Sold some calves northern Pa

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I sent the last of my calves on Thursday. Markets prices up here aren't as high as what they are in other parts of the country.

These were all black cattle, some of the nicest I had.

5 weight bull 1.76
7 weight steer 1.70
8 weight steer 1.70
8 weight heifer 1.48

4 sold net check was $4750.

Scott

I know you are correct on the prices and jason leonard has told me the same thing. I dont understand why. Someone is making a lot of money. Calves leave here going to the Amish near Lancaster costing almost a dollar more than what your 5wt brought.

Yes KT, And I hope Denver sees that above post. I just sold some 9 wt steers through a Northern WV feeder cattle pool at $195cwt picked up here. I was happy with that as they were bought as 4 wt red limmi bulls with horns at $125cwt last fall.
We are seeing some 3 and 4 wt steers bring $3 at our special feeder sales.....they are being bought to go to wheat in Okla, later this fall.

Here's a market report for the only other livestock market (about 3 hours away) around here, besides the one I have to send my cows to which is over an hour away.

Mercer Livestock Auction
Market Report for September 16, 2014

Weather: Cloudy, Mild

Commercial Bulls: (Hvy. Wt) $125.00 to $140.00
Commercial Cows: (Core) $100.00 to $117.00

Fed Colored Steers: (High Choice) $155.00 to $160.00
Fed Colored Heifers: (High Choice) $149.50 to $153.50

Feeder Steers: (Core) $185.00 to $240.00
Feeder Heifers: (Core) $190.00 to $250.00
Feeder Bulls: (Core) $185.00 to $240.00

Calves: (Core) $270.00 to $340.00

43 Ringside Buyers
393 Internet Buyers/Viewers

REMINDER: Feeder Cattle & Brood Cow Consignment
Auction Fri., Sept. 19 @ 6 PM!

Go to www.mercerlivestockauction.com for exciting market news, promotions, Open Buying Day & Special Feeder Sales. Every auction live internet viewing /bidding!

24 Hr. Market Report Line 800.685.7552 ext. 215

kenny thomas":3augv6se said:
Now I am confused. What does (Core) mean?

I have no idea. Looks like my prices were inline with the "fed colored" market. I assume that means butcher ready? I thought of mine as feeders, based on their age and weight.

millstreaminn":33kzb76q said:
kenny thomas":33kzb76q said:
Now I am confused. What does (Core) mean?

I have no idea. Looks like my prices were inline with the "fed colored" market. I assume that means butcher ready? I thought of mine as feeders, based on their age and weight.
Yours are a long way from fed. Those would probably be from 1200 to 1400 or heavier and fed ready for slaughter. I went to their website and it didnt help either. I have been to sales most of my life but have never been to one that there were 43 ringside buyers. Plus 393 internet buyers/viewers. Must be a heck of a sale.

Latest posts