100_2194.jpg

100_2180.jpg

"Morochos", or twins

100_2197.jpg

100_2192.jpg

100_2183.jpg

Mestizo cattle grazing.

100_2198.jpg

I googled Mestizo, could not find a good explanation , looks like a mixed breed, what we would call commercial cattle here, is this correct?

cowboy43":x5c409ss said:
I googled Mestizo, could not find a good explanation , looks like a mixed breed, what we would call commercial cattle here, is this correct?

You are indeed correct. My Spanish/English translator lists the following as an explanation of the word:

adjective: of mixed race (persona); cross-bred (animal, planta)

Mestizo are also called criollo or "country" cattle as well. There's lots of Brahman influence in these animals and the results of the crossbreeding with the Charolais produces some good-looking and fast-growing calves.

Pictured below is a mestizo novilla or heifer that I recently purchased. She's an excellent example of a mestizo animal though in my opinion looks much healthier than the average country cow encountered in these parts.

100_2184.jpg

townfarmer":1a6jc1pu said:
Looks beautiful and lush there. How do the Charolais bulls hold up in that climate?

Andrew

The summers are pretty brutal here, very little rain and lots of intense sunshine.

I've had some older Charolais cows go down, all during the summer, but most probably due to a combination of old age and the heat. I bought animals that were originally born in Cuba and imported by a local rancher a number of years back. Those that have gone down during the summer all had brands from the Cuban owner so I'm not really sure of their age.

My animals generally get very little grain though this year I had a good crop of grain sorghum so I'm supplementing their diets with that and some corn I've swapped for sorghum. We'll enter the dry season here in a month or two so this year I'm doing my best to take my animals into summer in the best condition possible.

As for your original question, my bulls hold up really well......better than the cows it seems.

LaneFarms":l9j2hsdc said:
what kind of grass is that?

Those cattle are feeding in my bracaria pasture (there's some guinea mixed in as well). I've also got a bit over 70 acres in bermuda.

ALACOWMAN":2to81n2c said:
looks and sounds like perfect brahman country,, have you ever thought about using a meaty gray brahman bull ?

I'm currently crossing a white Brahman bull with my Charolais heifers and will soon purchase a red Brahman bull as well. I'd like to add some color to those F1's. :D

Latest posts