Some calves

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Cattle are coming in from range, not as fast as we would like but we are digging them out of the swamps.

Looks like you will be using your slide on delivery this fall as it appears your calves did very well on the grass this year.

Cattle are in great condition. I can't imagine having so much land/cattle that you may not even know where they are all at!! I only have a couple hundred acres, and it's all in small fields/paddocks/woods. If I don't know where they are, they're GONE!!!

gcreekrch said:
Cattle are coming in from range, not as fast as we would like but we are digging them out of the swamps.
cattle look great, not what i would think of as range cattle.

looks like you were digging more than cattle out of the swamps.

ccr said:
gcreekrch said:

What would you think range cattle should look like?

That was the third and last winch across that bit of swamp. Believe me, it was faster than going around.

gcreekrch said:
ccr said:
gcreekrch said:

That was the third and last winch across that bit of swamp. Believe me, it was faster than going around.
don't know anything about range cattle, didn't know they would look so good.

gcreekrch said:

385240611.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Cattle are in great condition. I can't imagine having so much land/cattle that you may not even know where they are all at!! I only have a couple hundred acres, and it's all in small fields/paddocks/woods. If I don't know where they are, they're GONE!!!

You would think maybe someone could figure out some digital audio enhancements to put on a bucket.... :lol:

ccr said:
gcreekrch said:
ccr said:

don't know anything about range cattle, didn't know they would look so good.
Depends on the range, some are fertile and lush.....some not so much. :cowboy:

I agree. Probably shouldn't complain so much about being able to calve 60 head on a 40 acre field over 2-3 months. We can check everything twice a day inside of a couple of hours on foot.

JParrott said:

I agree. Probably shouldn't complain so much about being able to calve 60 head on a 40 acre field over 2-3 months. We can check everything twice a day inside of a couple of hours on foot.

Why so long? Calving pretty much over in 50 days here. Heifers in 35 to 40.

They are contained on 180 acres in 3 groups here for calving. That is the only time they are all at the home place.

I say 2-3 months but that includes the stragglers and such. We don't AI so we let the bulls run with them for at least 60 days, sometimes 90. 80-90% of the herd will calve inside of 45 days of each other but there's always 5-10 that don't breed the first time around. We'll get started with one or two the last week of January and the rest will run until the first or second week of March. Then they drop off and usually get all done by the second week of April.

Latest posts