Sold Four Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Good for you.... the prices are scary... does make you think twice about keeping much...

Sold 2 nut cases last week, were too small to go in the group a month ago... partly because they would run out the barn every time you went in to feed and wouldn't come back in until you were far away... and it you accidentally went in there and they were still there, they would go through you to get out... have no idea why..they got in with the cull cows and they went right on the trailer and we were so glad... they were making the heifers in that group skittish too....
1 red baldy steer (herf cow & ang bull) 445 lbs... 3.22 = 1432.90
1 black steer 425 lbs.....327.50 =1391.88
4 cull cows... 1005, 1100, 1170, 1375.... all brought between 1.04 and 1.17... $1045 for the lightest, $1608. for the heaviest ... totally unbelievable...all open cows...Before commission)

Got 3 more to go from the last check... 2 younger ones that will be lighter, as they have some dairy in them (1/4) and 1 old blk beef cow (no teeth) but they have smaller calves so going to hold them a little bit as I get calves transitioned to eating more grain... and they are going... one has a dink calf it will get sold... the other 2 calves are not bad... and will match more calves later on so will probably hold them... but then again... at 13-1400 for a 4 wt calf, might just ship them too....

We kept most of the heifers and sold every steer this spring... including those 2 nut cases recently. When we bring the group of 30 or so off pasture where we have normally run steers for the season, we will pick and choose who to keep since we have been culling more cows than normal... and NOT seeing where it would pencil out to buy replacements in the 2,-3500 ranges... Have about 12 or so, to be bred starting in a couple weeks... I don't like calves before mid-March with the heifers.... Bulls going in with the cows starting this weekend, then the one goes in with the heifers in about 3-4 weeks. Last year we only kept 5 heifers for replacements, as prices were up some then, but got to get the cow numbers back up... so many are aging out so when they come up open, they get sold...
Still tossing around selling half the herd at these prices...

Gotta love those prices!

I saw your bull for sale on WKY Craigslist. I think he's the best looking one of yours I've seen yet.
Thanks BFE. He's a Good Bull, I truly haven't found a fault with him. Even leaning to give him the full time job if he hangs around a few more months. Right now I've only exposed him to the cow that twinned.

415 lb. Black Baldy Bull @ 3.43 lb.
445 lb. Black Baldy Heifer @ 2.80 lb.
565 lb. Red Baldy Bull @ 2.76 lb.
620 lb. Solid Black Bull @ 2.64 lb.
Good Prices for Western KY. Probably shouldn't retain any. Holding some good ones, but the prices makes you think, Should I Do That!
Guthrie?

Every day I debate myself on keeping what I'm wanting to. They're about to get big enough to breed, what are good bred heifers bringing now?
Around here, open heifers, that are guaranteed open, at the local commercial sales, will bring more than a bred will. Different story at a production sale, where the dates AI'ed or bred are disclosed, and the information on the bull, etc. Sometimes., the bull may even be there too. People are hesitant to buy bred commercial heifers, for all the reasons people give for raising your own rather than buying them at the sale.

Around here, open heifers, that are guaranteed open, at the local commercial sales, will bring more than a bred will. Different story at a production sale, where the dates AI'ed or bred are disclosed, and the information on the bull, etc. Sometimes., the bull may even be there too. People are hesitant to buy bred commercial heifers, for all the reasons people give for raising your own rather than buying them at the sale.
I'm sure that's right.

If it was me, and I had the heifers I would sell them as open. People around here will pay $200-$300 more a head for open heifers, consistently.

Latest posts