Some cattle pics

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":33uaze44 said:
Brute, if your dead set on this line of breeding, go over to the King's Ranch. One of those Santa Cruz bulls would be able to hang with your cows, and would improve your calf crop .

HC they are running good bulls all over the world. Char's have been running in Mexico for nearly a 100 year's,
Shorthorn and Hereford longer than that in south Texas. If Lasater and the and the King Ranch developed and ran Beefmaster or Gert's in that enviroment then anyone can.

Brute 23":o67ob43i said:
I refuse to have a bull I have to bring in and put feed to.... I'll hang it up and start fishing more before that happens. :D Plus, when I run the numbers on what mthe calves are selling for vs the bell ringers its not enough to justify the extra work.

Here are the 3 heifers (solid black) I'm holding on to for the moment. I have mixed feelings about them. They are out of those cows in the pics and an Angus Plus bull. They have been on just grass and a hand full of cubes every now and then to get them some interaction with people.

H4.jpg

H3.jpg

H2.jpg

H1.jpg
is it because they make the others look bad :p

Caustic Burno":3exf68li said:
houstoncutter":3exf68li said:
Brute, if your dead set on this line of breeding, go over to the King's Ranch. One of those Santa Cruz bulls would be able to hang with your cows, and would improve your calf crop .

HC they are running good bulls all over the world. Char's have been running in Mexico for nearly a 100 year's,
Shorthorn and Hereford longer than that in south Texas. If Lasater and the and the King Ranch developed and ran Beefmaster or Gert's in that enviroment then anyone can.

Yep CB ,sorta what I thought, cant see why you need a poor example of a crossbred mutt to put on your calves. You are going to get no hybrid vigor...and I sure cant see starting to linebreed from this bull.

houstoncutter":1pbr8vh8 said:
Yep CB ,sorta what I thought, cant see why you need a poor example of a crossbred mutt to put on your calves. You are going to get no hybrid vigor...and I sure cant see starting to linebreed from this bull.

How do you know he's a mutt?

I noticed the KR uses "hybrid vigor" in their spill on the Santa Cruz.

i dont think he's so much a mutt,, but his offsprings will be...now bred to some good straight bred angus or herefords he might produce some good replacements heifers with a little ear

Brute 23":2utqj61z said:
Since I give every one else be nice all the time here is yalls chance for pay back. My new addition. :D

He's like 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman. They have to put half blood heifers in some time so he could favor a little over 1/4.
LDRBull.jpg

Had these cows on my phone.
N_Cow.jpg

N_Cow2.jpg

Websters defines mutt as a mongrel. Please reread YOUR second and third lines of your orginal post.......Equals to being a mutt. It would be perhaps ok to use a bull that you were not sure of his linage, but to not know his exact breed or breed percentages....sorry that one doesnt compute!

Its your choice, and more power to ya, but I think your leaving a lot of money on the table. :tiphat:

I can see how that is misleading and that is my fault. He is not a mut. The guy has bred these 3/4 bloods for like over 30yrs. They came highly reccomended from a man I have alot respect for. I did my research but didnt want to hype him up. ;-)

Brute the only person making money off that bull is the guy selling them.
You have some fine working girls and are a step ahead of most people.
Then you take two steps backwards with a cross bred bull the genetics are too scrambled in the woodpile.
Owning a bull like that is kinda like your mother in law just drove your new Z-71 over a cliff.

Caustic Burno":24ld8vtp said:
Then you take two steps backwards with a cross bred bull the genetics are too scrambled in the woodpile.
Owning a bull like that is kinda like your mother in law just drove your new Z-71 over a cliff.

That may not be a total loss................if she was in it when it went over....

as far as Brute's bull i would love to agree but i worked about 15 calves off a composite bull yesterday that frankly I do not like but his calves on a predominately blk commercial herd are absolute tanks and I know for a fact that he is a 4way cross.

3waycross":up5w4wb2 said:
Caustic Burno":up5w4wb2 said:

That may not be a total loss................if she was in it when it went over....

as far as Brute's bull i would love to agree but i worked about 15 calves off a composite bull yesterday that frankly I do not like but his calves on a predominately blk commercial herd are absolute tanks and I know for a fact that he is a 4way cross.

There is a world of difference 3way in a standardized composite breed and a crossbreed.
The kind of bull he is running used to be quite common in my neck of the woods. There wasn't any real improvement until Gert's ,Beefmaster and Brangus started coming on the scene. We used not hay our cow's in the winter or feed minerals either. I just don't see the sense in going backwards.
Shanghi Pierce, Lasater and Kenendy dug us out of that hole.
When you start getting more than 3 way cross you start rolling the dice on what is going to come out of the woodpile.
That is just science. I have never understood not putting the best bull to produce the highest quality calves on a given set of cows to maximize profit. A bad cow hurt's a bad bull is a disaster.

I agree Caustic but know this, there are a lot of folks who buy bulls with the thought in mind that they are "good enuf".

I just saw someone post on here that it was basically a waste of time to AI commercial cows. Same school of thought.

makes no sense to me why anyone would not want the best of everything, every time, and every day!

Latest posts