Sold steers & heifers 8-3-20

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
In late April we weaned some calves at 5-5 1/2 months of age. Planned to sell for grass calves but due to the Corona kept them around on grass and cleaning up a wheat field after baling the hay. They were caked every 5-6 days when checking them. Didn't put much in them. With the lack of rain and the market improving we sold them last week. 90 plus days weaned and 2 rounds of shots. No implants and heifers guaranteed open. Steers weighed 683 @ $1.49 and heifers 620 @ $1.42. both groups sold at the top of their wt group. Saw some bulls bring $1.05 and butcher cows are up also. Many calves being weaned early and cull cows and bulls being sold due to lack of rain. We got some rain Monday night. If prices hold will move sone cull and older cows and a few more calves over yhe next 2 weeks

That's in us dollars? I need to take a handful or three. Good numbers on the steers and bulls.
Month or 2 ago I saw 8 and 9 weight bulls were bringing steer money, might have been better price than steers were getting. Surprised me.

kenny thomas said:
Slaughter bulls and cows are cheaper this week. Most places quoting 5-8 cheaper.

We have 3 sales that are considered the top on this area. The one Monday was 3-5 lower. The other 2 were today. Will be interested to read their results. From the results I saw at other sales in this area I expect they will be in the 5-8 range. A lot of cows and bulls moved early this week after the prices last week. It seemed the feeder market remained strong on the better cattle. Killer cows are still selling good and a few slaughter bulls around a dollar according to what I was told. We still plan to sell some cows unless it continues to drop.

Cull cows will probably drop due to all the back logged feeders. I will sell my calves in November and I'm afraid all the back log will keep prices down still on mine that will be stockers, 4-6weights.

Latest posts