breed since 1995 and I can honestly say there has only been a couple of animals
that were "high-headed"---and they were taken to the sale barn. For some info,
look at: www.murraygrey.org. Also, the website of the son of the founder of the
breed is very informative:
http://www.michaelong.com.au/

thanks for posting, Keren. I love MG's and yours are gorgeous :heart:

:D Keren,
Those are some really nice heifers! What have they been fed up till now? I am also curious as to how much you have to pay for corn in Australia. What is the predominate grass in your pastures?
I notice that most of your MGs are light in color; is this a personal preference, or do you feel there are some advantages to the light or silver hair? I just realize that I have asked a lot of questions. Thanks

Beautiful animals.

I think we would all do ourselves a favor if we eliminated all the primping and just washed/clipped/showed. I think a lot of people would get back into showing and the quality would improve. But the show cattle and the working cattle will always diverge due to different selection pressures placed on them (fads vs. markets). Same goes for any species of animal we breed. They all have their purposes, but at the end of the day I want my pasture full of low maintanence girls that look like those MG's.

ok I'll try to answer some questions quickly before I'm off to the next show.

redcows - thank you very much

eagle - mainly with our heifers they dont get any grain feeding to get them into show condition, we went that way once and they are such easy doers they got too fat. The females get ad lib oaten hay (we have no pasture due to drought) and they also get half a bucket of oaten chaff with a handful of horse mix thrown on top, mainly to have them used to eating out of buckets for the show and to catch them if I want to do anything with them. The exception is the baby heifers - evelyn, charm and pash, they recieved a daily ration of half a bucket (12L bucket) of oaten chaff, 2 kg heifer developer pellets and 1/2 kg of horse mix. They would have had this probably for about 2 mths, after which they were in pretty good nick we knocked them back to having the same as the other heifers (basically just took them off the pellets). The bulls get a daily ration (each) of 2 kg heifer developer pellets (16%), 1kg horse mix, 1kg calf meal (these last two mainly to get them eating cos they taste so good), 2kg flaked barley (though we play with this depending on whether they need finish - if they need more finish we put it in, if not it stays out) and a 12 L bucket ful of oaten chaff. The bulls also get free choice hay. When we show cows they get a similar ration to the baby heifers but with lactating pellets instead (no urea)

Our pastures are mainly onion grass :oops: and other weeds at the moment, but we are slowly getting the phalaris to take over, and we usually sow some grazing oats every year, giving us the flexibility to either cut and bale it, or graze it.

Some breeders do tend to prefer the silver MGs over the chocolate ones; in our case we have no preference, it is just a coincidence that most of the show team this year are silver. You do have to be careful to not continually breed silvers to silvers because you tend to lose the skin pigment (the skin on all of them should be dark grey/almost black) and then have issues with udder and eye cancer etc. so we have both a silver and a chocolate herdsire, plus our young bulls are mixed colours.

kenz - thanks very much!

limogirl - I have worked with most of the 'main' breeds (Angus, Hford, Shorn, Simmy, Limo) and a few less maintstream breeds (Square Meaters, Lowlines, MRI) and I think I can honestly say they are a breed with a very good temperament. They are very laid back and easy going. I have met a few nutters though, as in any breed. And to be fair, they do act 'piggy' - they particularly hate their nose being handled - ie putting a nose dog in them etc. and they tend to glue their nose to the ground and just walk off (bulldozer)

Ok Jeanne - thanks!

Waihou - in the first class, evelyn was first, charm second and pash third. Pash we think has injured her back - possibly from another heifer jumping her, and she just hasnt been walking properly, so that let her down. In the second class, gretel was unplaced - that was a bit of a disappointment. In the third class, rosita was first. In the fourth class, connie was first (that was a big suprise - I felt she was the weakest in our show team). Rosita was then named Junior Champion. In the first cow class, Misty was first. Rosita was named Grand Champion female over the cow. Merlin placed first in the first bull class, Kalgoorlie placed third in the second bull class - he got a back case of foot scald two weeks before the show, so he just wasnt walking right, and his scans and weights were not what we had hoped.We also got first in the sires progeny class, first in the pair of females, second in the breeders group and third in the pair of bulls. So yeah, Melbourne was great!

galloway girl - this connie is out of a long line of connies, actually the chocolate bulls mother is a connie. They are not the most complete females and they are a different type to the others we have in the show team this year. They are not generally the type I like to look at, but gosh they make excellent mothers in the paddock.

Brandon - thanks very much!

I feel I should clarify my comment about Australian vs American show cattle. Yes, you guys do a lot more glueing and fitting than we do, however, our shows are not just wash blow and go. Basically it is optional, with some people choosing to wash blow and go and others spending a long time gluing and clipping and fitting. For me, our cattle are clipped several weeks before the show, then on show they they get washed, blowed, combed and they get a spray of final bloom oil on the coat, and I tend to put a little ezy comb adhesive on the butt and top of the legs, and pull that hair out to make it pop. However, in those photos of Rosita in the interbreed, she has been fitted and glued and trimmed just before going into the ring. I will do that with interbreed.

I was talking more about the fact that our show ring tends to be closer to commercial reality than the American one. The cattle picked as winners here are functional commercial cattle - whereas I do wonder how functional American show cattle are. Your steers are too pretty - your heifers are too muscled. I may be blunt, but that is the way I see it. I like to think that these cattle I posted are well muscled while still retaining femininity. But the American show cattle I see - steers look like heifers and heifers look like steers. And there are other trends that concern me - the high tail settings, the trend against a slight slope from hips to pins, fitting the legs so they look post legged, the wish for a clean front end free of any excess leather.

First - your cattle are awesome. They are my kind of cattle. I don't care if cattle are black, red, grey, purple & polka dotted - just so they are GOOD. You have very clean fronted, deep bodied, well muscled cattle - all in a nice smooth, feminine package.
2nd - I guess I have to defend the American show cattle. The clubbies are way too extreme - I totally agree. Steers are more hair & hair prep than anything else, and yes, I guess I might agree that the jackpot heifers are probably too muscled.
BUT - in the purebred showring, your cattle are ideally what we strive for.
Here's my cow/calf pair:
Simmental_cowcalf.jpeg

and a Senior yearling:
NYSF_Radiant_pixel.jpg

and a 7 month old calf:
NYSF_Tequila_pixel.jpg

Both calves had their legs glued lightly with EZ Comb, but the older ones were "blow & show" - and, yes, we won with them.
Well, anyway, they are a good example of what the Purebred breeders are showing and winning with. The jackpot/clubbie shows are very EXTREME - totally different.
I would be proud to have your cattle in my showstring - especially Rosita.

I also wanted to comment of the "graining" issue. Sounds to me like you grain your show cattle. There are lots of different rations. We grain our show cattle. The 2-year old cow nursing, received about 8# of corn/protein pellet mixture a day (4# am & 4# pm). But she didn't get any grain until the calf was about 4 months old. Cow/calves were on baleage until we had pastures. Calf got about 2-3# per day. I feed enough to keep them in good condition, but immediately back off if they start showing fat deposit around the tail head (or elsewhere). So, it sounds like you feed your show cattle similar to me. Give them what they need to maintain that condition.
If cattle need a LOT of grain, then they are the wrong kind of cattle - for the showring or the pastures. Just because an animal is shown, does not mean that they are not good pasture cattle. My cattle go out to pasture after the showseason & are expected to compete with the rest of their contemporaries for pasture/hay, & breed back within our 60 day calving season (spring or fall).

Latest posts